F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seems like i know everyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Seems like i know everyone

New member, been reading most of the F-type posts since January. Took close to 2 months to read 200 page of threads. No biggie, what else is there to do during a pandemic, when it's cold, snowing and your retired? Read and enjoy some good beer.

It seems like I already know most of you. Members have come and gone. Some by choice or not (BANNED). Probably for the better. Others keep moving to a better F-type. Seems like a well rounded bunch of enthusiasts, travelers and gearheads. There are a couple stuffed shirts who wouldn't buy a Viper or Corvette, because of the cliental sitting and waiting in the service department (pre-pandemic).

I'm sure I will not be here forever, too many other cars to enjoy. I don't have the funds to keep them all. I usually get the itch to switch after two years. Although my last car I had 7 years. 2006 Maserati GT manual. Sweet high revving motor. F-type sounds much better.

Anyway, my 2014 F-type S V8 in Ultimate Black was delivered mid January. Two days later, the snow started falling and continued for 3 weeks. 36 inch total snowfall for the 3 weeks. Needless to say, all I could do was stare at it, sometimes with my beer goggles. Could not wax the car because the garage isn't heated. All I could do was shovel snow, read the manual, shovel, read the forum and shovel.

If you were to tell me last year, I would be a JAAAG owner, I would have bet against it. Every sports car I have ever owned (last 40 years) has been a 3 pedal manual. I saw a white coupe in the neighborhood a couple times. I liked the taillights and car itself, reminded me of the Aston Vantage V8. I was actually considering the Vantage, Ferrari 355, Boxster S or another Viper ( the wife hates Corvettes). I had no idea the F-type had any muscle or grunt. Then my tire guy tells me he purchased a JAAAG. He shows me his 2014 S V8 Dark Sapphire. I get in to see if I fit, being 6'3" 200lbs. Adjust the steering wheel and seat, I fit. I would like more leg room, but all sports cars are the same. I have an F150 if I want more leg room LOL. Then he hands me the keys and says to start it up. I do, Holy ****. Then he informs me HP is from 490 to 550 depending on the model. No ****?

Now my list consists of 5 cars. Turns out I had a very hard time getting into the Boxster. Ferrari, too old, lacking creature comforts, very expensive to maintain. Vantage compared to the JAAAG. More bang (pun intended) for the buck with the F-type. That narrows it down, JAAAG vs Viper. Hands down the Viper wins. I get the manual trans, easy and cheaper to service, and the dealer is 2 miles away. Wrong!!! For the last few years, all I hear from my wife, " I wish you would buy a car I can drive". A few years ago she was willing to learn to drive a stick. I took her out on a Sunday to a huge empty parking lot. She did pretty good actually. She didn't think so, she said too many things to think about. I was the 3rd person to teach her. She doesn't like change I guess. She only drives 1 1/2 miles to work. So I am the person willing to give it a shot with the paddles. So when I tell her about the F-type, first thing she says, "I suppose it's a stick". "NOPE, it's an automatic". Show her pictures and she says "That's nice". Decision made.

I was actually looking for a Grey F-type R. I figured to be searching for 6 months or so, pandemic doesn't help. Almost immediately I find this 2014 S V8 fairly close by in Iowa. A doctor owned, one owner, with 4900 miles, clean CARFAX and service receipts. I just cannot get away from black vehicles

It's not Grey and it's not an R. I have never owned a convertible, coupes always look better. I couldn't pass it up'. Can't beat the sound of the exhaust with the top down! My wife's expression when her client clued her in on the 500HP - "Priceless". She never asked, so I never mentioned it. She got her automatic!

So that's my story. I will be doing some wrenching myself. By reading all threads I learned quite a few things.

Just a special thanks in advance to all the knowledgeable members who contribute to this forum.
Just one question. My gas cap will not lock. Could it be a fuse? LOL
PS
Everyday is like Fourth of July with this exhaust.

The following 8 users liked this post by SouthSider:
DJS (04-07-2021), djyankees31 (04-07-2021), ferrral (04-07-2021), JacksonvilleJag (04-07-2021), Mahjik (04-06-2021), mikezcar (04-07-2021), mrjohnt (04-06-2021), V8SPitt (04-06-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:20 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Great story and welcome. The V8S is a blast as its RWD and I’ve loved my 5+ years of owning it. I can’t image selling it even though I get the same itch every two years as well. I just get rid of my “practical car” and get something else to replace that while knowing anytime I want I can drive pure joy. Enjoy!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome! She’s a beaut! 4900 miles on a ‘14?! People need to start driving these cars!
about the exhaust, I haven’t used my radio since ownership. That tells you something

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 03:50 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Welcome from another V8S owner. I've had mine for a little over a year and I can't stop looking at it or grinning like a fool every time I start it.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 AM

I can't believe how great these cars sound. Sure beats the old Cherry Bomb and Thrush mufflers we would install back in the day. Ha Ha.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Gas caps on F-types in the U.S. do not lock. Several threads on here about it. You are in luck though. Locking gas caps for your year are available. Not easy to find, but you can get one. Last time I checked Coventry West had them. Also try Petrolcaps in the U.K.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:38 AM

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough. Sorry, but thanks for the reply anyway. Back when these cars came out, this would come up almost every week. The owners manual seems to be one size fits all. Through the forum I also found out my car doesn't come with launch control. Saved myself some head scratching and cussing. LOL

I worry more about somebody altering it's luxurious lines or paint, than somebody getting high from the premium gas. LOL

Old 04-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

OMG. Essentially the same story here. I would assume that you are on the VOA website. I made a few posts over there on the Jag and got dismissed out of hand. Stated that there would be a natural progression to the F Type. People generally do not like the Vette...so the choices are pretty small. P cars (some of them), the Jag and a few others. I find that the Jag is easier to "drive fast" than the Viper.. And yes.....the 14 has great exhaust. Really underrated car. And you got very low miles. Jags are stout cars. Really don't break much. Maintenance is easy. Oil change from the top. Super simple. Nothing really goes wrong. Owned different models for 20 years. Really good luck with them.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM

Haven't been on the VOA forum for years. It was this forum a couple people had a disdain toward the "everyday Joe" clients of Dodge and Chevy. If I had that attitude, I would be wishing I had a locking gas cap.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthSider
Through the forum I also found out my car doesn't come with launch control.
Yeah, only the V6 and 4-pot have launch control - I guess the V8 just needs to be floored ....

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

People who buy F-Types are a similar type of weird. I like weird.

The following 4 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Carbuff2 (04-08-2021), JacksonvilleJag (04-08-2021), scm (04-07-2021), SouthSider (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Your car will delight you. I wasn't going to add anything to the v8 s owner's glowing reviews but this happened tonight. I occasionally drive to an area atop a significant hill in my neighborhood to watch the sunset. I decided to to that tonight. This place also happens to be a hangout for high school and college kids in the area. They socialize, play music, make out, smoke pot, etc.

The sun had set and I was ready to leave. In the RWD cars its easy to do a Starsky and Hutch style 180. So that's what I did to reverse direction. The one of the kids shouted "let her eat!" Which I had never heard before, but am guess meant to mash the throttle. So I slowed and asked them what time it was. They said "its 7:45" so I asked again "what time is it?" 7:45 was the response again. By then I was stopped and one of the kids said " what time is it, Dad?" I replied, "its burnout time!" And I laid down a nice 50 foot burnout w smoke roiling out of the tires. They cheered.

I felt like a hero. I apologize for my immaturity, but it really made my day. Will never sell the ole v8 s.

The following 3 users liked this post by ferrral:
DJS (04-08-2021), JacksonvilleJag (04-09-2021), Mbourne (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
Your car will delight you. I wasn't going to add anything to the v8 s owner's glowing reviews but this happened tonight. I occasionally drive to an area atop a significant hill in my neighborhood to watch the sunset. I decided to to that tonight. This place also happens to be a hangout for high school and college kids in the area. They socialize, play music, make out, smoke pot, etc.

The sun had set and I was ready to leave. In the RWD cars its easy to do a Starsky and Hutch style 180. So that's what I did to reverse direction. The one of the kids shouted "let her eat!" Which I had never heard before, but am guess meant to mash the throttle. So I slowed and asked them what time it was. They said "its 7:45" so I asked again "what time is it?" 7:45 was the response again. By then I was stopped and one of the kids said " what time is it, Dad?" I replied, "its burnout time!" And I laid down a nice 50 foot burnout w smoke roiling out of the tires. They cheered.

I felt like a hero. I apologize for my immaturity, but it really made my day. Will never sell the ole v8 s.
Well played!