Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select gear to manoeuvre

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Select gear to manoeuvre

Hi all,

Has anyone had the above error appear on the dash before and can tell me what the cause is or how to fix it?

I stopped at a red light, the start/stop kicked in. When i took my foot off the brake the engine didnt restart and the above message appeared. I could select neutral but no other gear, had to stop and restart the car to start moving again. Since this car is only 3 weeks old im a tad confused and a little bit annoyed at the random gremlins...

Any help appreciated before i call the dealership

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 05-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I've seen that when I had my door open. Does your car think your door is open?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM

I would hope not, I had driven 30 miles before that warning came up when i stopped at a traffic light

Old 05-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I seem to remember a while back we had a couple similar reports on the forum that stemmed from a weak battery.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,269 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by antuk
Hi all,

Has anyone had the above error appear on the dash before and can tell me what the cause is or how to fix it?

I stopped at a red light, the start/stop kicked in. When i took my foot off the brake the engine didnt restart and the above message appeared. I could select neutral but no other gear, had to stop and restart the car to start moving again. Since this car is only 3 weeks old im a tad confused and a little bit annoyed at the random gremlins...

Any help appreciated before i call the dealership

Thanks,
Anthony
The "random gremlins" in modern Jaguars (and not only Jaguars, definitely not), are primarily caused by a battery unable to put out full voltage - either not fully charged in the first place or allowed to gradually run down by lack of use (quite possibly the case with your new car) or short runs or a combination of these factors. A fully charged battery chases the gremlins away. If the car is not to be used almost every day, then investing in a CTEK battery maintainer (and using it) will eliminate any such problems and will also greatly extend battery life.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I also wonder about the OBD port use by the dealership that drains the battery if not done correctly? Maybe someone can recall the issue. I think this what happened to my less than 1 week old car. Battery was recharged by the dealer to full strength and haven't had the hint of an issue since.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Funny you say that as ive just bought a CTEK yesterday...

I was having battery issues when I first got the car last month, and it has already been back to the dealership once with battery warnings even though I was driving 100 miles a day and it was a week old.

They couldnt find a fault and just said the battery needed charging (which i wasnt convinced of since the warnings started on day 2 and they told me it was fully charged when i picked it up). Since i got it back the battery warnings have stopped however now im wondering if there is an underlying issue still....

Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Turn off the start stop everytime. It has to help with battery drain. Better to be idling rather than keep using the starter?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by antuk
Funny you say that as ive just bought a CTEK yesterday...

I was having battery issues when I first got the car last month, and it has already been back to the dealership once with battery warnings even though I was driving 100 miles a day and it was a week old.

They couldnt find a fault and just said the battery needed charging (which i wasnt convinced of since the warnings started on day 2 and they told me it was fully charged when i picked it up). Since i got it back the battery warnings have stopped however now im wondering if there is an underlying issue still....
Read the threads on battery issues. The energy management module needs to be rebooted occasionally (battery disconnect) after the OBD has been tapped into by the dealer (or a backyard tuner).