F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my MY15 F-TYPE R or not???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Selling my MY15 F-TYPE R or not???

Not sure. From one side I feel I have to sell my f-type r before than my driver license will be revoked, on the other side I don't want to let her go.
What should I do??

The following users liked this post:
Roost5o (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 429 Likes on 313 Posts

this car is going to be a valuable collector ,according to JD Power , just go to rehab

The following 2 users liked this post by dennis black:
mario41051 (08-04-2022), Mark7Seven (08-08-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

get an SVR.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
mario41051 (08-05-2022), Mark7Seven (08-08-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 07:26 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Great video. To bad the weather is gonna be lousy for a week here. Otherwise I jump into mine now. Keep it please.

mario41051 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I have MY15 S, 40,000 miles, 1st owner, ordered to my specification. Love the car but recently had coolant leak. Dealer fixed (fortunately top assembly so supercharger wasn't removed). Dealer also found broken wheel stud which required replacement of front hub. $3,500 bill. I like my dealer but this is going to be expensive.
I have the same issue Mario has: sell now (while everything works) or commit to long term relationship, roll-up my sleeves and get to work.

If I keep her I'm going to do a rebuild of the top of the engine: remove the super-charger, replace the water pump and the plastic pipes (already have the new aluminum pipes, but not the water pump). Service the supercharger with new oil (something the dealer doesn't do), replace gaskets, belts, hoses as I go. Inspect the plastic bits for cracks and wear, see if anyone has a better replacement part to the plastic water manifolds. I don't want a "winter project" -- I want to dive in, dismantle, order parts, put back together and be back on the road in a timely fashion.
I have the Topix manual for my VIN and the wonderful support here on the forum.
The cars are complex, but "anything built by man can be fixed by man."

I'm on the fence too about sell/keep.

I picked up a Saab 900 Turbo S convertible for a friend, I'm keeping it for a 2 months: everything works on the Saab (except the AC), Over on the Saab forums lots of DIY advice but Saab 900 parts are "unobtanium." If we could be assured we will have parts for our F-Types, I'd be inclined to keep her.
Virtually every nut and bolt is available for the 50+ year old E-Type and you can even buy a new build E-Type, will people feel the same way about the F-Type in 40 years? For awhile JLR was offering an electric conversion of the E-Type so owners could "save and preserve the original drive train" (lack of interest and it was discontinued). I can see JLR offering an electric conversion kit at some point for the F-Type (more horse power and a flux-capacitor?), the Aluminum bodies should be good for a long long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
datriani (08-15-2022), mario41051 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 12:15 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

No one can tell the OP what is "best", as only he knows all the details.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:00 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure I understand this point and appears to be someone trying to boost their views on Youtube for their 15 seconds of fame.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Not sure I understand this point and appears to be someone trying to boost their views on Youtube for their 15 seconds of fame.
Glad I wasnt the only one a little perplexed by the original post. And for the life of me, I still can’t figure why people insist on asking car forums what they should do - it’s one thing to compare two options and get feedback from those that have experience, but asking random people about significant purchase or selling decisions doesn’t make a lot of sense to me especially when the only person that knows all the details is the person asking,

Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 AM

My favorite pointless topic is "what color car should I buy." Ugh!

gg2684 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

It's all about driving views to their youtube channel. We have several milking this forum for the same thing.
Trying to be a star I guess.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:05 AM

Social commentary/mini rant:
Never having become a major YTer, I theorize about how crafty YT is, using our human nature against us, using greed, insecurity, and insincerity to cause people to produce whatever they think necessary to drive up view count. Sure, some YTers generate sincerely useful content and it's clear that they aren't in it for the bucks. Sadly, the vast majority are, a sad desperate clamor to become an influencer (boy, if ever there was a word hinting at just how pathetic it can get, it's that). Of course, content producers are only half the problem. Who are all these sad insecure people who pump up those view counts... all the rest of us. I only click thumbs-up on truly useful content, but pleas or demands that I do so automatically get a thumbs down.
And all the poor OP wanted was to know if he should sell or keep his car, hah.

scm (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 08:33 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmm, I never considered boosting YouTube video watches when I posted my quandary: sell or fix-it-myself after 7-years?
My decision is personal: I need to balance my mechanical ability with my love for the car. And weigh the likelihood of success against screwing something. The detailed postings of repairs on these forums are the major factor in making DIY possible.
Regarding YouTube views, I loved the Tom Hiddleston videos done in 2014 for the F-Type ("Art of Villainy with Tom Hiddleston - Jaguar Ad" - link below).
When the XE came out I was invited to a Jaguar event to drive the XE and "star in a Jaguar commercial" - I dressed the part and did the video, then I posted my video as "The Art of Villainy with Michael Simon_XE Coupe_Jaguar" -- I am EMBARRISED to say my title's similarity with the JLR videos garnered me more than 15,000 views. It was fun, but I'm not into unwanted attention. The F-Type gets enough attention when I drive it like I stole it.

Jaguar Ad: Art of Villainy with Tom Hiddleston

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
datriani (08-15-2022), mario41051 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I too had to make decision to keep car. My bought new '14V6s vert.. Needed front pads and rotors this year so I did all 4 with Porterfields and rotors, spent more than just front standard. 4 months after that I lost 2 fuel injectors on one side. I replaced 3 and new set of plugs, expensive even at indy shop. Now I'm starting to show coolant pipe leak. I already have aluminum replacement and rear as well. All of these things are happening at 8.5 years but only 26000 miles. Asked if Jag would supply injectors as a known problem they said they only did one year past normal warranty, for me 3 years ago. By time is all done maybe $6k. Way less than even a year of payments. Nothing but normal maintance and a set of Michelins up till now.

The following 2 users liked this post by bjg625:
mario41051 (08-10-2022), TR64ever (08-09-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 06:53 AM

wrong guess

Originally Posted by Whatsnext

Old 08-10-2022, 07:04 AM

I still have more than one year of extended warranty and I have been a pretty lucky owner so far with no relevant problem.
Only problem I have is that when I drive her, she is “demanding” for pushing her gas throttle and the last thing I want is to get my driver license suspended.

Originally Posted by bjg625
I too had to make decision to keep car. My bought new '14V6s vert.. Needed front pads and rotors this year so I did all 4 with Porterfields and rotors, spent more than just front standard. 4 months after that I lost 2 fuel injectors on one side. I replaced 3 and new set of plugs, expensive even at indy shop. Now I'm starting to show coolant pipe leak. I already have aluminum replacement and rear as well. All of these things are happening at 8.5 years but only 26000 miles. Asked if Jag would supply injectors as a known problem they said they only did one year past normal warranty, for me 3 years ago. By time is all done maybe $6k. Way less than even a year of payments. Nothing but normal maintance and a set of Michelins up till now.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:06 AM

maybe responding which color is the one that holds more the value of the car or it is a better fit for the car is a response to expect by a forum of supposed car enthusiasts?

Originally Posted by kb58
My favorite pointless topic is "what color car should I buy." Ugh!

Old 08-10-2022, 07:13 AM

elaborate this type of commentary is pretty sad.

Originally Posted by kb58
Social commentary/mini rant:
Never having become a major YTer, I theorize about how crafty YT is, using our human nature against us, using greed, insecurity, and insincerity to cause people to produce whatever they think necessary to drive up view count. Sure, some YTers generate sincerely useful content and it's clear that they aren't in it for the bucks. Sadly, the vast majority are, a sad desperate clamor to become an influencer (boy, if ever there was a word hinting at just how pathetic it can get, it's that). Of course, content producers are only half the problem. Who are all these sad insecure people who pump up those view counts... all the rest of us. I only click thumbs-up on truly useful content, but pleas or demands that I do so automatically get a thumbs down.
And all the poor OP wanted was to know if he should sell or keep his car, hah.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:21 AM

maybe a forum is there for that reason?
a forum is just like going to the bar to discuss with random people or either friends or pro, engaging discussion an be relaxed.

so many comments from people that need love in here.

Originally Posted by gg2684
Glad I wasnt the only one a little perplexed by the original post. And for the life of me, I still can’t figure why people insist on asking car forums what they should do - it’s one thing to compare two options and get feedback from those that have experience, but asking random people about significant purchase or selling decisions doesn’t make a lot of sense to me especially when the only person that knows all the details is the person asking,

The following 2 users liked this post by mario41051:
Borbor (08-14-2022), datriani (08-15-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 09:34 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mario41051
maybe a forum is there for that reason?
a forum is just like going to the bar to discuss with random people or either friends or pro, engaging discussion an be relaxed.

so many comments from people that need love in here.
Thanks, but wrong guess; I also don't frequent bars and if I did, I would not be seeking financial and life advice. What is needed is more information to provide an educated response to the original question.

Nodnarb (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by gg2684
Thanks, but wrong guess; I also don't frequent bars and if I did, I would not be seeking financial and life advice. What is needed is more information to provide an educated response to the original question.
Exactly. I'm just tired of people asking questions but not supplying any background information. We don't know their experiences, their background, their financial situation, their emotional state, etc, etc.

As an aside, I'm on other car forums and someone recently asked "how do I design suspension?" Insert facepalm here

Nodnarb (08-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Selling my MY15 F-TYPE R or not???