F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In for service, HVAC and cruise control question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Default In for service, HVAC and cruise control question.

Hey all,
So I took mine in for the first service last Friday. The service advisor was upset that I had a page full of warranty work to be done. When I made the appt, the scheduler said no need to tell her now, just bring in the list. I didn't check my app Friday, so they might have looked at it then, but since Monday it appears to be locked up tight. Two calls to the service advisor have not been returned.
Two things I am wondering if I should even deal with.
HVAC is fine for a while, then after about 1/2 hour,
- if heat is on, it cycles (every couple of minutes) from hot to cold. I mean really cold, as in I check to see if the A/C got turned on by mistake.
- if A/C is on, it cycles between cold and not cold. I'm guessing all cars do that, the compressor turning on & off. But I've never seen it this noticeable.
I don't really want them driving it around for a 1/2 hr anyway, but has anyone else had this issue?

I mentioned this one once before, cruise control does not track going down hills. Some folks (including Unhingd I believe) said that their's tracks closely. This is a pretty steep, long hill. I took my loaner Discovery down the same road yesterday and it also did not track. Starting at about 50, it quickly hit 55, 60, etc... I'd like to know other folk's experience on this too.
Y'all are such a great resource, thanks for all that you do!

Old 02-15-2018, 03:11 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

My cruise doesn’t hold the speed downhill, I don’t think that it’s supposed to. Perhaps the speed limiter does, never used it.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Crusie control on my range rover vogue used to hold speed up and down hill. Speed limiter on F type never goes more man 1mph over preset speed on mine

Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I mentioned this one once before, cruise control does not track going down hills. Some folks (including Unhingd I believe) said that their's tracks closely. This is a pretty steep, long hill. I took my loaner Discovery down the same road yesterday and it also did not track. Starting at about 50, it quickly hit 55, 60, etc... I'd like to know other folk's experience on this too.
I'll check mine again on a long, steep downhill. However, mine might hold the speed better going downhill because of the shorter final gear ratio on the MT. (I turn 2500 rpm at 70mph instead of 1900 in top gear)

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-15-2018 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

My experience with my F type (auto) is cruise seems to vary throttle only, hence it will maintain on flat and uphill.

Downhill it seems to rely on engine braking so it's ok on gentle inclines but on steep hills it will increase speed by five to ten mph unless you brake, which will disable cruise

Old 02-15-2018, 07:06 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

- if heat is on, it cycles (every couple of minutes) from hot to cold. I mean really cold, as in I check to see if the A/C got turned on by mistake.
- if A/C is on, it cycles between cold and not cold. I'm guessing all cars do that, the compressor turning on & off. But I've never seen it this noticeable.
I don't really want them driving it around for a 1/2 hr anyway, but has anyone else had this issue?
Mine does exactly this unless I select the temp I want and leave it on auto. As a consequence I am on auto all year round and just adjust temp according to season. No more hot / cold blasts just a consistent temperature.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Great, thanks folks! Yeah, I have never used the limiter either, maybe I will give that a look. Paul_59, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.
ek993, thanks, I have mine on auto too, but I do turn off the A/C switch. Figure I don't need the A/C on when I don't need it, just more drag on the engine and a probably infinitesimal reduction in mileage.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Try leaving the AC on and see if that works. You arent going to see any negative side effects, it’s great at keeping the windows mist free in winter and it helps keep the AC system rubber seals lunricated.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Neither cruise control nor limiter affects brakes, only throttle. If it is a steep hill your F will pick up speed. You need ‘adaptive’ cruise control to affect both.
Cheers!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 AM

Thanks again folks, I guess I have my answer, at least for the CC. jbajor, I tested it on 17. Will test HVAC with a/c on.
Still no call back from the dealer after a week. He set the expectation to call the second day and never did. Two attempts at calling. Will call again tomorrow...

Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

My car is a 2015MY RHD auto:

I have mine on auto too, but I do turn off the A/C switch. Figure I don't need the A/C on when I don't need it.
If I turn AC off then auto also turns off. If I turn auto on with AC off then AC turns on (as in the switch, the compressor might not be on).
Does your 2016 behave differently?

Originally Posted by malbec
My cruise doesn’t hold the speed downhill, I don’t think that it’s supposed to. Perhaps the speed limiter does, never used it.
There is a reasonably steep hill on my way to the office. I've driven down it in all the Jaguar cars in my signature, and an XE, and none of them hold the speed downhill unless changing to a lower gear to force engine breaking. As others have mentioned the limiter does not have any affect either.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks xdave! On mine, if you hit auto, a/c also comes on. If I turn off a/c, the light for auto also goes out but "auto" stays illuminated on the center (? it's been so loooong since I have seen it) HVAC control. So I was thinking auto was still on.
Thanks for the confirmation on the CC.
If I ever hear from the dealer, I can tell him to scratch those two off the list. Day eight that it has been gone, five days since the service advisor said he would call. Repeated calls over the week get no call back. Friday afternoon here, called several times today, including one to the service mgr.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey all,
So I took mine in for the first service last Friday. The service advisor was upset that I had a page full of warranty work to be done. When I made the appt, the scheduler said no need to tell her now, just bring in the list. I didn't check my app Friday, so they might have looked at it then, but since Monday it appears to be locked up tight. Two calls to the service advisor have not been returned.
Two things I am wondering if I should even deal with.

Not certain what you mean about "Cruise control tracking" because what you described sounds "normal". There isn't any type of speed limitation available to a cruise system (e.g. it won't down shift for you) so not certain why you would have expected that. No car manufacturer limits downhill descent at highway speeds* if the hill is steep enough. Not Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, ... none.

Those on here saying their RR does it may not realize you are talking about a steep descent where there is no ability to not INCREASE speed without manually down shifting.

* The ONLY way the RR or my BMW X5d will "limit" downhill speed is by using the DOWNHILL DESCENT option which is limited to something like 15 MPH if I recall correctly (I've only used it once down a super steep road at a ski resort when the roads were both icy and snow covered).

Last edited by ndabunka; 02-16-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Thanks ndabunka.
Here is the latest on this. I fiiinally got a hold of the service advisor yesterday. Get this, he FN LOST my paperwork!!! I guess he never even listened to any of the msgs I left. And although she didn't call me back, I guess the service mgr asked him what the deal was with the car. Um... wut?? He then realized he hadn't done ANYthing. 10 days so far... He promised that they would start Monday morning. He promised to “do whatever it takes to make it up to me.” Taking suggestions

Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Not certain what you mean about "Cruise control tracking" because what you described sounds "normal". There isn't any type of speed limitation available to a cruise system (e.g. it won't down shift for you) so not certain why you would have expected that. No car manufacturer limits downhill descent at highway speeds* if the hill is steep enough. Not Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, ... none.

Those on here saying their RR does it may not realize you are talking about a steep descent where there is no ability to not INCREASE speed without manually down shifting.

* The ONLY way the RR or my BMW X5d will "limit" downhill speed is by using the DOWNHILL DESCENT option which is limited to something like 15 MPH if I recall correctly (I've only used it once down a super steep road at a ski resort when the roads were both icy and snow covered).
range rover vogue tdv8 cruise control definitely limits speed to max set. uses brakes and accelerator. Nothing to do with hill decent which is a low speed/ off road function

Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Horrible cust svc, Misujerr. And with President's Day Monday, were they even open? Making it up to you? Hmmm, how about a coupon for a full service, with no expiration
date, so you can use it after the warranty? Or new wipers, if you're due?
BTWay, which dealer is this?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
range rover vogue tdv8 cruise control definitely limits speed to max set. uses brakes and accelerator. Nothing to do with hill decent which is a low speed/ off road function
+1 my RRS definitely limits max speed - I did a long drive from CT to Toronto last summer and had it on cruise for hours - even on long stretches of highway on a decline it never went over set speed.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:08 AM

OK, I forgot to say, in his defense (sorta) he was the only one there all week so I'm sure was frazzled AF. But still...
Don't know if they worked on it yesterday but it did move from across the st. to the actual service center. And today it said "unlocked, truck open." Promising? My brother said "maybe they were looking for the paperwork."
16fnrbrg, will PM you.
Thanks folks! Will update when something happens.