F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Indicator at 2390 miles and 4 months!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Service Indicator at 2390 miles and 4 months!

Si I got an alert that the car needs to go in for service, on the App. Called the dealer and he said it was simply a case of resetting the service clock, as it is 1 year or 16000 miles, and the cars/computers sit around prior to delivery.

Im surprised my dealer did not zero the clock out before i took delivery....now I have to drive an hour to get this done!

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 17jag
Si I got an alert that the car needs to go in for service, on the App. Called the dealer and he said it was simply a case of resetting the service clock, as it is 1 year or 16000 miles, and the cars/computers sit around prior to delivery.

Im surprised my dealer did not zero the clock out before i took delivery....now I have to drive an hour to get this done!

Thanks
You can do this yourself...no need to go to dealer:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ator-reset.pdf

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Default Will try this

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can do this yourself...no need to go to dealer:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ator-reset.pdf
Thank you!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Oil degrade with time. First oil change is the most important. Why would you defer it? This is how engine problems start.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 AM

At 2400 miles and 4 months, I am not deferring - my plan was to change the oil anyway at 5000, but with the first service being 16000, the indicator should not come on now!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

The cars have no way of knowing when they were sold into "service date" so if yours is a late 2016 or an early 2017 model, it's quite possible it is just being triggered at the one year (regardless of mileage) interval since it first woke up. I don't know if the handover checklist is supposed to include a reset the clock procedure to take into account the "waiting to be sold" period.

I just had my 32K service at two years on my 2016 when I only have 10K on the clock.

As Unhingd helpfully pointed out, you can reset it yourself if you don't have a tool or a nearby dealership.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I have this same problem. Spoke with multiple service people. You can reset it now, but it will be off for the rest of the car's life. I chose to just let it run now and reset it at service. (As I type this, I am thinking, why can't it just be reset now, then reset again at one year service? Can it be only reset at 15K intervals?)

Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I have this same problem. Spoke with multiple service people. You can reset it now, but it will be off for the rest of the car's life. I chose to just let it run now and reset it at service. (As I type this, I am thinking, why can't it just be reset now, then reset again at one year service? Can it be only reset at 15K intervals?)
I don't understand. It's only off until the next service when you reset it again. Then it will be tracking the true time and distance until the subsequent service is due. It doesn't track time and distance cumulatively.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by 17jag

Thanks
I've heard of this happening several times. Presuming the car had very low miles on it when you picked it up, the oil would be considered to be as good as new. The 12 month/16K mile interval started ticking the day you took delivery.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Unhingd, I don't understand it either, but that is what two different service managers told me, reset and have it be off, or live with it. With a few months perspective, that doesn't really make any sense at all. Thanks again for the link!
Mikey, for mine, it came to the dealership in May of 2016, about a year before I got the alert. About four months and 2000 miles after I got it...

Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've heard of this happening several times. Presuming the car had very low miles on it when you picked it up, the oil would be considered to be as good as new. The 12 month/16K mile interval started ticking the day you took delivery.
The oil doesn't get magically rejuvenated when you take delivery of the car. If it is 1 year old oil, it should be replaced.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The oil doesn't get magically rejuvenated when you take delivery of the car. If it is 1 year old oil, it should be replaced.
Nor does virtually new oil go bad sitting in an unused engine. Opening a bottle of oil to use half for a top up does not cause the rest to go bad.

Originally Posted by SinF
If it is 1 year old oil, it should be replaced.
I wish this myth would go away. It applies only to oil that has been used but not yet to it's mileage/KM limit.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

When I took my 2017 F Type with 2k miles in for some TSBs, the dealer also said I was due for a maintenance. It does seem a bit early but then again 1 year/16k miles does seem like a long time for an oil change for a performance vehicle.

My maintenance is covered under the free maintenance plan, so I am not complaining.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I know it may seem hard to believe that you can disregard the old wives tale of changing your oil every 5K miles and actually get 16K miles out a synthetic fill but I seem to recall someone on here sent their oil samples into Blackstone labs for analysis and the conclusion was, yes, 16K is totally achievable and safe...

I think the small print on the free maintenance plan says you have to get it done within a month or 1000 miles of the "due date/mileage" otherwise you forfeit it. When I was having problems with the out of sync service indicator (dash and mobile app) my dealer said they'd track the maintenance records to be sure I didn't lose out.

Of course if you want to keep oil chugging at 5K, it's your dime...

Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I know it may seem hard to believe that you can disregard the old wives tale of changing your oil every 5K miles and actually get 16K miles out a synthetic fill but I seem to recall someone on here sent their oil samples into Blackstone labs for analysis and the conclusion was, yes, 16K is totally achievable and safe...

I think the small print on the free maintenance plan says you have to get it done within a month or 1000 miles of the "due date/mileage" otherwise you forfeit it. When I was having problems with the out of sync service indicator (dash and mobile app) my dealer said they'd track the maintenance records to be sure I didn't lose out.

Of course if you want to keep oil chugging at 5K, it's your dime...
I always have Blackstone test the oil when I change it. The longest oil change (by mileage) was 8k miles. The oil had lots of life left.