Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Message

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Service Message

The handbook for my 2021 R-dynamic indicates service at 16K or 1 year, which ever first.
I have the car booked in January for the 12 month service at about 9.5K miles, basically just oil/filter..
So, today, on start-up I got a message saying service due in 1,400 miles (ie 10K miles).
Seems like the car is in conflict with the handbook!!

Old 12-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I think it’s trying to guesstimate the mileage when the one year anniversary is up. I had the same when I wasn’t meeting my mileage “quota”

Old 12-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Lots of discussion and evidence that the 16k miles oil change interval is too long on both the V6 and V8 and you should change the oil and oil filter twice as often as that so every 8k miles at least.
Easy enough to DIY an extra oil and filter change between each dealer/scheduled change and as long as you use the correct spec oil it won't void your warranty.
Just get a vacuum/extractor pump, at least 8 litres/quarts capacity, and pump the old oil out from the top via the oil extraction tube which sits in the middle of the oil filler hole. Plenty available on Fleabay and the preferred brand on this forum is Mityvac. The oil filter is also a piece of cake to change and they are quite cheap although it pays to also get a canister removal tool, again cheap on Fleabay.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

^ Agree 100% with OZ. Cheap insurance if you plan to keep/drive your car for any length of time. These intervals will get you through the warranty period, and have you back buying a new car afterwards

DC

Old 12-07-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

I agree that 16K is probably too long between oil changes, though it a bit hard to understand why JLR would spec this, unless to garner more repair work.
JLR does spec 16K mileage intervals or annual service. Since I think it extremely unlikely any F-Type actually does 16K miles/year, the annual service is normally performed at much lower mileage.
In fact, judging from the miles reported for a number of used vehicles, a typical annual mileage might well be below 5K miles. So, no problem if owners stick to the annual schedule.
Annual schedule makes sense especially with low mileage and Winter lay-up.
In my case, I shall hit about 9.5K miles before my free oil change in Janury after 10 months on the road, so do not think any reason to be concerned.
Also, my car will be sold before the warranty expires, likely with 50K on the odometer.
It might even get replaced with an R before then!!

Old 12-07-2021, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

So, today, on start-up I got a message saying service due in 1,400 miles (ie 10K miles).
That is the CALENDAR YEAR reminder in play. Ours displays that mileage reminder too...usually starting 2 months from the oil change anniversary. (Or, from when the counter was reset last)
Our usage (especially with the Pandemic) has been only 3 - 4,000 a year.

Who know why they only tell you miles. If your car is a weekender, you won't drive that many miles before the service is due.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I agree that 16K is probably too long between oil changes, though it a bit hard to understand why JLR would spec this, unless to garner more repair work.
JLR does spec 16K mileage intervals or annual service. Since I think it extremely unlikely any F-Type actually does 16K miles/year, the annual service is normally performed at much lower mileage.
In fact, judging from the miles reported for a number of used vehicles, a typical annual mileage might well be below 5K miles. So, no problem if owners stick to the annual schedule.
Annual schedule makes sense especially with low mileage and Winter lay-up.
In my case, I shall hit about 9.5K miles before my free oil change in Janury after 10 months on the road, so do not think any reason to be concerned.
Also, my car will be sold before the warranty expires, likely with 50K on the odometer.
It might even get replaced with an R before then!!
Hey...Do what makes sense for you, and your situation. It is not like it is going to blow-up, or even malfunction with longer oil change intervals. It is kind of like exercising once a month, or every other day...Neither will likely die, but the every other day person is going to be much more fit, and maybe last longer Another reason for the TIME interval (and not JUST milage) is the chemical/physical properties of oil. Heating and cooling cycles make oil become acidic...As such, you do not want to leave acidic substances in the engine longer than needed...because, hey...its acid!...So replacing it with fresh oil, also reduces the acidity as well.

DC

Old 12-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

There may not be many F Types doing 16k miles per year. But the engines are used in other JLR vehicles too. Eg we have the 3.0 V6 SC in our discovery. We run 16k between oil changes. Oil analysis came back very clean when we tested it a year back

Lots of very different views on this. I do the f type more frequently. As a low cost precaution. But in general oil performance is vastly improved on decades ago, hence the longer intervals

Old 12-16-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Oil analysis came back very clean when we tested it a year back
Testing is the BEST way to establish an oil-life baseline.

But I think that one factor in that longggg interval is the rather large amount of oil in the Jaguar's sump. The engine has 16,K miles to 'wear out' the additives in 7.25 qts of oil.

As a comparison, newer Honda Civics and CR-Vs with the 1.5L turbo engine have a 3.5qt capacity. Still, they can last 5,000 to 9,000 miles before the OLM (OIl Life Monitor) turns on.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hey...Do what makes sense for you, and your situation. It is not like it is going to blow-up, or even malfunction with longer oil change intervals. It is kind of like exercising once a month, or every other day...Neither will likely die, but the every other day person is going to be much more fit, and maybe last longer Another reason for the TIME interval (and not JUST milage) is the chemical/physical properties of oil. Heating and cooling cycles make oil become acidic...As such, you do not want to leave acidic substances in the engine longer than needed...because, hey...its acid!...So replacing it with fresh oil, also reduces the acidity as well.

DC
In Germany, I had my transmission changed at ZF Friedrichshafen (only 90 km from where I live). I asked these experts about my engine oil. Drive around 3,000 km per year. My question, I have to change every year, because even with a few kilometers the oil can go bad due to the stress of heat and cold. It is clear that today's engine oils are no longer as vulnerable as they were years ago. This means that an oil cannot become acidic after one year, and we recommend changing it every 2 years. Whereby he said clearly that 3 years would not matter, he has already examined a lot of oil after three years, there is no evidence to be found that the oil was acidic! So I change the oil every 2 years with 6000 kilometers. I have a very good feeling about it. When I look at my oil after a year and 3,000 kilometers, it looks like a new oil ...

Old 12-17-2021, 05:54 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I drove only 2,200 miles last year and still changed the oil annually. And I also received a message that I was due for the service. As others have mentioned-do what is best for you. I change my oil annually if I don't reach the mileage and have done so in this and past Porsche's that were just fun weekend cars. It's cheap insurance and since I do it myself spending 30 minutes and $80 once a year is cheap.