F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting car options via SDD / Pathfinder (maybe...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Setting car options via SDD / Pathfinder (maybe...)

Hi All,

New user here, I should be collecting my 2013 V8S tomorrow all being well, my first Jaguar and I can't wait. I intend my car to be something of a project, certainly have some modifications planned so for the last week I've been reading pretty much sequentially through this excellent forum trying to learn all I can so I can hit the ground running.

My question here is regarding setting hidden options on these cars. By hidden I mean things that can't be achieved via the touch screens or other user-accessible methods. First I'd like to check some assumptions:

- There's a tool used by the dealers called System Driven Diagnostics or usually SDD that gives them access to some of these options that owners can't just get at
- For some reason I often see the name Pathfinder used in the same breath as SDD but I'm not clear on what that means
- Dealer versions of SDD have certain options disabled to them, my guess would be because the options would be illegal to enable in their particular part of the world
- Bootleg versions of SDD appear to be pretty easy to find all over the internet, some via eBay and some via almost reputable looking suppliers (e.g. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Nikw7iBkuMs2LK)
- I believe a standard USB -> ODB2 connector and a Windown laptop should run this stuff

Assuming I got any of that right is it possible or safe to run this in some kind of 'read-only' mode where I can find out the state of the options enabled on my particular vehicle without running too much risk of screwing up existing settings?

Can this create the Car Configuration File (CCF) that I see referred to often in posts about SDD?

Even better, and a crate of beer to anyone who can answer this one, am I largely wasting my time as my key goal here is to disable the seat belt chime. I've been able to do this via similar methods on a few other car types so I was hoping it would be possible on the FType too. A list of what the available options actually are (would that be contained in someone else's CCF?) would be amazing!

Anyway sorry for the long rambling post, any help very gratefully received

Regards

-- Chris

Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Hi Chris. My two cents. Yes there are bootlegged versions of SDD. They may or may not work. Hard to find one that works without the help of experienced users on this forum who would share their version with you. I have a legit enhanced version but it would not work on the newer model you purchased.

Hardware - Just as difficult, if not more so is to find non cloned VCM and cable. A lot of crapola out there and you WILL eventually pay the price for buying something non genuine. You will read on this forum from guys who have success with cloned SDD so you have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk.

Pathfinder vs SDD - SDD covers Jag/ Land Rover built between 2010 and 2016. Pathfinder is the diagnostic software for Jag/ LR newer than that. Given your purchase of a 2013, SDD is what you want.

Dealer versions have limited options available to them, same as owners. JLR built their vehicles one way and don't support modifications. Even dealers must submit one time requests for special mods to have that "feature" enabled or disable in their software for one time use. They are also hard pressed to get it approved. That said, there are "enhanced" versions of the software, again, available on this forum from experts who would need to come forward themselves. There is a function known as "engineering mode" which unlocks the normally forbidden features. It has significant risks as well. Others who have it will have to weigh in.

Some versions of the software require a Topix subscription while earlier versions have a "work around". I have an 07 XK so I use a very early version and don't use Topix. So again, someone with a 2013 will need to tell you whether the latest version software you can use without a subscription and be used on the 2013. I suspect there is one, just not familiar.

I run mine using Windows 7 32 bit dedicated dell laptop. This is Jaguars recommendation for my MY but they've probably moved on to windows 10. Some people use Older XP Pro with VMWare. That's not value added to me and in fact complicates the use of the software unnecessarily. At any rate, use a dedicated laptop with nothing else on it. Start with a fresh install of the operating system and then load the SDD.

Yes you can download and view the CCF and options (features) that you can't change are visible but greyed out. Exit without saving changes and you are safe.

I'm not even close to expert on the software. I did lock up my audio system once when I upgraded from Base to Premium. It's easy to make mistakes so proceed with caution.

One last thing, once running the software, you will often see recommendations for software upgrades of various modules. It's important to note the many models that SDD supports and the recommendations may not be for you vehicle. SDD doesn't make the distinction within the software. That's where TSB's and Topix come in. So a good idea to always check before proceeding with recommended module updates.

Can't answer the question on seat belt chime. I'm guessing here in the US, it can't be disabled as seatbelts are required by law, but I dunno. I agree that it would be best if someone who has an F-Type could print out screen shots for you.

Here's some videos you can check out too:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...70&action=view

The following users liked this post:
xrix4096 (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That's all great info Sean, thanks for your time. I figured that there were risks involved and I'll probably steer clear unless someone who already has reliable access is willing to confirm to me that the seat belt option is available in there somewhere. Just for clarity the belts are a legal requirement across the UK too, it's just that I've had to have a medical implant in my chest and the belt cuts right across it an is unbearable when in use. As other sensible forum users have already pointed out I'm probably best off getting a seat belt plug just to shut it off the simple way :-)

Thanks again

-- Chris

Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Also I should clarify. When I stated that Dealerships have limitations on features. I mean adding features that were never an option on the model of the vehicle, such as a retrofit of a camera on a car that never had one. We can turn on/ disable options that were available for our model year. Doesn't help you with your question though, I just wanted to clarify.

Also a good quality set up will cost you between $600 - $1000 for VCM, cable, software, battery maintainer and laptop. There are some Jaguar approved hardware available for less

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-242NAS.pdf (124.8 KB, 317 views)
The following users liked this post:
xrix4096 (07-30-2019)