F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting down on braking in Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shifting down on braking in Sport Mode

I couldn't be happier with my S Coupe - what a blast every time I get behind the wheel.

I wanted to share (another) excellent feature I saw this week - I was on the freeway, had a clear road ahead and couldn't resist mashing the gas pedal. Was in Sport/Dynamic but not (on this occasion) manually peddling the gears. She must have been changing up from about 5th to 6th when I saw a fender-bender happen on the bend in the lane ahead of me. I threw out the anchor and got on the brakes and whoa! - the gearbox did an incredible job of auto-down-shifting as the vehicle decelerated. There was no threat of being involved in the mess ahead but the decleration from the power-train was almost as good as from the brakes. Now, if I'd been in the Normal Drive mode and braked like that I don't think she'd have auto-down-shifted like that - I'd have to have started flipping the paddle. On that note, why would you ever disable the paddles in Normal Auto mode?

She's a stone magnet, they have'nt got any VPS down here (the whole roll on the last shipment was spoiled and the new consignment is still inbound) and I've got small dings on the hood, 2 small nicks on the windscreen and a big ding (through the paint) on the left rear wheel arch. I need to hook-up with the local body shop.

Otherwise, absolutely stoked with the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Holer
I couldn't be happier with my S Coupe - what a blast every time I get behind the wheel.

I wanted to share (another) excellent feature I saw this week - I was on the freeway, had a clear road ahead and couldn't resist mashing the gas pedal. Was in Sport/Dynamic but not (on this occasion) manually peddling the gears. She must have been changing up from about 5th to 6th when I saw a fender-bender happen on the bend in the lane ahead of me. I threw out the anchor and got on the brakes and whoa! - the gearbox did an incredible job of auto-down-shifting as the vehicle decelerated. There was no threat of being involved in the mess ahead but the decleration from the power-train was almost as good as from the brakes. Now, if I'd been in the Normal Drive mode and braked like that I don't think she'd have auto-down-shifted like that - I'd have to have started flipping the paddle. On that note, why would you ever disable the paddles in Normal Auto mode?

She's a stone magnet, they have'nt got any VPS down here (the whole roll on the last shipment was spoiled and the new consignment is still inbound) and I've got small dings on the hood, 2 small nicks on the windscreen and a big ding (through the paint) on the left rear wheel arch. I need to hook-up with the local body shop.

Otherwise, absolutely stoked with the vehicle.
Yes, the ZF auto doesn't a really nice job of keeping the engine in the right rev range for the circumstance. I still prefer manually shifting with the paddles, and I don't think I'd ever disable them in auto mode.

I couldn't agree more on loving the car.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

Will also hold the gear if it detects you are cornering. I disable paddles in regular drive mode. If I'm in drive mode I don't want the paddles engaged.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

In full sport and dynamic with the paddles in use it will also automatically downshift if it thinks it's neccesary. The everyday version of this is pulling up without touching the paddles - the car will shift into 2nd so you can be ready to move off again.