F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock absorber bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Shock absorber bushings

Purchased a 2016 F type R in 2020. The car now has 34K miles. Started hearing a thump when I went over small bumps in the road. Took it to my independent for some preventive maintenance and asked him to take the car for a spin to try and identify the issue. When I went to pick up the car, he lifted the hood and showed me the shock bushings that were the problem. The bushings had basically disintegrated and were like powder. I was told that the rear bushings were shot as well. The car is garaged in Florida for 7 months and I'm wondering if the constant high temperature caused the failure or was something else. Has anyone else had this problem or it it just a normal problem on a 6 year old Jag? Bushings will be replaced this October and wondering if I should request a different material. Any help or advice is appreciated

Last edited by Kens; 08-27-2022 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sov211 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-27-2022, 02:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Rubber isnt as good as it used to be !
the vulcanising chemicals are banned in many countries, and the lowest bid is often accepted from suppliers ! So a cheaply made part gets even more badly made....
Ford are renound for suspension rubbers disintegrating, and my SVR rubbers need replacing after 13,000 miles and 5 years !

Old 08-27-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Never considered that. Hopefully, things have improved in six years.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I went months with thumps when I went over any small bumps, or even turning onto my driveway. I checked the shock bushings and mine were also pretty flat, but it ended up being the cross bars under the hood needing to be tightened. Its the black metal bars with T50's going diagonal. Give that a try and tighten them up a bit. If that works, maybe replacing the bushings wouldn't be bad either.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Kens
Purchased a 2016 F type R in 2020. The car now has 34K miles. Started hearing a thump when I went over small bumps in the road. Took it to my independent for some preventive maintenance and asked him to take the car for a spin to try and identify the issue. When I went to pick up the car, he lifted the hood and showed me the shock bushings that were the problem. The bushings had basically disintegrated and were like powder. I was told that the rear bushings were shot as well. The car is garaged in Florida for 7 months and I'm wondering if the constant high temperature caused the failure or was something else. Has anyone else had this problem or it it just a normal problem on a 6 year old Jag? Bushings will be replaced this October and wondering if I should request a different material. Any help or advice is appreciated
If you can get some reasonable measurements of your OE bushings, Energy Suspension offers an assortment of universal bushings, as listed in their catalog.....

Old 08-31-2022, 02:09 AM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Ozone?

Originally Posted by Kens
Any source of ozone generation? Sparking, arcing or electronic air filtration?

Old 09-02-2022, 05:30 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

So, read this thread - car was at the shop and I asked them to take a look and they did....no issues at all. As if brand new.

Life in the mid Atlantic....54k.

2016..wonder of OEM's/sources vary...?

Just a data point.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:29 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I just noted the exact same issue - disintegrated upper shock bushings. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better(?) aftermarket product? thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
I just noted the exact same issue - disintegrated upper shock bushings. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better(?) aftermarket product? thanks in advance.
You mean the black, center ring of the strut mount disintegrated?

Old 08-18-2023, 10:20 AM

Not black - Orange/Peach color. I've never inspected those before, but an aftermarket (non F type) appears to use the same disintegrating polymer: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...QaAr3JEALw_wcB
I believe this photo is an invert of what you're holding in your hand (upside down). Is the bushing material in that one in your hand black or Orange? If black - what is it, where is it from. I can't imagine that supplier would be worse than the OEM Jag part.

Last edited by inmanlanier; 08-18-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

So the orange stuff i saw on top of the front shock mount was actually bushing material!!?

i thought it was a collection of dirt and pollen since that area is recessed..

Now thinking of if, this must be it, i haven’t inspected the bushings but rear toe link boots were shot, front control arm outer boot is shot, rear sway bar link looks torn, basically every rubber has or is on the way out. I’m surprised the car still tracks dead straight at higher speed and alignment still checks out. I do hear some squeak at low speed without music and an intermittent thumping noise turning left.

Upgrade seems to be non existent, a whole set of poly bushings costs hundreds in parts, there seems to be some aftermarket suspension links that is really cheap compared to oem on rock auto, not sure about the quality though, and i don’t recall seeing any cheaper or better quality replacement for shock mounting related hardware.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
So the orange stuff i saw on top of the front shock mount was actually bushing material!!?

i thought it was a collection of dirt and pollen since that area is recessed..

Now thinking of if, this must be it, i haven’t inspected the bushings but rear toe link boots were shot, front control arm outer boot is shot, rear sway bar link looks torn, basically every rubber has or is on the way out. I’m surprised the car still tracks dead straight at higher speed and alignment still checks out. I do hear some squeak at low speed without music and an intermittent thumping noise turning left.

Upgrade seems to be non existent, a whole set of poly bushings costs hundreds in parts, there seems to be some aftermarket suspension links that is really cheap compared to oem on rock auto, not sure about the quality though, and i don’t recall seeing any cheaper or better quality replacement for shock mounting related hardware.
My photo is looking at the top of the shock mount (ie goes up against car body)

Orange as in this part?

Or this, which appears bluish on mine,

Last edited by Bierry; 08-18-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bierry
My photo is looking at the top of the shock mount (ie goes up against car body)

Orange as in this part?

Or this, which appears bluish on mine,

I’m not entirely sure but the orange one is the upper spring seat, the black rubber is the bushings, and the bluish thing is.. part of the bushing?

i went to the car and checked, it is bushing/spring seat material, pretty much rotted😂 like the photo showed by @inmanlanier

Old 08-18-2023, 02:45 PM

Orange. The car is not with me (at a shop - they discovered it) - but I think they called it a bushing. I believe you're correct in that likely that's the upper spring insulator. Black must be the polymer 'carrier' as I would call it's function for lack of a better term. On his parts diagram it's part number 10 (not sure if Jag or other). This perch definitely also provides a bushing function.

Last edited by inmanlanier; 08-18-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:14 PM
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

This was a common problem on my 2005 XKR (model X-100) and I'm confident also on the X-150 which had pretty much the same chassis, so I'm suprised that the X-152 (F-Type) has that issue also when it was essentially a clean sheet design. looks like they just speced the same crap from the same parts bin supplier. Not something to look forward to but obviously an issue to be aware of, especially for the southern and western vehicles where there's a lot of heat stress.

Last edited by PaulBarrrera; 08-19-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Orange. The car is not with me (at a shop - they discovered it) - but I think they called it a bushing. I believe you're correct in that likely that's the upper spring insulator. Black must be the polymer 'carrier' as I would call its function for lack of a better term. On his parts diagram it's part number 10 (not sure if Jag or other). This perch definitely also provides a bushing function.
Am now running KW HAS, replaces the factory spring parts altogether

Old 08-18-2023, 04:06 PM

@inmanlanier i think the orange part is called spring perch by most and upper spring seat by Jaguar, it definitely cushions the impact of the spring movement so technically it does what a bushing would do.

The black rubber is what would be the shock bushing since that’s what holds the shock rod in place and cushions impact from it (correct me if I’m wrong!)

@PaulBarrrera there are a lot of carry over from older and same era jags, it’s a blessing and a curse!

@Bierry

looking good! Let us know how you like it.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure 'like' is the word I'd use to characterize my emotions about this garbage!

Old 09-30-2023, 12:30 PM

So the offending part is actually the top Mount and the bushing inside, they run $180 each normally but i found a seller on eBay selling for $90 each.

The listing always shows last one but it showed available after i ordered the first one, second order has been accepted but not shipped, not sure if i will get the second one.

Doesn’t look like the bushing can be purchased separately or easily replaceable.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
So the offending part is actually the top Mount and the bushing inside, they run $180 each normally but i found a seller on eBay selling for $90 each.

The listing always shows last one but it showed available after i ordered the first one, second order has been accepted but not shipped, not sure if i will get the second one.

Doesn’t look like the bushing can be purchased separately or easily replaceable.

Did you install these yet? I just bought the same set from him and was curious about them. Any issues?

Quick Reply: Shock absorber bushings