Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for an R - things to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Shopping for an R - things to look out for

I want to change up my garage, and switch up the XFR for an F-type R. Probably 3-4 years used. What are some common things I need to know about / look out for? common engine problems? transmission? Differentials?

Does the V8 suffer from similar cooling issues?
Most importantly - did Jag ever undo the software update that killed the exhaust noise?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

You are on the correct forum. Give search a try. Cruse through page after page of rants, raves, adoration etc.
I'd hazard a guess most of us haven't had any or any significant issues....though certainly some had.
radio fix gas pleased many, still makes lots of noise,still goes like snot. Not many like Pirelli tires....enjoy the read, then buy and enjoy the car.

Last edited by Awd; 12-21-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I've never heard of any software that killed the exhaust note on the F-Type.

For the R, Here are things that are good to know:

2015 is the only year of RWD. This is good and bad. AWD is a much more manageable car, but RWD is more hooligan.
The stock P-Zeros are horrible.

The sound system is not the best (especially for Satellite radio)

Beyond that, it's largely what color do you like. Most were fitted with a good amount of options. Having said that, some were ordered with fewer options I have grown to rely upon the vision package (blind spot monitoring, rear camera),

I've had no issue with cooling and it gets to 110F where I live.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

No one has reported cooling issues. But one of the O2 sensor software updates killed the overrun and backfires on some of the cars. A subsequent update solved that for some. Others resolved it by getting an aftermarket tune. The e-diff on the RWD R can easily be overheated. A very few folks have had bad wiring harnesses that were difficult to diagnose, and some engines have failed due to oil starvation (monitoring oil level is a pita) but in general these cars are solid. If you are an audiophile, the sound system will be disappointing and fit and trim issues need to be addressed by the dealer on some of the cars when new.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Some other known issues (not neccessary R related) that you should look out for are:
- Center vent movement (might get stuck in open position).
- Vertical scratches on the outside of the side windows due to dirt getting trapped in the window seal. New seal design on later models (not shure which year they changed the design).
- Small oil leak in the pinnion seal in front of the rear diff. New seal design on later models (not shure which year they changes it).

So far I can't say that the F-type R (or any of the other F-type versions) seem to "suffer" from any major design or production flaws.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think almost all do but you need the vision package. Yes the audio is poor and it has a few odd items that are a pain but they have all been worked out via this forum. It has helped me a TON over the past few months. Critical most of all is getting the color you like and having a great time.

If you are an audio file like I am or would like more performance from your head unit you can read up on this thread. It would be good to see the VIN#s that qualify for the new unit when its worked out.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...thread-210198/

Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a '16 with 16,000 miles on it. No problems whatsoever. And the sound system is great. (And I am an audiophile.) Mine is the 12-speaker system.

I had read that the sound systems needed software upgrades to become acceptable. I didn't need to. I didn't ask if the previous owner had that done.

Tires, as you've already heard.

I dug pretty damned hard to find out what other problems were reported. I've had none of the problems of the following reports, but I haven't put my own 2000 miles on it, yet:

Supercharger coupler/torsion isolator rattle.

It is evidently not uncommon for the air conditioning system to need a little upgrade --poorly made O-rings and/or hoses that were installed while manufacturing the new car, or sometimes the hoses work loose. Fixing those is not expensive and reportedly makes the air conditioning system a non-problem. Also supposed to be warrantable.

Potentially a "wheezy supercharger."

Rear diff can leak from it's main seal athe front.

Watch the cam chain tensioner; reported to become weak some miles later. Don't know if that's only earlier models years.

Suspension bushings and tie-bar dust covers can harden and crack after a while.

Keep an eye on the battery power.

Don't close the bonnet from the side: push it closed with both hands on the hood vents, in order to not risk tweaking it out of alignment.

The rising center vent is reported to sometimes quit working, whether in up or down position.

The car has one of the best factory warranties on the market. Get one! You'll love it!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Banned
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
I want to change up my garage, and switch up the XFR for an F-type R. Probably 3-4 years used. What are some common things I need to know about / look out for? common engine problems? transmission? Differentials?

Does the V8 suffer from similar cooling issues?
Most importantly - did Jag ever undo the software update that killed the exhaust noise?
Yes, Jaguar is still trying to ruin existing F-Types. They loaded the new quiet exhaust software on my car without authorization, it sounded like a Toyota Corolla. I forced them to patch it under threat of lawsuit. The patch is JTB00495. Make sure any F-Type you buy does not have up to date software, or it will take a big price hit on the used market.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Yes, Jaguar is still trying to ruin existing F-Types. They loaded the new quiet exhaust software on my car without authorization, it sounded like a Toyota Corolla. I forced them to patch it under threat of lawsuit. The patch is JTB00495. Make sure any F-Type you buy does not have up to date software, or it will take a big price hit on the used market.
You’re the first one I’ve heard of who got them to revert to the older firmware.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-27-2018)