Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IcanDance2
Finally had Unhingd special short shifter installed on my F-Type Coupe.

28% reduction in shift stroke makes a huge difference and it enables quick gear change tremendously enhancing joy of manual shifting. If you have a manual F-Type, you have to have this short shifter.

Thank you, Unhingd, for your time and effort on this project. Now we get to enjoy this!!!
I couldn't have done it without you early adopters that were willing to express a strong interest.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
They promised to get out new instructions with my pics (and from others as well). Once they do that, I was also going to modify the instructions to include everything we've learned so far in the way of trick. All of you with the shifter have my phone number. Don't hesitate to call if you get stumped on something.

Just checked: 4H has not updated their instructions yet.

Unc, do you have their first set of instructions: see pdf below.
Also, the following two posts together are a better set of instructions if you print them out. Just remember to use the OEM bushing in the new shifter part:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...7/#post1660295
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1667257

The following users liked this post:
Stwsam (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I couldn't have done it without you early adopters that were willing to express a strong interest.
I know it's earlier in the thread, but seriously.... I broke one of my few rules:

"I'm not a pioneer because they were shot in the back with arrows".

Being an early adopter feels novel to me. Glad I could help! LOL

As if. You are such a gentleman, Hingy.

Unhingd (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM
NSY
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Couldn't be happier

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I know it's earlier in the thread, but seriously.... I broke one of my few rules:

"I'm not a pioneer because they were shot in the back with arrows".

Being an early adopter feels novel to me. Glad I could help! LOL

As if. You are such a gentleman, Hingy.
If you asked me the ONE thing I didn't like about my spectacular F type S i would have said the lack of precision and ill conceived gear shift in the stock car. I can't tell you how many times I either turned off my fan or turned on the hazard flashers shifting into third gear. Not to mention pressing too far left for second with no gear engagable. The unhinged short shifter fiixed all of that. It is short, crisp, precise, and more than enjoyable. My strong recommendation.... DONT STOP FOR ANY RED LIGHTS...: order one immediately. Couldn't be happier. Thank you for bringing this to market.

The following 2 users liked this post by NSY:
jfranks (05-10-2017), Unhingd (05-10-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure this works, but early early AM I had to put something together for the shop doing this. Hope it's helpful.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...kd4SkU2ck1YdXM

edit: looks like editing is off, but download and fix page breaks

Unhingd (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Looks really good. The only thing left for the reassembly is to underscore the need to lubricate the ball, and to use the OEM bushings on the new shift rod.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Brit mechanic did it today. He was great. He can't imagine what you guys go through by not having it on a lift. He also said it was lucky he likes puzzles, because his fingers do not bend the way that is needed.... but he got it! =)

It's SO FANTASTIC! I think he reattached the neck under the shifter a bit wonky, but it's harmless and can get fixed later. 1400 mile road trip for 6 days tomorrow, and I am so very excited.

The reduction in throw doesn't sound like that much, but it's truly significant.

YAY.

THANK YOU.

Unhingd (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Brit mechanic did it today. He was great. He can't imagine what you guys go through by not having it on a lift. He also said it was lucky he likes puzzles, because his fingers do not bend the way that is needed.... but he got it! =)

It's SO FANTASTIC! I think he reattached the neck under the shifter a bit wonky, but it's harmless and can get fixed later. 1400 mile road trip for 6 days tomorrow, and I am so very excited.

The reduction in throw doesn't sound like that much, but it's truly significant.

YAY.

THANK YOU.
and a few weeks ago you were wary of making mods for fear of warranty issues. Be brave and bold making your car YOUR car!

good job!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
and a few weeks ago you were wary of making mods for fear of warranty issues. Be brave and bold making your car YOUR car!

good job!
Yeaaaaahhhh.... But,

Got my first ticket today.

Del Norte county, CA. CHP coming at me on other side of freeway clocked me at 105. He wrote 75 in 65, because he said he loves cars and going fast, and that is why he got the job. He loved the car, lectured me that it isn't about my car or my skills, but the skills of other drivers. I mean.... He must have torn off the freeway and approached 140 to catch up to me. Lol. I was opened up on an empty road with one semi half mile back.

I almost thought to duck off an exit, when I knew he was coming. Glad I didn't play that game. This is non point traffic school for me. In the noted he did write 100mph, but that isn't what the speed box says. 75mph!!! 🤣🤣🤣😃😄😅

Lucky. I will call it another life off the cat.

I knew he was coming and slowed down for him. He was so amped and adrenalin fuelled, he was happy. If I had been some jerk, he would have arrested me for wreckless driving. But he wasnt mad, seemed out of breath but happy. Amazing.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Yeaaaaahhhh.... But,

Got my first ticket today.

Del Norte county, CA. CHP coming at me on other side of freeway clocked me at 105. He wrote 75 in 65, because he said he loves cars and going fast, and that is why he got the job. He loved the car, lectured me that it isn't about my car or my skills, but the skills of other drivers. I mean.... He must have torn off the freeway and approached 140 to catch up to me. Lol. I was opened up on an empty road with one semi half mile back.

I almost thought to duck off an exit, when I knew he was coming. Glad I didn't play that game. This is non point traffic school for me. In the noted he did write 100mph, but that isn't what the speed box says. 75mph!!! 🤣🤣🤣😃😄😅

Lucky. I will call it another life off the cat.

I knew he was coming and slowed down for him. He was so amped and adrenalin fuelled, he was happy. If I had been some jerk, he would have arrested me for wreckless driving. But he wasnt mad, seemed out of breath but happy. Amazing.
How one acts after being pulled over for speeding (or any infraction, but especially speeding) makes ALL the difference in the world and your actions were spot-on.

Unfortunately, practically anyone and everyone is speeding - and in the F-Type it's practically an occupational hazard - and it's like shooting fish/ducks in a barrel. I say unfortunately since it's just not possible keeping precisely to any speed limit (other than a school zone), basically anywhere in the world, with a few notable exceptions.

Good job, considering.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
How one acts after being pulled over for speeding (or any infraction, but especially speeding) makes ALL the difference in the world and your actions were spot-on.
I refer to those first few seconds of interaction after the stop as the "Attitude Test." Don't fail that.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

I took the day off today to get some things done. In one of my projects I hit my hand with a hammer, so with that encouragement decided to tackle the shifter.

Finished installing mine about 20 minutes ago. It took two hours, most of that under the car on that one bolt. No, I don't have a lift. Or an assistant.

I had to call up some long-forgotten magic words from my days as a professional mechanic and yes, try to bend limbs and digits in ways not intended in the design specs.

I made the requisite blood sacrifice as well; surprisingly, not on a heat shield, but inside the car. I used a number of tricks from the old days to get that bolt started. In the end, I gave up on the bolt with washer that was supplied and used the original, plus got the sift linkage steady by stuffing a shop towel next to it in the tunnel to wedge it in place. Once I had about 1/5 of a thread started it was just a matter of time.

I'm hot and grimy and grabbed a celebratory beer, so I won't road test until tomorrow.

Last edited by lizzardo; 05-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.
RickyJay52 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo

Finished installing mine about 20 minutes ago. It took two hours, most of that under the car on that one bolt. No, I don't have a lift. Or an assistant.
That bolt is the ultimate test of automotive Zen. Congratulations for achieving the rank of Dai-Osho.

RickyJay52 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

That bolt is the ultimate test of automotive Zen. Congratulations for achieving the rank of Dai-Osho.
I have healed cars by laying on of the hands. Seriously. I'm out of practice, but it's a matter of pride to do all my own mods. I can be a persistent SOB though, and that bolt was not going to defeat me, even though I was crawling around under the car.

This was almost as bad as replacing the A/C compressor bracket on a mid-70s Mercedes Benz 450 SLC. The SLC required that level of dexterity for at least three of the bolts. I'm sure they never intended it to be replaced, ever. In at the factory and discard the vehicle if it ever fails. Engine out wouldn't be that bad, but seriously, I despised that car and only worked on it once.

This does remind me that I should look at that cut I got before going to bed. It's clean and no longer bleeding, but maybe a dressing would be in order.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

I have healed cars by laying on of the hands. Seriously. I'm out of practice, but it's a matter of pride to do all my own mods. I can be a persistent SOB though, and that bolt was not going to defeat me, even though I was crawling around under the car.

This was almost as bad as replacing the A/C compressor bracket on a mid-70s Mercedes Benz 450 SLC. The SLC required that level of dexterity for at least three of the bolts. I'm sure they never intended it to be replaced, ever. In at the factory and discard the vehicle if it ever fails. Engine out wouldn't be that bad, but seriously, I despised that car and only worked on it once.

This does remind me that I should look at that cut I got before going to bed. It's clean and no longer bleeding, but maybe a dressing would be in order.
done it twice. Dealing with the bolt I mean. The second time I cringed reopening up all my cuts but amazingly I did not. It was quite a psychological exercise talking myself into "going back in!"

tip number one- apply just a faint amount of super glue to secure washer on the bolt. (If anyone loses their bolts, let me know I bought 100 extra's from fastenal, I am crazy like that.

tip number two. Make a small double loop of duct tape and that becomes your means to apply the bolt to your finger of choice to get the bolt in place. Getting the bolt to thread while stuck to your finger is a trick of dexterity while getting the duct tape to let go!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

I'm really hoping I don't have to go back in.

I was using grease to hold the washer in place but it wasn't sticky enough. I got a set of the gearwrenches and used some of the thick plastic bag from the shifter to shim the bolt steady in the ratchet end to get it in place while suing a long screwdriver to press on the head to get it started, but was not successful with that.

I didn't use the duct tape trick. I guess I was "lucky" it didn't come to that. In the end it was pure manual dexterity; gratifying after all the grief beforehand.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

I'll say it sgain: might take a bit longer, but a heckuvalot easier to just drop the exhaust system. When testing (unsuccessfully) the Fidanza shifter, that's how we did it. With the 4H, we ran through the same dictionary of expletives everyone else has.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'll say it sgain: might take a bit longer, but a heckuvalot easier to just drop the exhaust system. When testing (unsuccessfully) the Fidanza shifter, that's how we did it. With the 4H, we ran through the same dictionary of expletives everyone else has.
I was not about to drop the exhaust without a lift, and pride/stubbornness demanded I do it myself. Your instructions and the other experiences in this thread prepared me for the job, so it was just a matter of soldiering through.

Side note: I did use a minimal amount of silicon paste on the rubber buffers to ease assembly, and make disassembly easier should I ever decide to revert.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Side note: I did use a minimal amount of silicon paste on the rubber buffers to ease assembly, and make disassembly easier should I ever decide to revert.
Great idea. I wish I had thought of that.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Went for a bit of a drive today. Not what I'd hoped for, but spring cleaning has landed upon me like a ravenous vulture not content to wait for something to die on its own.

How to describe the difference? It's not dramatic, but it's significant. It's enough of a change that I need to adjust my habits a little, but it's more evolution than revolution, it you get my meaning.

If the factory had delivered this, I'd say they'd had got it right. The factory did not. Thanks to Lance for driving (pun intended) this to fruition. Cheers! (hoists beer in celebration)

Unhingd (05-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?