Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I was driving today and realized the new throw has indeed become second nature. It was a crappy commute, but at least I was in the F-Type.
+2. The OEM throw was never 2nd nature. Always felt exaggerated.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Installation would take all of 10 minutes once the piece is fabricated. The gate plate would install in place of the boot. The upper stick would need to be modified for a decent appearance and a different knob would be needed since it is held on firmly with the boot collar. (note to self: finish P7 grille project first).
Please do a gated shifter. Can I throw money at you for this?

Old 06-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfranks
Please do a gated shifter. Can I throw money at you for this?
I'll have to do a mock-up of one before we get launched on fabricating a prototype. Given the design of the upper shifter shaft, that might have to be redesigned as well. Give me a few weeks to ponder this.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I'll have to do a mock-up of one before we get launched on fabricating a prototype. Given the design of the upper shifter shaft, that might have to be redesigned as well. Give me a few weeks to ponder this.
I've been thinking about this already.

Unless I'm mistaken, the one that will fit a 2016 will only fit a 2016, at least for LHD. Didn't they relocate the buttons to the driver's side of the shifter for 2017?

As for the shifter shaft, I'm not sure how that would all work. I only just got home from some errands, but may pull the boot up a little later and meditate on the dimensions.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

I've been thinking about this already.

Unless I'm mistaken, the one that will fit a 2016 will only fit a 2016, at least for LHD. Didn't they relocate the buttons to the driver's side of the shifter for 2017?

As for the shifter shaft, I'm not sure how that would all work. I only just got home from some errands, but may pull the boot up a little later and meditate on the dimensions.
The gate would simply be inserted where the boot bezel snaps into the console. As long as the boot part number remained the same, the two years (maybe even 2018) will be interchangeable.

The following users liked this post:
jfranks (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

The opening that has the boot and the swich panel is symmetrical, but the boot itself is not. The shifter shaft is almost 20mm in diameter in the upper section, but it hasn't tapered down to that yet at the point that is level with the boot mounting. The weight is below that level.

I took some pictures, but nothing that's not obvious to someone who lifts the boot on their own car.

If the short-shifter were made as one piece, all the way up to threads for a knob, that would make easier. It would also eliminate the vibration isolation dampers in the assembly.

More meditation is in order.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

The opening that has the boot and the swich panel is symmetrical, but the boot itself is not. The shifter shaft is almost 20mm in diameter in the upper section, but it hasn't tapered down to that yet at the point that is level with the boot mounting. The weight is below that level.

I took some pictures, but nothing that's not obvious to someone who lifts the boot on their own car.

If the short-shifter were made as one piece, all the way up to threads for a knob, that would make easier. It would also eliminate the vibration isolation dampers in the assembly.

More meditation is in order.

You want to leave that weight (damper) in the mix. It provides the nice heft to the feel. I believe, without it, the shifting would feel flimsy. Easy enough to test that theory.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

You want to leave that weight (damper) in the mix. It provides the nice heft to the feel. I believe, without it, the shifting would feel flimsy. Easy enough to test that theory.
As noted the weight is below the level where the gate would be. I don't think I'd even consider removing it because of what it adds to the feel.

Getting the buttons over to the left? That's something I'd consider.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts
Default image of excellence!

Brand of exclusivity!

Old 06-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

"Unhingd Seal of Approval" Hmmm. Where have I heard that before?
I'm in the club!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Unhingd Special

Thank you, Unhingd.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IcanDance2
Thank you, Unhingd.
I got a cling too, but haven't "installed" it yet. I expect it will go easier than installing the shifter.

And yes, thanks Lance!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Unhingd Medicare Celebration Event

Jaguar F-Type Short Shift Kit

Okay boys & girls. Unhingd is getting old... so in order to help support our OAPs, we've decided to run a sale on these until the end of June, while supplies last. No coupon code required, just hop on there and order one!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

If you ask nicely, Unhinged may throw in a cigar too...

Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Jaguar F-Type Short Shift Kit

Okay boys & girls. Unhingd is getting old... so in order to help support our OAPs, we've decided to run a sale on these until the end of June, while supplies last. No coupon code required, just hop on there and order one!
"Easy to install in just 30 minutes from inside the cabin"? I love mine and would not revert, but I did not find it to be that simple/easy, and did need to go under the car. I didn't drop the exhaust, so had a very tight and tricky manipulation to get the bolt in place.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

"Easy to install in just 30 minutes from inside the cabin"? I love mine and would not revert, but I did not find it to be that simple/easy, and did need to go under the car. I didn't drop the exhaust, so had a very tight and tricky manipulation to get the bolt in place.
Yes...in recognition of my June birthday, it's the Great Unhingd Medicare Celebration Event. (and it is an inside the cabin job only if you are Inspector Gadget and have 12 foot long arms). Supplies are limited and sale is good only if product is still available. This may be the last opportunity to get these at a decent price as we will probably not be ordering any more batches.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yes...in recognition of my June birthday, it's the Great Unhingd Medicare Celebration Event. (and it is an inside the cabin job only if you are Inspector Gadget and have 12 foot long arms). Supplies are limited and sale is good only if product is still available. This may be the last opportunity to get these at a decent price as we will probably not be ordering any more batches.
No-no Gadget arms ...

I did the job in the driveway with the right side of the car on ramps. If I hadn't had skills, years of experience, plenty of quality tools, and been really stubborn, I'd have ended up dropping the exhaust a bit. That'd have been quite a job with just ramps, stands, and a jack, so I said many "magic words" and persisted. Smaller hands would have helped rather a lot.

Nevertheless, it's a quality piece and greatly enhances the driving experience; more than I expected. It really does feel now the way it should have been from the factory.

If anyone is on the fence, I'd suggest getting in on it. If you or a friend doesn't have a lift, have a trusted local shop do the work.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Default Installation Instructions

For anyone ordering the short shifter, please print out the installation instructions attached to this post:

Attached Files

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-23-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I had to hire a guy. He's a proper British car mechanic, but he hadn't seen many f-type's for obvious reasons because they're mostly still under warranty. He simply said that it was a challenge because no human fingers bend that way. Lol

Old 08-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Default Late Model Compatiblity

Shift rail T2R16381 was used on VINs through 40205, so the short-shift kit is guaranteed to work on those earlier MTs. That shift rail has been superceded by T2R23795 which has been used in production since VIN 40206 and is supplied as a replacement for ALL F-Type MTs. The change could be a simple casting, vendor, material, etc. change, or could incorporate a design change that renders the short-shifter incompatible.

F-Envy,
Unless someone else has already installed the short-shifter on a late model, there is no way of telling whether it is compatible with the later shifter rail without actually pulling out the OEM stick and comparing it with the short shift stick. What would be critical is the diameter of the pivot ball and the dimensions of the connecting eye.

I am wondering if Jag used this update to address the excessive throw. Before getting into this project, I suggest you measure the throw from gears 3 to 4. The early models had a 4+" stroke which is reduced to 3" with the short-shift kit.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?