Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
or it is like you are in a convoy as a big rig trucker, because even my Jeep Wrangler had a shorter throw and I believe the stick-shift was about 2 feet long. LOL

I am so happy for you. I'm away from my car, on the east coast, and just had the opportunity to drive a 2006 Corvette, manual. Icannot get over how special our F-Type is, and you grabbing one of the last greatest manual transmission cars on the planet Earth is something to cherish and enjoy and celebrate and appreciate.

Congratulations, new human member person. It's truly one of the last great joys of feeling deeply connected to a machine.

The following users liked this post:
evilftypedw (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
or it is like you are in a convoy as a big rig trucker, because even my Jeep Wrangler had a shorter throw and I believe the stick-shift was about 2 feet long. LOL

I am so happy for you. I'm away from my car, on the east coast, and just had the opportunity to drive a 2006 Corvette, manual. Icannot get over how special our F-Type is, and you grabbing one of the last greatest manual transmission cars on the planet Earth is something to cherish and enjoy and celebrate and appreciate.

Congratulations, new human member person. It's truly one of the last great joys of feeling deeply connected to a machine.
Thanks! I am really digging having a stick again (but kept my automatic vert since everybody should have one of each). I used to have a 2001 Corvette Z06 and you had to lift weights to shift the car.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Ok...Here is Unhingd Short-Shifter V2.0. Not nearly as elegant as the V1.0 billet shifter, but equally as functional and less expensive. This one is spoken for. If anyone else is interested, I will need to wait for an OEM shifter to come out of a car.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by evilftypedw
Thanks! I am really digging having a stick again (but kept my automatic vert since everybody should have one of each). I used to have a 2001 Corvette Z06 and you had to lift weights to shift the car.
I drove a 2004 vette vert this past weekend, as it happens, and I felt like I was on a pogo stick. LOL bouncy springy..... made me love ours.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ok...Here is Unhingd Short-Shifter V2.0. Not nearly as elegant as the V1.0 billet shifter, but equally as functional and less expensive. This one is spoken for. If anyone else is interested, I will need to wait for an OEM shifter to come out of a car.
PM me if you need an OEM unit to get things rolling. The likelihood of me ever wanting to reinstall it is exceedingly remote.

Unhingd (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
PM me if you need an OEM unit to get things rolling. The likelihood of me ever wanting to reinstall it is exceedingly remote.
I am mailing out the shifter to Luc. When he confirms that it works as planned, I will have the next shifter modified. I already have others interested. I do have one more OEM shifter available, but it would be helpful to have another so any interested folks don’t have to wait several weeks for an OEM to be returned to me after the installation of a short shifter. I’ll PM you. Thanks!

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-13-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:57 AM
Received 205 Likes on 120 Posts

So I've had the shifter in the car for a couple days now, with my sample consisting of a nice mix of nearly civil town driving in 1-2-3-4, moderate stuff with some nice sweeping turns and some dive-in heel-toe corners in 2-3-4 and living in 3.5k - 5.5k rpm, and one or two little rips on the highway. I think I can safely say that the shifter performs as intended/advertised: shorter throw, (surprisingly) quick shifts, teeny weeny increase in effort to pop it into the next gear (really nothing worth complaining about). I thought I was getting by OK with the OEM shifter, but the contrast is stark - it's really nothing just to pop it into the next gear up or down with this modified lever. Pop and you're there. Quick progressions through the gears are now much more of a blast, much less of a task. Much quicker-feeling too. I'll confess that I did miss a 3-2 downshift going into a corner today (ended up in fourth and felt like a complete fool floating through with no power and squealing front tires), but I'm certain it's just a learning curve item - the rest of the drive was fine after I'd made note of it.

Thumbs up from over here!

Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ok...Here is Unhingd Short-Shifter V2.0.
Do not take this as me criticizing your welding (I likely wouldn't be able to do any better), but have you explored alternatives to welding shaft? Maybe a threaded sleeve?

I read somewhere that gated lambos are prone to snapping shiftiers, I wonder if weld could give out during enthusiastic rowing.

Last edited by SinF; 04-05-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Do not take this as me criticizing your welding (I likely wouldn't be able to do any better), but have you explored alternatives to welding shaft? Maybe a threaded sleeve?

I read somewhere that gated lambos are prone to snapping shiftiers, I wonder if weld could give out during enthusiastic rowing.
I had a similar thought, but there is insufficient length on that section of the OEM shifter to thread the original material. Threading would require welding on additional material anyway. I had them Magnaflux the weld after it was TIG welded and inspected the penetration carefully. Besides, the shifter linkage is so long (substantial flex) that the shifter will not be experiencing significant impact (not like slamming into a shifter gate).

If anyone would like a short-shifter, PM me.

SinF (04-06-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I have a 2017 V6 MT F-type. Where can I find one of these AMAZING short shift kits. I have been combing the internet and still no closer to having a short shift to call my own. Can I get some help? Thanks guys

Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllBlackFtype
Hello, I have a 2017 V6 MT F-type. Where can I find one of these AMAZING short shift kits. I have been combing the internet and still no closer to having a short shift to call my own. Can I get some help? Thanks guys
I will PM you.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any More Shift Kits Available?

Unhinged, thanks for all your helpful posts. I (literally) just purchased a 2017 MT and was hoping you (or someone) still had shift kits available. These threads are incredibly useful, thanks guys (and gals Brian

Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by greensbr
Unhinged, thanks for all your helpful posts. I (literally) just purchased a 2017 MT and was hoping you (or someone) still had shift kits available. These threads are incredibly useful, thanks guys (and gals Brian
I'll respond to your PM.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Another benefit of a manual (especially with the short-shift mod) that hadn't occurred to me before:

The Mrs. and I were very fortunate to be able to take part in last month's 2020 F-Type Ghost Tour . Arriving at our dinner venue one night we backed our cars into the reserved parking spots trying to keep a reasonably neat line (as usual). And since it was twelve cars traveling together, you want to do this accurately and smoothly, because you don't want to keep your fellow Tourers behind you waiting forever, right? The thing is, It often takes a few back-and-forth sequences to get it right (hey it's an F-Type - if you wanted rear visibility you'd be driving a Prius) especially in this case because it was dark there wasn't much room to maneuver. So everyone jogs between forward and reverse several times.

When it was parked and I got out, fellow Tourer and friend who had just parked next to me (& who drives a sharp R with a host of performance mods), came up and asked if I had done transmission modifications. Puzzled, I said "No, why?" He said "you were moving way faster between forward and reverse than I could, so I figured you must have done something to the transmission." I said "No. It's a manual."

Mbourne (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

I love it when a plan—parking plan that is—comes together.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-10-2020 at 06:48 PM.
takeapieandrun (11-15-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

I love it when a plan—parking plan that is—comes together.
Granted it was at 7am on a Saturday morning, which helped make it a little quicker and easier to park!

Old 04-23-2021, 07:55 AM

I have the short shifter but thinking about moving to a manual convertible. Wondering if should take the shifter out of the current car, or preferably, leave it in and use the OEM shifter (I still have) for the v2.0 mod. Any reason not to?

Old 04-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
I have the short shifter but thinking about moving to a manual convertible. Wondering if should take the shifter out of the current car, or preferably, leave it in and use the OEM shifter (I still have) for the v2.0 mod. Any reason not to?
Only reason to leave the one in the car now is that it's a pain to swap out. For a private party sale, the short shifter might help the car show a little better. If you have the v1.0, I'd suggest that on principle it's a little better in that it's machined from billet, but I haven't heard of any issues with v2.0. It's two installations one way, one installation and one new shifter the other way.

Jim F (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Only reason to leave the one in the car now is that it's a pain to swap out. For a private party sale, the short shifter might help the car show a little better. If you have the v1.0, I'd suggest that on principle it's a little better in that it's machined from billet, but I haven't heard of any issues with v2.0. It's two installations one way, one installation and one new shifter the other way.
Agreed: They’ll both feel identical and the weld penetration achieved by the fabricator on the modified OEM shifter is superb. The billet unit (which can’t.be seen) looks a lot cooler, but the steel unit is at least as strong.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 PM

Thanks and agree fewer installations are good. And I'm sure it'll help; it does the job plus it's rare and indestructible.

Agreed: They’ll both feel identical and the weld penetration achieved by the fabricator on the modified OEM shifter is superb. The billet unit (which can’t.be seen) looks a lot cooler, but the steel unit is at least as strong.
Good to know. If/when I'm ready, are you still handling it?

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?