Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by NSY
Would be great to get through the gates quicker and smoother.
Quicker is likely, smoother not. The smoothness is determined by the linkage in the transmission tail assembly. The short-shifter is constructed by changing the relative pivot location of the shift arm, so smoothness will not be addressed, only speed.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 PM
NSY
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just curious. I find my shifter does not go through the gates as smoothly as did my previous Audit TTRS. I understand that oil is sprayed on the lever as it passes through. Are you experiencing the same issue?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

My MINI (short) shifter is even more notchy than the F-Type, but I actually like it that way (strong indent springs)... a very positive feel with full confidence the tranny will stay in gear. I'm not a fan of smooth shift patterns. The short shifter, having less mechanical advantage, will actually accentuate the notchiness.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:26 PM
NSY

Good to know. Thanks

Old 11-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

With a notchy shifter I am tempted to slam shifter into gear. Not good for transmission. F-type gearbox is already notchy.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Default 90 day update

Zero progress by Fidanza since the last update. I am now pursuing other options. Does anyone have access to the transmission/shift rail parts explosion? I need to determine the approximate distance between the lowest side of the shifter and propshaft.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Subscribed! Fight the good fight!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default On new path

After several months of empty promises from Fidanza to make progress on the short shifter project, I finally decided to terminate my involvement with them. However, a well known shifter manufacturer in the Netherlands has offered to look at the shifter rail that I will be sending them to determine if they can develop a solution. If that fails, I will work with a local machine shop to build a prototype. If they do choose to proceed, I will provide details as we make progress.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

It's unfortunate that Fidanza has determined that it is not commercially viable. It may be true, but it's still unfortunate. As before, I am still interested, and if the cost is within reason, given the market, I will reaffirm my previous commitment. It'd be nice to get the shifter throw of my 26 year old Miata in my new Jaguar.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It's unfortunate that Fidanza has determined that it is not commercially viable. It may be true, but it's still unfortunate. As before, I am still interested, and if the cost is within reason, given the market, I will reaffirm my previous commitment. It'd be nice to get the shifter throw of my 26 year old Miata in my new Jaguar.
I don't think it was an issue of commercial viability. They already make 80% of the parts that are needed. It's the last piece they just couldn't get focused on. The shifter is commercially viable, but Fidanza obviously has better opportunities to focus on elsewhere. Keep in mind, Fidanza develops flywheels, clutch kits, cam gears, short shifters and other performance parts, so there's no impetus to make more than a fleeting effort to design a shifter for the few of us with an F-Type MT. The company I'm dealing with now makes nothing but shifters, and for a huge number of makes and models.

Please measure the throw on your Miata, and let me know what it is.

The throw on the F-Type OEM shifter is ~10mm, and it's 7.5mm on my MINI short-shifter. With the reduced mechanical advantage, getting the MINI into reverse requires a bit of a grunt, but it's OEM gate spring was stiffer than that of the F-Type out of the box.

Also, are you satisfied with the relative position of the shift knob? For typical driving, I personally would prefer it lower, but when charging into corners, I would prefer it closer to the wheel. I'm thinking it should be left where it is as a decent compromise. In any event, I'm hoping it can be made with a non-tapered shaft so that we can mount any knob we want to. The OEM tapered shaft makes it virtually impossible to find anything else that fits.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-13-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've sent you a PM about measurement methodology. I'll post here once I get that reply. I want to make sure we're making the same measurements the same way.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Really happy to hear this is going forward!

I'd love a standard thread size to use whatever knob I want.

As for height, I've never thought about it, so it's likely comfortable.

It's the length of throw and feel that could be improved.

Last edited by jfranks; 01-13-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

The throw on the F-Type OEM shifter is ~10mm, and it's 7.5mm on my MINI short-shifter. With the reduced mechanical advantage, getting the MINI into reverse requires a bit of a grunt, but it's OEM gate spring was stiffer than that of the F-Type out of the box.
Are you sure those aren't cm? :/

I get a bit less that 10cm for the F, measured on the 3-4 line. The Miata is about 8.5cm measured the same. Side to side is pretty similar, because the sideways movement from the 3-4 line to 5 is pretty long on the Miata.

Also, are you satisfied with the relative position of the shift knob? For typical driving, I personally would prefer it lower, but when charging into corners, I would prefer it closer to the wheel. I'm thinking it should be left where it is as a decent compromise.
The centerline of the steering wheel to the shifter, sitting in neutral, is about 36cm for the F and about 35 for the Miata. Overall, not that different. I didn't measure height. I think I concur; that the position is a reasonable compromise.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Are you sure those aren't cm? :/

I get a bit less that 10cm for the F, measured on the 3-4 line. The Miata is about 8.5cm measured the same. Side to side is pretty similar, because the sideways movement from the 3-4 line to 5 is pretty long on the Miata.

The centerline of the steering wheel to the shifter, sitting in neutral, is about 36cm for the F and about 35 for the Miata. Overall, not that different. I didn't measure height. I think I concur; that the position is a reasonable compromise.
Thanks for the measurements. we'll shoot for a 7.5-8.0 cm throw.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I had the entire shifter rail mechanism shipped to M-Tech in the Netherlands, and just got this message on Saturday: "Just to let you know we have received the Jaguar shifter. I will start development as soon as possible. We are a bit busy with more shifter types for other car brands, but I will try to get this Jaguar short shifter kit ready as soon as possible."

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Inspector-G (01-24-2017), jfranks (01-23-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Default Finally, progress.

M-Tech has designed the shifter, reducing the throw from 100mm to 72mm (28%). They will be offering the shifter (Model S645-Shift, also known as the Unhingd Shifter )online in about a month for 279 euros plus shipping from the Netherlands, but will not begin production until they have a certain number of orders. I have decided to order sufficient numbers for immediate production, which they have offered me at a discount. I will be selling them for US$275 plus shipping from Maryland, but will offer them to forum members for US$225 plus shipping from MD.

Before I ship them I will test fit one on my car in case adjustments need to be made. I can then provide complete installation instructions with pics (and time needed). It is likely that the car will need to go on a lift, but the tranny will definitely not need to be removed from the car. On Monday, I should have a better idea when they will be available. If interested, please pm me.

The following users liked this post:
Inspector-G (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 PM
NSY
Default Short shifter

Anxious to hear how you like it. Thanks for all the follow through.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 PM

M-Tech has designed the shifter, reducing the throw from 100mm to 72mm (28%). They will be offering the shifter (Model S645-Shift, also known as the Unhingd Shifter )online in about a month for 279 euros plus shipping from the Netherlands, but will not begin production until they have a certain number of orders. I have decided to order sufficient numbers for immediate production, which they have offered me at a discount. I will be selling them for US$275 plus shipping from Maryland, but will offer them to forum members for US$225 plus shipping from MD.

Before I ship them I will test fit one on my car in case adjustments need to be made. I can then provide complete installation instructions with pics (and time needed). It is likely that the car will need to go on a lift, but the tranny will definitely not need to be removed from the car. On Monday, I should have a better idea when they will be available. If interested, please pm me.
sign me up!

Unhingd (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Geez, Lance, you're going from using to dealing.

Seriously, though, nice work - you have a lot of new friends from the rowing community.

Unhingd (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

If interested, please pm me.
I committed to the first project and I won't retract that. I'll send you a PM.

Unhingd (02-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?