F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Right on! I am very interested, but I wonder if the stock shift knob can still be used. I'm a fan of it and want to continue using it.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector-G
Right on! I am very interested, but I wonder if the stock shift knob can still be used. I'm a fan of it and want to continue using it.
i haven't seen it yet, but I believe it leaves the current OEM knob and stick in the exact same location.

The following users liked this post:
Inspector-G (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

I am committed. let me know where to send the check!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
I am committed. let me know where to send the check!
The shifters are scheduled to be fabricated in 3-4 weeks. Add a week for shipping and another for me to install and test one (total ~6 weeks, first week in April). If it performs as hoped, I will contact all who have expressed interest.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The shifters are scheduled to be fabricated in 3-4 weeks. Add a week for shipping and another for me to install and test one (total ~6 weeks, first week in April). If it performs as hoped, I will contact all who have expressed interest.
Sorry to sound like a conservative dolt, but will this impact warranty? Aug 2015 to now, I am halfway there.... But would love to not wait another year+ for this. And if I kill the warranty I am doing a tune and pulley swap. 😃

Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Sorry to sound like a conservative dolt, but will this impact warranty? Aug 2015 to now, I am halfway there.... But would love to not wait another year+ for this. And if I kill the warranty I am doing a tune and pulley swap. 😃
The Magnuson-Moss Act specifically charges the manufacturer with having to demonstrate that the modification has caused the failure. It's difficult for the consumer to prove otherwise if a tune/pulley is present during a catastrophic engine event. However, there is very little in the way of any kind of damages that could be attributed to a short-shifter except if the stick comes off in your hand, or you can't get it into a given gear. No impact on warranty coverage for anything else. Plenty of online ambulance chasers (example Lemon Law PA, NJ, NY, MD - Free Assistance & Info) willing to go to bat for you in such a case on a contingent basis since the Act also forces legal payment on the manufacturer if they lose. Your risk is that you might have to pay for reverting back to the OEM shifter if something goes wrong with the new one.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Many many years go when i was well south of age 30, I decided I wanted to go road racing. I was fortunate to work for a company that had an owner that had already "been there and done that!" He sat me down and explained that the car parts company I worked for would certainly support my effort and, give me the base tub to race. But, he asked was I prepared to pay for travel, time away from family, tow vehicle, trailer, tires, yada yada yada. (I decided my marriage was worth much more than a dream to no where!)

Today approaching my senior years, I consider the risk of my voiding warranty with my mods as an exponentially less risky in lifestyle and financial risk than had I gone racing for even the shortest period of time. I pose this thought hoping to stay on topic of the thread but also as a thought for all of us boy and girl racers that might have wondered what if.....

Making a mod and enjoying it at the risk of a manufacture turning their back on you is a smaller risk than exploring our youthful or not so youthful dreams. Food for thought. Each day life gets a little shorter for each of us and grabbing any and all the fun possible while not hurting others is a decent trade off for me.

jfranks (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Many many years go when i was well south of age 30, I decided I wanted to go road racing. I was fortunate to work for a company that had an owner that had already "been there and done that!" He sat me down and explained that the car parts company I worked for would certainly support my effort and, give me the base tub to race. But, he asked was I prepared to pay for travel, time away from family, tow vehicle, trailer, tires, yada yada yada. (I decided my marriage was worth much more than a dream to no where!)

Today approaching my senior years, I consider the risk of my voiding warranty with my mods as an exponentially less risky in lifestyle and financial risk than had I gone racing for even the shortest period of time. I pose this thought hoping to stay on topic of the thread but also as a thought for all of us boy and girl racers that might have wondered what if.....

Making a mod and enjoying it at the risk of a manufacture turning their back on you is a smaller risk than exploring our youthful or not so youthful dreams. Food for thought. Each day life gets a little shorter for each of us and grabbing any and all the fun possible while not hurting others is a decent trade off for me.

this and unhingd's post sealed it. I am in. Woot

Old 02-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a preview of what we're getting:S645-Shift for Jaguar F-Type with manual gearbox - MTech Short Shifters
Remember: don't go ordering off the website. You'll get it a lot cheaper from me on the group buy, and much quicker since I'm getting the first production batch.

Inspector-G (02-25-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a preview of what we're getting:S645-Shift for Jaguar F-Type with manual gearbox - MTech Short Shifters
Remember: don't go ordering off the website. You'll get it a lot cheaper from me on the group buy, and much quicker since I'm getting the first production batch.
Lance,
Not sure if I let you know a while back, but I'm in on this as well.
Bill

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
Lance,
Not sure if I let you know a while back, but I'm in on this as well.
Bill
Thanks. I need to take a close count of the commitments so far. I might have to increase the size of the first order.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Production of the short-shift kits begins the week of March 27.

Inspector-G (03-15-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Super excited. Thanks again for all your dedication to this car that you need to put more miles on. LOL =)

edit:

How many more you got? I am going to post on reddit. I made the Arrested Development "nevernude" joke....

if anyone is interested in a short shifter for the F-Type... I know there's literally dozens of us.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-16-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

if anyone is interested in a short shifter for the F-Type... I know there's literally dozens of us.
I've got 10 on order. As soon as I have 6 shipped, I will place another order for 10, so there should not be much of a backorder once it has received the Unhingd seal of approval. I don't see lead time exceeding 4-5 weeks even if I there is a run on them. Thank you for spreading the word.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

I've got 10 on order. As soon as I have 6 shipped, I will place another order for 10, so there should not be much of a backorder once it has received the Unhingd seal of approval. I don't see lead time exceeding 4-5 weeks even if I there is a run on them. Thank you for spreading the word.
You need a Logo or Seal. I spent more time on the below than I'd like to admit.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

You need a Logo or Seal. I spent more time on the below than I'd like to admit.

I actually have a friend, a graphic artist, creating one. You can't sell high performance parts without throwing in a decal that rots in your desk drawer with the rest.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

"Unhingd Seal of Approval" Hmmm. Where have I heard that before?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default On the way

The short-shifters are being shipped to me tomorrow and I should have them next week and one installed on my car the following week. For anyone ordering one (assuming success on my cat), make certain you pm me your full name, address and email so that I can figure shipping cost and send you a PayPal invoice.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default Theeere Heere!

Short Shifters arrived today. Mine is going in tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Short Shifter Installation.pdf (957.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Short Shifters arrived today. Mine is going in tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
Looks nice, but not looking forward to step #13 :-(

13.Remove exhaust system

I knew about that before, but without a lift that might be ... unpleasant.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?