Short Shifter, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Looks nice, but not looking forward to step #13 :-(

13.Remove exhaust system

I knew about that before, but without a lift that might be ... unpleasant.
I know. With a lift, it's real easy. You don't want to be doing that on your back.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Default PERFECT!

Installed the shifter. The throw has been reduced to 3 inches. Perfect. Now it's far less likely to accidentally switch on/off the sound system. Fast quick shifts. Installation will take 2-3 hours. Exhaust system does not need to be dropped, but I recommend it. May actually save time getting at the shifter pivot bolt. In either event you need a lift.
For those interested in the shifter:
1. If I have your email address, I will contact you directly
2. If I don't, please pm me with your name, mailing address, email and phone number.
3. If ordered before 4/30, price is $225 plus $7.15 for 2 day priority mail. This compares with 4H-Tech's retail price of 279 Euro ($295) plus shipping from the Netherlands.
4. I will send you a PayPal invoice and ship within 24 hrs of receiving your payment.

Questions?: you know where to find me.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Uhingd,

Any chance you could post a short video of rowing through the gears to see the difference to see if I would be interested.

Much appreciated. And thanks for all your hard work on this obsession of ours.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

My C30 was a matter of push down, quarter turn to the left. That made aftermarket knobs a problem, but removal was snap. Maybe I'll take a look later this week.
Removing the knob is easy if you know the trick. You have to pull down the top of the shift about 1/2 inch. You may need a plastic pry tool between the top of the boot and the chrome ring on the bottom of the knob to loosen it. Once the boot is pulled down you can jerk up (no Dave, I did not say off) on the knob. Then the boot bezel (under the leather)snaps up out of the console. The instructions are attached above for the remainder of the job.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Canadairjet
Uhingd,

Any chance you could post a short video of rowing through the gears to see the difference to see if I would be interested.

Much appreciated. And thanks for all your hard work on this obsession of ours.
Really not much to see other than the travel being 3 inches fore and aft rather than 4 inches. However, that translates into a much improved feel. I now don't feel like I am pulling my arm behind me to shift into the even gears and I'm not having to stretch my arm all the way out to hit 5th. My production quality on my iPhone is horrific, so not ready for prime time. If you pm me your email, I'll send you a clip.

Two units already shipped today. Four more committed to. with one installed, that leaves just 3 before I have to order another batch.(if we get that far)

Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Received mine yesterday and it's a really nice looking piece. It's solid and well-machined, with a nice heft to it.

Now, to figure out installation. I'm reluctant to pay to have it done (point of pride), but without a lift I just might do that.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Received mine yesterday and it's a really nice looking piece. It's solid and well-machined, with a nice heft to it.

Now, to figure out installation. I'm reluctant to pay to have it done (point of pride), but without a lift I just might do that.
But for one bolt, you can do the whole job without a lift.
But that's like saying: "if the queen had *****, she'd be king"

Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Spoken like a king. Which is what you are.

King F.U.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

The Queen can drive a stick though, and a military truck. That probably gives her more ***** than many kings.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Default Please take photos

As any of you install the shifter, if possible, please take photos of the disassembly/reassembly from inside the car. For me the lighting was pretty crappy, so I was unable to get good shots. The installation instructions would be more useful if the attached photos showed the shifter in place rather than on a stand-alone shift rail. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Love your new logo, loved it on the shipped part, love the part, excited to get to know my local non dealer Jag guy. And my point of pride is understanding how immensely valuable my time is, versus a professional getting it done efficiently and paying him a few dollars. Or that's just haughty and arrogant justification for not having a clue how to do this.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Or that's just haughty and arrogant justification for not having a clue how to do this.
Self awareness is the first step to enlightenment.

...or...

A man's got to know his limitations.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

If I put the car up on jack stands, can I install it?

Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfranks
If I put the car up on jack stands, can I install it?
that one bolt you need to get out from underneath is a bitch to deal with even with the car up in the air, unless you remove the exhaust system. If you can remove the exhaust system with the car on jackstands ,have at it. ( but I would bet against it )

Old 04-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Love your new logo, loved it on the shipped part, love the part, excited to get to know my local non dealer Jag guy. And my point of pride is understanding how immensely valuable my time is, versus a professional getting it done efficiently and paying him a few dollars. Or that's just haughty and arrogant justification for not having a clue how to do this.
You got the logo on your shifter? You must be more special than I am. I think I'll go somewhere and sulk.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

You got the logo on your shifter? You must be more special than I am. I think I'll go somewhere and sulk.
Naw...he just got the logo on his invoice. In a couple weeks, I'll have small window clings to send out to folks.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Naw...he just got the logo on his invoice. In a couple weeks, I'll have small window clings to send out to folks.
Correct... first time I had seen it was there, but now it's here, and pretty nifty on the clings, sir. Fun.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default Disassembly (Assembly) Instructions

This is what you are starting with.

Just below the chrome ring at the bottom of the knob, push the top of the boot down.

Pull up briskly on the knob (don't hit yourself in the face).

Grab under the edge boot bezel.

Lift up and out.

Lift out the weight.

Lift up and remove the sound cozy.

Twist the white retaining ring CLOCKWISE (about 1/8 turn) and pull straight up on the upper shift rod and remove.

Important: observe exactly the order and position of the two rubber bushings on the remaining lower shaft so you put them back in the same way. Pull up on the upper bushing and remove.

Pull up on the lower bushing and remove.

Spin the retain ring to line up the tabs on the rod and slots on the ring. Lift the ring and remove.

Here comes the hard part: work the weather boot out of the hole in the transmission tunnel.

It's actually easier to reinstall than to remove, but you'll get it.

Turn the lower white retaining ring clockwise (about 1/8 turn)...

...and remove.

Now you are ready to go underneath and remove the horizontal bolt that is inserted from the left side of the car. Once removed, the lower rod pulls straight up out of the socket. This lower rod is what you will be replacing.

Reverse the process to install the new lower shaft.

With skinny fingers and massive dexterity you can remove/replace the bolt without removing the exhaust system by removing the mounting bolts for the rear 2 heat shield and sliding them towards the rear as far as possible (about 5-6"). However, given how long it took to try to align that bolt for reassembly, I think we could have done it faster by removing the exhaust. The whole job took 2 hours.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking down on the shift lever, which we will replace, from inside the car, which side is the bolt located, LH(driver side USA) or RH (driver side UK?)

Your pics are phenom!

Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Looking down on the shift lever, which we will replace, from inside the car, which side is the bolt located, LH(driver side USA) or RH (driver side UK?)

Your pics are phenom!
LH side. Be certain to carefully read the captions for each of the pictures. Also, be certain to liberally lubricate the ball and socket before reassembly. The grease is included in the kit.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-15-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, Anyone?