F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 2015 F-type R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Should I buy a 2015 F-type R?

I visited my local dealer yesterday and drove a 2015 R in their inventory. I really liked it. If it was a manual, my decision would be made. My wife wants an automatic so I am being pushed toward the R versus ordering a 2016 S coupe with a manual. It's an ongoing dilemma.

I asked the dealer's sales rep to quote her best possible price. Here are her numbers:

MSRP $109,113
Less Discount 5,000
Less Rebate 3,000
Adjusted Price $101,113

Plus tax, title, tag and deal fees.

I think the price is still higher than it should be but I'd appreciate the comments of others on this forum. I think that the "deal fees" are really that awful doc fee of 599.00 which is pure profit for the dealer but I do not know for sure.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 02-05-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That seems high for a 2015. Try amexnetwork.truecar.com and enter the exact configuration. You should get an offer lower than that and negotiate down from that with the dealer.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
I visited my local dealer yesterday and drove a 2015 R in their inventory. I really liked it. If it was a manual, my decision would be made. My wife wants an automatic so I am being pushed toward the R versus ordering a 2016 S coupe with a manual. It's an ongoing dilemma.

I asked the dealer's sales rep to quote her best possible price. Here are her numbers:

MSRP $109,113
Less Discount 5,000
Less Rebate 3,000
Adjusted Price $101,113

Plus tax, title, tag and deal fees.

I think the price is still higher than it should be but I'd appreciate the comments of others on this forum. I think that the "deal fees" are really that awful doc fee of 599.00 which is pure profit for the dealer but I do not know for sure.

Thanks for your advice.
You can put the 2015 R into strict manual mode by moving the shift lever to Sport Mode, engaging the Dynamic mode toggle, then using a paddle shifter on the wheel. I believe the car will then stay in full manual shift until you do any one of the following: grab and hold the right paddle for three seconds; toggle out of Dynamic mode; of move the shift lever back to normal drive mode.

I know some get infatuated with a true stick shift, but in all candor, the 8-speed automatic shifting on the F-Type is so smooth and responsive, I doubt that many drivers can equal the automatic performance of the transmission with manual shifts of their own.
So this car should be a perfect fit for both You and the Wife to drive.

Your deal is not bad. You might be able to get more than 5K off the sticker, especially with a new model year coming, but not much more.

It is my understanding the 3K rebate is new, and replaces the 2500 JOC rebate. Was told last week they are not compatible, in other words, one can't use both.

Last edited by IronMike; 02-05-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kingkong79
That seems high for a 2015. Try amexnetwork.truecar.com and enter the exact configuration. You should get an offer lower than that and negotiate down from that with the dealer.
Truecar comes in with a 5069 dollar discount. I am tempted to try 99K all cash, no trade.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by IronMike
You can put the 2015 R into strict manual mode by moving the shift lever to Sport Mode, engaging the Dynamic mode toggle, then using a paddle shifter on the wheel. I believe the car will then stay in full manual shift until you do any one of the following: grab and hold the right paddle for three seconds; toggle out of Dynamic mode; of move the shift lever back to normal drive mode.

I know some get infatuated with a true stick shift, but in all candor, the 8-speed automatic shifting on the F-Type is so smooth and responsive, I doubt that many drivers can equal the automatic performance of the transmission with manual shifts of their own.

Your deal is not bad. You might be able to get more than 5K off the sticker, especially with a new model year coming, but not much more.

It is my understanding the 3K rebate is new, and replaces the 2500 JOC rebate. Was told last week they are not compatible, in other words, one can't use both.
Thanks. I did not use the paddles yesterday but definitely would if the car was mine.

We'll see what price I can negotiate. I assume that the JCNA discount would be applied at the time of purchase also.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I would definitely expect and push for a more meaningful discount on the 2015 at this point. These cars are not flying off the lot, understandably so as they are expensive, but for what is now effectively a remainder end of model year car, I don't think 5K is a big enough discount.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike

I'm in 100% agreement on your transmission observations. I had essentially crossed the F-Type off my list because of no manual option. However, I decided to go have a look and drive, and it was all over.

This is my first non-manual sports car ever, and honestly, I do not miss the manual. 99% of the time I'm driving in full-manual mode, with dynamic mode, and I am blown away with how good this transmission is. Shifts are instant and firm, and it is an absolute blast to drive exclusively with the paddles.

The following users liked this post:
ApolloBeachRetiree (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I also forgot to mention that you can actually "chirp" the tires shifting to 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear with the ZF auto, while driving in manual and dynamic mode. And this is on a V6.

I'm also 61, so I've have had time to own dozens of manual sports cars. No one was more die-hard about manuals than I was, and it has surprised me how enamored I've become with the ZF auto.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I also forgot to mention that you can actually "chirp" the tires shifting to 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear with the ZF auto, while driving in manual and dynamic mode. And this is on a V6.

I'm also 61, so I've have had time to own dozens of manual sports cars. No one was more die-hard about manuals than I was, and it has surprised me how enamored I've become with the ZF auto.
I hear you. I am 68 and have been driving a 6-speed manual Focus ST and my 67 4-speed hemi GTX for several years. I rarely drive an automatic but this particular R may do me in. I've sold the ST and am starting to work on selling the GTX.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I would definitely expect and push for a more meaningful discount on the 2015 at this point. These cars are not flying off the lot, understandably so as they are expensive, but for what is now effectively a remainder end of model year car, I don't think 5K is a big enough discount.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I agree

Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Your posts always confuse me at first because I see my car in your sig.

Me personally, I would try to get the MY15 R. The ZF transmission is amazing and I've only had manual cars prior to this one.

Your discount is almost identical to what I got when I negotiated an order in August. So I would think you should be able to get a bit more off with an end of year left over stock. But with the MY16 starting at a higher price you might not be able to get it down much more.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Your posts always confuse me at first because I see my car in your sig.

Me personally, I would try to get the MY15 R. The ZF transmission is amazing and I've only had manual cars prior to this one.

Your discount is almost identical to what I got when I negotiated an order in August. So I would think you should be able to get a bit more off with an end of year left over stock. But with the MY16 starting at a higher price you might not be able to get it down much more.
Well, if I buy the R, it is Firesand rather than IRR so we would not have the same car.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, if I buy the R, it is Firesand rather than IRR so we would not have the same car.
Firesand with the black pack is striking as well. You don't see too many of them.

And I meant the picture is actually mine I took when I picked up my R.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Firesand with the black pack is striking as well. You don't see too many of them.

And I meant the picture is actually mine I took when I picked up my R.
Ah, ha! I found the picture on the web and scaled it down. So, thank you, sir.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You mean like this

Attached Thumbnails Should I buy a 2015 F-type R?-imag1043%5B1%5D.jpg   Should I buy a 2015 F-type R?-imag1044%5B2%5D.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

In answer to your original question: Yes, you should buy a 2015 F-type R. Yes, you should.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
You mean like this
That's it!!!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Apollo,

Sounds like you're toast and have totally fallen head over heels. That's not a bad thing!

The following users liked this post:
ApolloBeachRetiree (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay, I crunched the numbers for you, and I came up with the following. I think that your target range should be between $97500 and $98500. That way the dealer still makes between 1 and 2% on the car, irrespective of any incentive it may get from the manufacturer.

If they won't give you this, then they are being greedy especially for MY 2015.

PS: I have a strong feeling that the 2015 R coupe is going to be better than the 2016.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

My wife wants an automatic so I am being pushed toward the R versus ordering a 2016 S coupe with a manual.
How often is she really going to be driving your car?

I wish I had succumbed to the wonders, thrills and precision of the 8 speed ZF that is worthy of deities far more knowledgeable than I of all things automotive. Unfortunately, during the my half hour test drive I was never able to develop a rhythm or feel as one with the machine due to the some disconnect that I can't even describe. You should be able to make this car sing, and an automatic just doesn't offer the flexibility to allow that. With the 6 speed, this is what the F-Type should sound like (in it's own key): Ferrari in Paris circa 1976 - Video

Even a missed shift or two adds to the aria.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2015 F-type R?