F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 2016 f type v6 s 77k miles $29k clean carfax perfect service history?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 2016 f type v6 s 77k miles $29k clean carfax perfect service history?

So I’m thinking about buying this 2016 V6S it’s listed at 77k miles for $29k
car fax reports it has had all regular and recommended maintenance done at Jaguar dealership I even see where the y coolant pipe has been replaced already as well as pinion seal on dif
Car looks to be in great shape except for steering wheel plastics fading peeling?
(Anyone wrap interior with vinyl?)
I’m kinda nervous about setting myself up for a endless money pit as it is at 77k miles.
Any advice? What I should I check for
last service performed was at Jaguar dealer for preparation of sale, has 80k mile service and inspection done.

Old 02-08-2023, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of car for the money.

With European performance cars, I also figure that I'm going to have to budget $2k a year for maintenance. That has not been the case with my F-Types, but when I bought a used Audi S5, I learned real quickly that there was a trade off with the low price. There aren't a lot of high mileage F-Types out there to build a good statistic base on what might go wrong and how much it will cost. It's a bit of a gamble. If it were me, I would look into whether or not you have a good independent Jag shop near by and start building up from there.

How many miles a year will you plan to drive it? Will it be your daily driver? Will it be your only car? Do you have the finances to tackle an expensive problem if it arises?

There are lots of low mileage examples out there and they will cost more. When I bought my used S5, I sunk about $10k into it in about two years and then sold if for a considerable loss. I was happy to walk away. The S5 was my daily driver and I just could not justify what looked like a money pit. I think I made the right decision. For the F-Type you found? I'd be tempted to get it, drive the snot out of it and have the highest mileage F-Type in the land. I have confidence in the powertrain, but know that if you sell it in two years it will be worth less than it is now. I figure they will probably be in the $15k range by the time they are 10 years old and eventually bottom out below $10k

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Ftypekyle (02-08-2023), scm (02-09-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Wow, that's a lot of car for the money.

With European performance cars, I also figure that I'm going to have to budget $2k a year for maintenance. That has not been the case with my F-Types, but when I bought a used Audi S5, I learned real quickly that there was a trade off with the low price. There aren't a lot of high mileage F-Types out there to build a good statistic base on what might go wrong and how much it will cost. It's a bit of a gamble. If it were me, I would look into whether or not you have a good independent Jag shop near by and start building up from there.

How many miles a year will you plan to drive it? Will it be your daily driver? Will it be your only car? Do you have the finances to tackle an expensive problem if it arises?

There are lots of low mileage examples out there and they will cost more. When I bought my used S5, I sunk about $10k into it in about two years and then sold if for a considerable loss. I was happy to walk away. The S5 was my daily driver and I just could not justify what looked like a money pit. I think I made the right decision. For the F-Type you found? I'd be tempted to get it, drive the snot out of it and have the highest mileage F-Type in the land. I have confidence in the powertrain, but know that if you sell it in two years it will be worth less than it is now. I figure they will probably be in the $15k range by the time they are 10 years old and eventually bottom out below $10k
I appreciate your input
it would be my daily driver I would prolly put around 10k miles a year on it
I hear a lot of people talking about with proper maintenance these engine can last 200k plus
I just don’t know what to do
I want an Ftype v6 s so bad
maybe I should wait and save up some more for a lower mileage

Old 02-08-2023, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The supercharged V6 is used across the Jag and Land Rover platforms. So there are many high mileage land rovers on that engine. We've done 75k miles in the past 4.5 years with the V6 supercharged in our Land Rover with no issues at all. I know lots else that can go wrong in a car but it's certainly not an excessive mileage for a modern engine
What's the rest of the condition of the vehicle like? You could tuck away money for repairs given the low price. Or keep looking for a slightly lower mileage one? If you're doing 10k a year you'll get to 100k miles pretty quickly. If I were you I'd aim for something around or under 50k as a start point

One other thought. Obvious I know. But you're still doing maintenance on a $70k luxury sports car - even if you buy it for $29k. So agree with the comments above on maintenance - and you could easily run a year with $5k or more maintenance at that age. So ensure you have the funds for looking after it. Not just buying it

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-09-2023)