F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a CPO f-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016 | 07:22 AM

We bought the warranty from Palm Beach Jaguar, was OEM factory extended, but wasn't the level of service we received when the original warranty was still on. It's a long story that started with a leaky coolant, we had to take the car back twice and got charged (2 out of three times) because they didn't notice something else that was leaking, and that wasn't covered with warranty, so the time to take the car apart and put it together etc/twice. Four days and they gave us a loaner (used to be same model jag), a piece of crap dodge that I ended up paying 75.00/day (it was free before)... that was just our experience and may vary with other dealers. Like I said, we can't hold a grudge, and they more than made up with the deals we got on the two new ones.

Old 02-25-2016 | 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Bought a CPO 2014 V8S this week and I'm pretty happy about it. Saved $35,000 and the car doesn't have even one chip on it. mileage is 6300 miles and though I'm sure the new AWD R is a faster car on the track, for my use the V8S is plenty fast and I didn't want/need the added weight or complexity of the AWD....especially since this is a summer only car. The CPO warranty (in my case) was an extension of the factory warranty to 6 years/160,000 kms.....due to some very stringent requirements, the dealer had to replace the P Zeros with new ones due to one rear being 1mm too worn.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 02-25-2016 | 04:39 PM

+1 on what Foosh said. Dealers offer CPO cars at a much higher price. The dealer buys an extended warranty (the same as what you can purchase), marks it up a BUNCH, and passes the car along to you.

If you buy a 14, 15, or 16 car, there will still be warranty left on it from the factory. Most of these cars run out of time before they run out of miles. So at the end of your factory warranty you can decide if you want to purchase an extended warranty without the dealer mark up.

BTW I don't drive an F Type. Mine is a 2011 XKR and it has been very trouble free. You will love having a Jaguar.

Old 02-25-2016 | 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kyle191
+1 on what Foosh said. Dealers offer CPO cars at a much higher price. The dealer buys an extended warranty (the same as what you can purchase), marks it up a BUNCH, and passes the car along to you.

If you buy a 14, 15, or 16 car, there will still be warranty left on it from the factory. Most of these cars run out of time before they run out of miles. So at the end of your factory warranty you can decide if you want to purchase an extended warranty without the dealer mark up.

BTW I don't drive an F Type. Mine is a 2011 XKR and it has been very trouble free. You will love having a Jaguar.
In my case the warranty was included in the deal which I felt was a fair price for the car without any extra warranty costs included.....plus I don't think he was aware that in order to satisfy the requirements of the CPO warranty he had to put a new set of tires on the car (at no cost after the deal was negotiated)....bottom line; I think I did OK and am happy though I realize what Foosh is saying is true.

The factory warranty (based on the in-service date) on my car would have been over in July of 2017 whereas the extended warranty will now last until July of 2019 which makes me much more comfortable.....though I hope I wont need it!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 02-25-2016 | 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Bought a CPO 2014 V8S this week and I'm pretty happy about it. Saved $35,000 and the car doesn't have even one chip on it. mileage is 6300 miles and though I'm sure the new AWD R is a faster car on the track, for my use the V8S is plenty fast and I didn't want/need the added weight or complexity of the AWD....especially since this is a summer only car. The CPO warranty (in my case) was an extension of the factory warranty to 6 years/160,000 kms.....due to some very stringent requirements, the dealer had to replace the P Zeros with new ones due to one rear being 1mm too worn.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave terrific looking car. Much like the one I got as a CPO as well. Only difference at first glance is my roof is red. Even similar milages at the time of purchase You'll love it!

Old 02-25-2016 | 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks; I hope so. .....waiting for spring is killing me; it's so pretty, I just want to drive it!

cheers,
Dave

Old 02-26-2016 | 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks; I hope so. .....waiting for spring is killing me; it's so pretty, I just want to drive it!

cheers,
Dave
Dave,
Why aren't you out driving it now? Your temps should be above freezing this week.

Old 02-26-2016 | 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

...way too much of the 3/4" - gravel that they call "sand" on the roads from the snow removal crews...

Dave

Old 02-26-2016 | 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

...way too much of the 3/4" - gravel that they call "sand" on the roads from the snow removal crews...

Dave
Xpel film!

Old 02-26-2016 | 02:19 PM

rock chips build character ;0

Old 02-26-2016 | 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Haha; I have the Xpel......and rock chips can build character on someone ELSE's Jag.... :-)

Dave

Old 02-26-2016 | 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Xpel film!
Took the cover off mine tonight and turned back on the insurance! She has slept long enough. Cars and coffee tomorrow and some wheel time! Can't wait.

Old 02-26-2016 | 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Took the cover off mine tonight and turned back on the insurance! She has slept long enough. Cars and coffee tomorrow and some wheel time! Can't wait.
Have to fly to Tampa tomorrow. Otherwise I'd join you at C&C.

Old 02-26-2016 | 10:51 PM
BMo

I favor the CPO route myself, have bought a few cars this way. The *********** is supposed to perform a 100+ point inspection on the car then add 1-2 yrs and roughly 40,00 miles (depending on the brand) to the existing warranty. I have spoken to numerous car people about CPO programs. Yes the dealers make money on them but the good news is they vet the cars. If a car does not have a pristine history and meet strict criteria it will likely not qualify for CPO program. Yes it costs more than buying a used car and then buying an additional warranty but it offers peace of mind IMO. I have had very good success w/ CPO cars. As for my Kitty it is a 2016 R vert that i bought w/ 1,700 miles for 20k off MSRP and got a warranty for 6 months longer and 40k miles more than if I had bought brand new! CPO is a good way to go.
Furthermore, the F Type offers way more WOW factor than any BMW offering and is way, way more fun!!!

Old 02-26-2016 | 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

All true above, and I agree that CPO probably gives one better odds. I've bought several that way myself.

However, I've run across a number of cars that would qualify to be CPO, but do not receive that designation because dealers don't want to hassle w/ the paperwork required by the manufacturer. That's particularly the case on cars w/ a lot of new car warranty left. I've had that confirmed by several dealers who have offered to CPO a car for me and then suggesting they could give me a better deal without it.

Old 02-27-2016 | 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

yes, my dealer dangled that carrot too (especially after he found out he needed to install a new set of p zeros) but I didn't bite.

Dave

Old 03-08-2016 | 03:27 PM

I second the not good DD person. I had anK for6 months and the suspension was rough and stitterish at best as a DD. My Evora is a MUCH better DD! Jag suspensions aren't even close except for the big sedans. BTW I owned a 98 XJ, a 2004 XJVDP for 10 years and a 2102 XK coupe for 6 months. Was supposed to be the wife's 50th bday present but got run over by a truck. She is far happier with the MX5 Miata GTPRHT I got her to play with! PS It also rides better with the suspension tweeks it has received.

Old 03-09-2016 | 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose it depends on the roads where you live; I didn't find the F type to be harsh and neither did any of the road tests I read/saw. Not about to trade for a Miata yet; LOL!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-10-2016 | 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

The only reason to CPO is if you are going to buy factory extended warranty. Otherwise, it is pure lucre for the dealership.

Old 03-10-2016 | 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
The only reason to CPO is if you are going to buy factory extended warranty. Otherwise, it is pure lucre for the dealership.
I thought CPO *is* a factory extended warranty(?)

Quick Reply: Should I buy a CPO f-type?