F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this f-type even after failures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I buy this f-type even after failures?

I finally found a beautiful Salsa Red S model, 2015 with 29k miles. The seller confessed that in their first 6 months of ownership, the Y pipe failed and the supercharger actuator. I was already aware of the Y pipe issue in these models and had planned to upgrade this myself. Cost him $2000. Ouch.

So he is frustrated and put the car on the market. The weekend after I test drove it (and said I would buy it before he informed me of these failures) he took it for a getaway drive and it failed again. Check engine light came in and the car quit running on the freeway. I'm still waiting for the results of that.

I love this car. The color is very hard to find almost anywhere. Should I run? Guess That's hard to answer not knowing this current issue.

Is anyone aware of this so called supercharger actuator failure? Not much about it online. Thx.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:28 PM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

The supercharger actuator is likely the supercharger coupling. The original coupler had a spring which could break. The upgrade is to a solid supercharger coupler, though this can increase noise in the cabin when installed. A failed supercharger coupler, especially in the V6, is an indication this car was possibly driven very hard. There's several other weak points that will arise on hard-driven examples, such as the rear differential (which i believe is a mechanical LSD in the 2015 S).

Personally, I'd run from this car, not walk. If the y-pipe was properly replaced, it should not again be an issue. That this car is again dead is (to me) a fatal condition. To be avoided except dirt-cheap as a parts car only. These supercharged engines driven hard and having an in situ coolant leak can cause catastrophic (unrecoverable) engine damage.

If it were me, I'd just search nationally. Every color is available, coupe or vert, especially early S Types.

Last edited by diablo2112; 01-16-2024 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Moto Pilot (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 05:39 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default No, you are getting advance warning!

Don't let your heart overrule your brain. This car did you a favor by exhibiting its weaknesses before you forked over your hard earned cash. Yes you love the color, but there ARE others out there. As suggested, open up your search area if you can. Get the CarFax on it and ask about JLR service history. Do you really want a car that just died on the road? You want an F that you have confidence in, not one like this that has your gut in knots wondering when, not if, it will fail again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
diablo2112 (01-16-2024), VroomForTwo (01-22-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Never heard of the supercharger coupler AKA torsion isolator spring "breaking", it's a helluva beefy spring!
Instead what happens is it eats away at the plastic next to/around it (the inner body of the coupler) and becomes loose enough to rattle loudly, and then it starts to chew up the SC drive shaft that runs through it. JLR attempted to fix this by putting a hardened insert in the coupler where the spring bumps against it but with limited success.
In any event this car sounds like a bit of a lemon and I would give it a miss.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:43 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

Here's one

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/s-Used...9/NONE/DEFAULT
and more

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2015-Jaguar-F-TYPE-c24291

Last edited by Valerie Stabenow; 01-16-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Moto Pilot (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 05:52 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

This is really up to you and is not a question the internet can answer. All machines have wear items and weak points, whether it's a Toyota Corolla or a half a million dollar bulldozer... used machines are always going to have failures, so the 'glass half full' way of viewing it might be that you're lucky these things failed on the previous owner and not you. The other way of looking at it might be that it's a sign the car was neglected, and it's a bad buy. A good pre-purchase inspection and a review of its service history will help to identify if these are one-off failures or a sign that the car was not looked after. Used sports cars in particular will always have their problems either because they've been babied their whole life and aren't used to being driven hard or, the opposite, they've been driven too hard and everything's clapped.

If you enjoy solving problems and have the financial resources to fix anything else that goes wrong, as well as having a good local Jaguar garage who you've decided you trust, then go for it. If you don't, then don't. Only you can make that decision. Personally I would not purchase a Jaguar of any description if I didn't fall into the first category, as parts are expensive and good labour can be difficult to find in my area.

Moto Pilot (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 08:04 PM

Nice. Thx. Looking for a coupe. Gotta have it.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by diablo2112
The supercharger actuator is likely the supercharger coupling. The original coupler had a spring which could break. The upgrade is to a solid supercharger coupler, though this can increase noise in the cabin when installed. A failed supercharger coupler, especially in the V6, is an indication this car was possibly driven very hard. There's several other weak points that will arise on hard-driven examples, such as the rear differential (which i believe is a mechanical LSD in the 2015 S).

Personally, I'd run from this car, not walk. If the y-pipe was properly replaced, it should not again be an issue. That this car is again dead is (to me) a fatal condition. To be avoided except dirt-cheap as a parts car only. These supercharged engines driven hard and having an in situ coolant leak can cause catastrophic (unrecoverable) engine damage.

If it were me, I'd just search nationally. Every color is available, coupe or vert, especially early S Types.
The Y pipe replacement is a relief. Waiting to hear the latest verdict. It has an impeccable service record. Stay tuned for more results

Old 01-16-2024, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Don't let your heart overrule your brain. This car did you a favor by exhibiting its weaknesses before you forked over your hard earned cash. Yes you love the color, but there ARE others out there. As suggested, open up your search area if you can. Get the CarFax on it and ask about JLR service history. Do you really want a car that just died on the road? You want an F that you have confidence in, not one like this that has your gut in knots wondering when, not if, it will fail again.
I get that. But the flip side is these issues that are probably with this car have been addressed. Let's see what this latest failure was. Stay tuned

Old 01-16-2024, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
This is really up to you and is not a question the internet can answer. All machines have wear items and weak points, whether it's a Toyota Corolla or a half a million dollar bulldozer... used machines are always going to have failures, so the 'glass half full' way of viewing it might be that you're lucky these things failed on the previous owner and not you. The other way of looking at it might be that it's a sign the car was neglected, and it's a bad buy. A good pre-purchase inspection and a review of its service history will help to identify if these are one-off failures or a sign that the car was not looked after. Used sports cars in particular will always have their problems either because they've been babied their whole life and aren't used to being driven hard or, the opposite, they've been driven too hard and everything's clapped.

If you enjoy solving problems and have the financial resources to fix anything else that goes wrong, as well as having a good local Jaguar garage who you've decided you trust, then go for it. If you don't, then don't. Only you can make that decision. Personally I would not purchase a Jaguar of any description if I didn't fall into the first category, as parts are expensive and good labour can be difficult to find in my area.
That's kinda my point.if the weak points of this S model have been partially addressed than it's a win. Waiting to hear the latest failure. Will post on this thread with my purchase decision

Old 01-16-2024, 08:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Salsa Red is a great color, but I’m biased. I was a bit surprised that it wasn’t more popular than it was.

Moto Pilot (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Salsa Red is a great color, but I’m biased. I was a bit surprised that it wasn’t more popular than it was.
Yep.
Way back in 2015 I talked to my local JLR dealership about buying a new F-Type, and learned that Salsa Red and somethingorother white were the only two no cost colour options, everything else was mucho extra $. I selected Salsa Red but the trade-in price they offered for my pristine Kyanite Blue 2010 XFR was insultingly low so no deal was done.

Moto Pilot (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
It's stunning in my eyes.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I'll second the vote on Salsa. One nice thing is that almost all the advertising/literature used it. And, the color has held up well - 10 years and counting.