F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a Project 7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Should I buy a Project 7?

Is the extra money for buying the Project 7 really worth anything (over $50K+) versus buying a (brand new 2018) SVR? (Other than the bragging rights, is there anything anyone would find justifiable for the $50K+ premium for the P7?) Listed @ ~$200K w/~6K miles on it! VIN: SAJWA7A85GMK27953

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=206811951

Old 05-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Forget the project 7....buy the F40

The following 2 users liked this post by zach05855:
DPelletier (05-29-2018), sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

These cars are seldom pure logical purchases. The P7 is a special car due to it's rarety, exclusivity and some special bits and pces. As the lightest and most powerful (same hp as SVR) F type I believe it has the potential to be the fastest F type in some circumstances though few will use one for a track thrashing.

I love the P7 and for me, it's the premier F type model.....but you have to be willing to deal with the lack of a power top and other minor "hard core" issues.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the P7 is used and will likely hold it's value much more than a brand new SVR.

If you love it and can afford it, I say go for it.

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
These cars are seldom pure logical purchases. The P7 is a special car due to it's rarety, exclusivity and some special bits and pces. As the lightest and most powerful (same hp as SVR) F type I believe it has the potential to be the fastest F type in some circumstances though few will use one for a track thrashing.

I love the P7 and for me, it's the premier F type model.....but you have to be willing to deal with the lack of a power top and other minor "hard core" issues.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the P7 is used and will likely hold it's value much more than a brand new SVR.

If you love it and can afford it, I say go for it.

Cheers,
Dave
I adore the P7 but everything you just posted up is exactly why I wouldn't buy it -- its more collector than driver's car [at least if you're concerned about value]. I'd go for the SVR and pile miles on it as the cars are phenomenal to drive and road trip.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by addict
I adore the P7 but everything you just posted up is exactly why I wouldn't buy it -- its more collector than driver's car [at least if you're concerned about value]. I'd go for the SVR and pile miles on it as the cars are phenomenal to drive and road trip.
Yep; I can't argue with that, it depends on what you are buying the car for. I use my F type very sparingly for a variety of reasons so the mileage issue affecting collectibility is far less of a concern for me. Many people (like Zach) that have the P7 have a large collection so mileage tends to stay low because you can't drive them all at once!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Yep; I can't argue with that, it depends on what you are buying the car for. I use my F type very sparingly for a variety of reasons so the mileage issue affecting collectibility is far less of a concern for me. Many people (like Zach) that have the P7 have a large collection so mileage tends to stay low because you can't drive them all at once!

Cheers,
Dave
fair enough! I was expecting the F Type to be a limited use car for me as I have Wrangler I used to drive everywhere in the summer and an Audi that handles winter duty but since picking up the F Type, I haven't even started either of the others...its too good of a drivers car for the money to be sparing with it.

edit: I also have the V6 which is obviously cheaper to buy and cheaper to run

Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy the P7 if your a car collector.
Buy the SVR if you intend on driving it regular.

sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by addict
fair enough! I was expecting the F Type to be a limited use car for me as I have Wrangler I used to drive everywhere in the summer and an Audi that handles winter duty but since picking up the F Type, I haven't even started either of the others...its too good of a drivers car for the money to be sparing with it.

edit: I also have the V6 which is obviously cheaper to buy and cheaper to run
Everybody is different; I have to drive my truck to work often due to the nature of my job which eliminates driving the F type regularly/daily.....I also drive our two MB's plus my two motocycles (weather permitting). If we are shopping, taking the dog or anything else that takes more space we usually take the GLC so for me the F type is a toy that gets used mostly for weekend road trips and getaways.

Nothing wrong with using the car as a DD (though that would be hard in the winter, here), just not what I do.

Dave

Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Buy the P7 if your a car collector.
Buy the SVR if you intend on driving it regular.

makes sense but many people are in-between those two catagories.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Everybody is different; I have to drive my truck to work often due to the nature of my job which eliminates driving the F type regularly/daily.....I also drive our two MB's plus my two motocycles (weather permitting). If we are shopping, taking the dog or anything else that takes more space we usually take the GLC so for me the F type is a toy that gets used mostly for weekend road trips and getaways.

Nothing wrong with using the car as a DD (though that would be hard in the winter, here), just not what I do.

Dave
I am in Boston so similar climate -- we'll see what happens this winter for me but I do plan on putting snows on it -- that said, I walk to and from work so I never actually HAVE to drive [I live in the city]

DPelletier (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Is the extra money for buying the Project 7 really worth anything (over $50K+) versus buying a (brand new 2018) SVR? (Other than the bragging rights, is there anything anyone would find justifiable for the $50K+ premium for the P7?) Listed @ ~$200K w/~6K miles on it! VIN: SAJWA7A85GMK27953
It has no top. Therefore it is limited to only Cars & Coffee days with no rain in forecast or track days. New SVR is MUCH more versatile (+1 SVR)

sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
It has no top. Therefore it is limited to only Cars & Coffee days with no rain in forecast or track days. New SVR is MUCH more versatile (+1 SVR)
well, it does have a top but I agree with your sentiment regarding versatility.

Dave

Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Zach's vote carries weight since he made an early investment in the P7.

For me, if you're willing to buy a MY16, get a used SVR. You won't feel nearly as bad about driving a collectable, and you can put the other $100k towards something else.

sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

makes sense but many people are in-between those two categories.
If you are driving your cars, you are not a car collector, but a car enthusiast.

If you drink your wine, you are not a wine collector, but a wine connoisseur.

If you race your car, you are a race car driver no matter what the car is; if you own a race car but not drive it on the track, then you are not a race car driver no matter what the car is.

sparky fuze (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
If you are driving your cars, you are not a car collector, but a car enthusiast.

If you drink your wine, you are not a wine collector, but a wine connoisseur.

If you race your car, you are a race car driver no matter what the car is; if you own a race car but not drive it on the track, then you are not a race car driver no matter what the car is.
I know many collectors that drive their cars, many wine collectors that drink wine ....I don't know anyone that owns a race car and doesn't drive it so I guess you can keep that one! LOL'

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

This car is being sold here for income potential, along the same vein as Mclaren mp1 or Laferrari, Porsche GT3 RS. The premise being like them this will double in just 5 years.

Absolutely possible. Too many reasons to list here.

Here is how to win no matter what. Forget future potential, buy it for the value it has now to you.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Incidentally. Investment grade cars should not be confused with collectible cars. Collectibles dont have to provide any return on investment and may only be desirable.
This new breed of cars folks are trading like securities, many have never even seen their purchases (not unlike you have not seen the stocks you own), they are housed in places like what is pictured above and for a monthly fee they are driven around the block once a month.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
DPelletier (05-29-2018), uncheel (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

There is one wild-card.

Take note that the Project 7 has already started to go 25% above its selling price- as witnessed in this example with 6k miles factored in. Its probably the only time in history a Jaguar has appreciated this quickly- if at all.

That fact was not lost on the guys at Jaguar. Their ears perked up when all 250 were sold-out and they were completely taken by surprise. So they realized like a mosquito that hits an artery that this is a reliably quick cash cow- to raise sales/ save jobs/ save titles. And perfect trophy for their bosses. This is what F1 wins do for Ferrari. So they have decided to go back to the well and milk the cow again- with an even better/ more stakes Project 7. Because they really had an inferiority complex asking $175k that they have really overcome and now embolden. What this will do for the current Project 7 is anyone's guess.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar aficionados take note, your day in the sun has arrived.
You could have effectively owned and driven a the top Jaguar in the world for free- in fact been paid $25k to do it. This was once a privilege of only Ferrari owners.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have a question.
How much more power can they realistically get out of our 5.0 engines.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Project 7?