Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Not I sir. All one needs are snow tires for lower temps and better traction. Fretting about putting it away and when to take it out seems a waste of one's life and results in diminished enjoyment. Could even lead to an earlier death. �� It's just a car after all.

So now I'm gonna die earlier 'cause I put my F type away for the winter?

Keep in mind the OP is asking about a V8R not a V6.

I own my car, I don't lease it and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I want it to remain pristine for as long as I own it and that means it is NOT going out on roads covered in rocks and salt. This may seem like a waste to YOU, just like driving one in the winter much seems like a waste to me! I also have two proper 4wd vehicles for daily driver and winter duty and both are far more suited to the winter driving environment than a 500hp two seat sportscar.....regardless of the tires you put on it. You want to talk about raising the odds of an early death? Try driving around all winter in the snow with a 500hp RWD car. ;-)

Can you drive an F type R in the winter? sure. Is it a good choice for a winter vehicle? Nope, not even close.

2 cents,

Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 03-20-2016 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-02-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=DPelletier;1425456]ok; I'll assume you're serious. In that case; I'll reiterate: driving an F type R as a DD car in winter conditions is a bad, bad idea. It is faster and more powerful than anything else you own. You won't find many opinions on people that use a 550hp, two seat sportscar with 20" wheels and limited ground clearance in the snow, because there aren't many (any?) people who would do that....for good reason, I'd suggest.

I was planning on 18 " wheels w/ blizzaks, just as on the S5. There are a few GTR's here driven all winter....maybe that is a better comparison, and was also a possibility. (I shouldn't have said "rat", this would be a performance car that can handle big winters)

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

I guess I figure there is a difference between the logic of being limited to one car and using an F type R (with appropriate tires) through the winter around town vs. buying one just to drive in the winter; there are a ton of better vehicles for that.

The 18" wheels would help a bit but probably wouldn't do much for ground clearance assuming you stick with similar OD's. would help with damage from unseen potholes, etc. though. I have 18" wheels with Yokohama Iceguard's on the GLK and I put the 20" AMG wheels with Pirellis on the shelf until spring.

Dave

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Just FYI, 18" wheels won't fit over certain F-Type brake packages. The 18" Velas come on base cars equipped w/ the standard brake package.

Bigger brakes are std. on S and R models.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just FYI, 18" wheels won't fit over certain F-Type brake packages. The 18" Velas come on base cars equipped w/ the standard brake package.

I upgraded the brakes on my S to the R specification (Super Performance), and the clearance with the 19" Centrifuge rims is minimal. Even the smallest brush in the "Wheel Woolies" package won't fit between the caliper and the rim.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh

Thx; i was just logging in to say the same thing.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agreed w/ all, not a good winter DD but an awesome car w/ major FUN factor. Lots of power, AWD is very rear biased, easy to wag the tail if roads even a little wet. Get one! Just don't make it your DD in winter.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

We have several forum members using their cars as daily drivers in winter climates. They have RWD Rs. An AWD fitted with blizzaks will be just fine in area with less than 6 inch snowfall.

Overblown (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
We have several forum members using their cars as daily drivers in winter climates. They have RWD Rs. An AWD fitted with blizzaks will be just fine in area with less than 6 inch snowfall.
I agree. It's not really the big deal that many of you are making it out to be. I daily drive my XF in the winter here in Wisconsin with a set of Blizzack LM-32's. It does absolutely fantastic. In fact, I feel better with it in snowy/icey conditions than my Land Rover with all seasons. It's not a f type but its got about the same ground clearance, 500hp, rear wheel drive and 20 inch wheels.

The power the F type makes doesn't really matter. Yeh it makes 550 hp.....at 6500 rpm though! Not where you'll be revving in the snow. With these tires, snow mode and a smart right foot it was a dream to drive this winter and fun too. Nicest part is that I still got to enjoy the car instead of stashing it away for most of the year like I do with my classics.

So I say go for it. Put those tires on it, set snow mode and have fun. Why drive something boring in the winter(the longest season of the year btw) if you don't have to?!

wanesso (04-06-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
The power the F type makes doesn't really matter. Yeh it makes 550 hp.....at 6500 rpm though! Not where you'll be revving in the snow. With these tires, snow mode and a smart right foot it was a dream to drive this winter and fun too. Nicest part is that I still got to enjoy the car instead of stashing it away for most of the year like I do with my classics.
Horsepower doesn't make the tires spin. Torque does, and peak torque is right where you're "revving". However i do agree with you that proper throttle modulation will make driving in the snow fine with proper winter tires.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

^ what this guy said.

There are the oddest threads here...a multi page thread about "OMG, what if there is 6oz of 87oct gas in the line" to justifying driving an awd R in the snow, not just the Winter, but snow.

Can you? Sure, wtf - throw some snow tires on, roll the dice and see how the ground clearance works in Upstate NY. You have a decent stable of cars, can afford 100k+ ride but you're *really* looking for advice here?

Literally use ANY of your other cars for the Winter or at least when it snows.

DFW (04-02-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Horsepower doesn't make the tires spin. Torque does, and peak torque is right where you're "revving". However i do agree with you that proper throttle modulation will make driving in the snow fine with proper winter tires.
Splitting hairs a bit there. Peak torque is at 3500rpms. No need to spin the engine that high in snow to accelerate nor while cruising even at highway speeds. Plus, the reality is that if the traction isn't there, the rpm's won't be either so it's a moot point. You can pin the throttle to the floor and the ECU will absolutely ignore you lol.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using my 16' f type R as a daily in the winter, i had Michelin alpin's put on it the day i bought it. It handles great in the snow and it's a ton of fun. I'm actually really impressed with their awd system, i previously had a 997.1TT that was just as good in the snow. Drive the cat, that's what it was meant for hence the AWD in the 16 and above R's.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Not sure where you live in upstate New York. People that live in New York City consider White Plains upstate. My dealer who is in Western New York has sold many f types that are driven in winter. I would except that in conditions where you don't have deep snow, or serious ice you could drive the car in winter as many do with decent snow tires. The width of the rear tires is more of a problem. I used 235mm tires on all four corners on my staggered oem XF SC rims with Nokia Hakka Rs. I did have issues on ice, slush on some steep hills. With the awd, I would except ftype to be better. My wife, children, and coworkers (and others) have said no winter driving for my car. Some don't think it should be driven in the rain.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Some don't think it should be driven in the rain.
Ridiculous. With the Michelin PSSs, even my RWD V6S is perhaps one of the most sure footed vehicles I've had in the rain.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-02-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my new '16 R as my DD also and can't wait to drive it in snow next winter (and I hate Chicago winters!). I don't know why people are so afraid these cars will implode or something if driven in bad weather. It's so ridiculous. In Europe, people drive their RWD cars everywhere, in all weather conditions (and AWD cars are not common over there). Heck, I've seen Ferarri FF's and even the new GTC 4 Lusso driven in pretty good amount of snow. (Another reason why European drivers look down us American drivers. lol)

Last edited by psb1013; 04-02-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With the Michelin PSSs.
PSS are one of the best performance tires for wet driving.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts
Wink

The PZeros are also quite competent in the rain on pavement temps above ~50ºF. However, since it's foolhardy to push any car hard on public roads in the rain, I haven't explored the outer limits.

I'll also more than likely switch to the PSS soon, so can't comment on whether they are significantly better.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ridiculous. With the Michelin PSSs, even my RWD V6S is perhaps one of the most sure footed vehicles I've had in the rain.
I think it's more about babying the car then the handling in the rain. OCD runs deep in many car circles. My doctor was shocked that I had driven my new f type in the rain. Apparently his 911 GT4 doesn't see the wet, but his bad weather car is a Macan turbo.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I think it's more about babying the car then the handling in the rain. OCD runs deep in many car circles. My doctor was shocked that I had driven my new f type in the rain. Apparently his 911 GT4 doesn't see the wet, but his bad weather car is a Macan turbo.
my best racing was always in the rain. It minimizes the advantages of a superior car and maximizes the advantage of a skilled driver.