F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get an F Type? Trying to decide on what to get!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get an F Type? Trying to decide on what to get!

Hi there everyone. I love car forums. It's the best way to get real information so I hope you all can help me out. I am looking for a new car and want to spend around 80k for a car. I have always owned German cars and currently drive an Audi S5 (modded with a tune, coil overs and exhaust) and a stage 3 Audi s4 that is a beast and makes about 450 hp.

The cars on my list of potentials include Audi S7 that I can mod to almost 600 HP really easily, 2009ish 911 Turbo, new Porsche Cayman or Jaguar F Type.

I'm 34 so what I want in a car is for it to look sweet and be fast and powerful. The s7 is beautiful to me (I love hatches), but it's more old man car, but so easy to tune and mod. 911 turbos are beasts and super fast, but then I'd have to spend a lot on a car with little warranty and older technology (media-wise). New Porsche Cayman would cost less, but not as fast. I told myself that whatever cars I get needs to be close to 400 HP.

1. I have never owned a Jaguar and all I know about Jaguars is that they used to be unreliable. Are newer Jaguars much more reliable? Is this now not a valid concern?

2. I read the post somewhere here about ECU tuning of these supercharged engines and how they revert. Are there tunes for this engine and can they be tuned where the dealer doesn't know? Do dealers void your warranties with ECU tune?

3. I'd love the type R version, but realistically, I am not going to spend that much and either get base or the Type s. They are the same engine and it must simply be an ECU tune to get the additional HP? Is there a tune to bring the base up to the Type s power?

4. Is the Type S significantly better driving, feeling, etc vs the base? (I have not test driven car and will go soon).

5. What are must have options?

6. The suspension is listed as adaptive dynamics. Can this car be lowered with new coil overs? Will it affect the adaptive dynamics?

Thanks a lot for any information!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Wonder through the forum

If you look through the threads you can find most of the answers you need and you'll get them in context.

But yes you can lower the car there is a group working on lowering springs and you can find their progress if you look. Car looks nice lowered and no issues with the suspension have been noted.

Jaguars were unreliable prior to Ford buying the company in the 1990s. Now Tata owns the company and manufacturing is largely done by folks who used to work at Mercedes Benz. Very reliable now.

ECU tunes are risky if you don't know what you are doing. Reviews have been mixed as you have noted.

The 6S has a bundle of features as well as a different tune. Same engine. You may find the bundle is a better deal. Most of the standard features in the S are recommended.

You need to drive the cars yourself, taste is very different. The coup and convertible are very different as are the engine choices. Take your time and find the configuration that sings for you.

For me the vision pack, sport seats, active exhaust, and dynamic suspension were must haves as was the V8. That sound is incredible.

Good luck, but do drive all of the cars before making up your mind.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

I love the f-type but I don't really see it as a tuning car. If you want to tune your car then something like an Audi/Porsche/BMW is a better choice. More options, more availability, more expertise. Things will be more limited (and probably more expensive) for the f-type just because of supply/demand. Also relative newness of the model. Good luck with the decision.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM

^ I agree. I don't see an F type as a tuners cars. The R's are super expensive, too expensive to start messing about with.

Something turbo'ed would probably be best for tuning.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will go test out this car Friday. Signed up for NA jaguar club for the rebate just in case.

If new business that I am launching takes off, happy Christmas or earlier for me.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Does anyone sell Euro Spec lights for this car w/o the amber? How much do they cost? (I usually buy Euro spec lights for my cars b/c the amber is so ugly!)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't get an F-Type if I were you. If I were you I would get a sensible practical and useful car. This is neither of those things. It doesn't even have any trunk space (I'm not kidding you can't fit two grocery bags in there).

Your question is sort of like asking, should I try cocaine? The answer is no. But you know.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Oh I don't care about the practicality. I have a second car and will always have a second car. Next time I move, I will have a 3 or 4 car garage and fill that garage up with cars even if I live alone.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the updates OP, did you end up trying the cars? What have you decided?