F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be nervous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I be nervous?

Looking at trading my 2018 R for a 2017 SVR. I have to add about $14K to do so but the miles drop from about 19K to 12K. Most of the service life was at the JLR dealer where I live but the original owner moved 500 miles away last year and I need to travel to inspect the vehicle at a non JLR dealer. When I checked the Carfax it surprisingly had a lot of info. See attached. I nearly fell off my chair. The odd part is at 3K miles the front and rear brake pads were replaced at 7 months after the in service date. The dealer selling it said it was because the owner wanted vented/slotted rotors and they are indeed on the vehicle. at 11K miles the Cat was replaced. I will get it checked by a dealer thoroughly before I close the deal. Any thoughts? Who goes to a dealer that much?
The JLR dealer where most of the service took place said the original owner was a collector of Jags and other high end vehicles and even when I showed the carfax report they said nothing I should be nervous about and all is ok. My 18 is literally in perfect condition, not a blemish and has 4 years of JLR warranty left. Am I nuts to make the switch?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag[28761].pdf (426.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-02-2022, 01:44 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMar
Looking at trading my 2018 R for a 2017 SVR. I have to add about $14K to do so but the miles drop from about 19K to 12K. Most of the service life was at the JLR dealer where I live but the original owner moved 500 miles away last year and I need to travel to inspect the vehicle at a non JLR dealer. When I checked the Carfax it surprisingly had a lot of info. See attached. I nearly fell off my chair. The odd part is at 3K miles the front and rear brake pads were replaced at 7 months after the in service date. The dealer selling it said it was because the owner wanted vented/slotted rotors and they are indeed on the vehicle. at 11K miles the Cat was replaced. I will get it checked by a dealer thoroughly before I close the deal. Any thoughts? Who goes to a dealer that much?
The JLR dealer where most of the service took place said the original owner was a collector of Jags and other high end vehicles and even when I showed the carfax report they said nothing I should be nervous about and all is ok. My 18 is literally in perfect condition, not a blemish and has 4 years of JLR warranty left. Am I nuts to make the switch?
With all due respect, yes, you might be nuts. You are paying a huge sum for a car a “collector” took a loss on after 12k miles that gives you 5% more performance. If you had the 3.0 I would still recommend getting a pulley and a tune instead, but it don’t think this sort of move makes any sense when you have a supercharged V8 that has no issues and still has years of warranty. I doubt anyone outside of another F Type owner who gets close enough to see the SVR badge would even notice it.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:53 AM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Whoa , it’s back at the dealer every month ??? And a car collector and jag lover has gotten rid of it. Alarm bells going off for sure

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Not sure about this particular vehicle but I sold my 16R for a fully optioned low mileage18 SVR. The performance difference in driving feel is significant in my opinion. Not on the power side, but the handling. The car feels more nimble. It is lighter by a couple hundred pounds. I had light weight forged wheels on my R that made a difference, and my comparison includes that upgrade. You can lighten the R with some swap outs, but you may spend the 14k. My wheels were 4k pre-covid. My SVR has the carbon package, wheels, roof, etc. Even non-car people notice the difference. I wouldn't go back, although the clean looking R with no spoiler has its appeal. It all depends on what you are looking for and like. I wasn't sold either till I saw another SVR in person with carbon brakes in a color combo similar to my R. The titanium exhaust has a higher pitch sound and I think is a tossup as to which I liked better. I do miss my panoramic roof, flat bottom steering wheel and thicker seats, although the '18 has more leg room which is nice. I do like all the exterior carbon, including the roof. If I was to buy an SVR without ceramic brakes I would swap out the wheels to further separate from an R. Hence I bought a loaded SVR. Not much to change except the blasted speakers (I changed those on my R too). Good luck.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:31 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

My gut feeling is "don't do it," but if you still want an SVR, look for another.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ordered a blk leaper to match my paint color and the sent me a svr front badge , put over my r badge can't believe the power increase cost under $10.00 and a little two way tape

The following 2 users liked this post by santacruz11:
Carbuff2 (09-05-2022), RobMar (09-10-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruz11
ordered a blk leaper to match my paint color and the sent me a svr front badge , put over my r badge can't believe the power increase cost under $10.00 and a little two way tape
Why would you put an SVR badge on your Type-R? Those that don't know haven't a clue what an SVR is. Those of us that do know know what it says about you.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:17 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Why would you put an SVR badge on your Type-R? Those that don't know haven't a clue what an SVR is. Those of us that do know know what it says about you.
I took his comment to be tongue in cheek.

RobMar (09-10-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 01:25 PM
Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Really? My take is that he put "over his R badge". Which brings to mind Doug"s view on fake car badges......

Old 09-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
I took his comment to be tongue in cheek.
If you search his posts here, he's sort of cryptic, and even a bit trollish.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:42 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
If you search his posts here, he's sort of cryptic, and even a bit trollish.
I'd use the word "ironic".

Old 09-05-2022, 07:41 PM

goorge baby u are over thinking,

Old 09-05-2022, 07:42 PM

sorry that's george baby !!

Old 09-06-2022, 05:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Not sure about this particular vehicle but I sold my 16R for a fully optioned low mileage18 SVR. The performance difference in driving feel is significant in my opinion. Not on the power side, but the handling. The car feels more nimble. It is lighter by a couple hundred pounds. I had light weight forged wheels on my R that made a difference, and my comparison includes that upgrade. You can lighten the R with some swap outs, but you may spend the 14k. My wheels were 4k pre-covid. My SVR has the carbon package, wheels, roof, etc. Even non-car people notice the difference. I wouldn't go back, although the clean looking R with no spoiler has its appeal. It all depends on what you are looking for and like. I wasn't sold either till I saw another SVR in person with carbon brakes in a color combo similar to my R. The titanium exhaust has a higher pitch sound and I think is a tossup as to which I liked better. I do miss my panoramic roof, flat bottom steering wheel and thicker seats, although the '18 has more leg room which is nice. I do like all the exterior carbon, including the roof. If I was to buy an SVR without ceramic brakes I would swap out the wheels to further separate from an R. Hence I bought a loaded SVR. Not much to change except the blasted speakers (I changed those on my R too). Good luck.
Definitely keep the car you have.

It’s strange that people play loud music in a car with the best exhaust. I wonder if lambos and Ferraris have that problem .

RobMar (09-10-2022)