F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sides get so dirty--any solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 12:55 PM
|
Default Sides get so dirty--any solutions?

Just finished washing the car and wow, do the sides of the car get filthy from any road grime, dirt, etc! On my Polaris White it's a never-ending fight.

I think everyone has an issue with this and some have used Xpel to protect the paint on the sides and in front of the rear fender.

I'm wondering if there are any other solutions. On the rear fenders, our F-Types have a plastic fender extension / lip (I suppose it's sort of a mud guard) around the lower perimeter of the fender.

Has anyone tried something like the rear fender lip on the front fenders? I'm thinking something like the rears wouldn't ruin the lines of the car, but maybe it will?

Old 08-16-2015 | 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

There's not any thing you can do that will help with fine dust sticking to the car on the sides. Given the aerodynamics of the car, even the rear has a fine film of dust on it after a short drive.

I also have Polaris, and for just dust and fine rubber particles, I hose it down and blow dry it between washes.

Old 08-16-2015 | 01:13 PM
|

Yeah, I hear ya. But on my AWD model, the side sills (!) are crazy big and collect a huge amount of grime. After a drive in the rain, the sills are completely covered in dirt. Guess I may have to just deal with it.

I don't want to resort to using splash guards for the XF or XJ.

Old 08-16-2015 | 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Yeah, I hear ya. But on my AWD model, the side sills (!) are crazy big and collect a huge amount of grime. After a drive in the rain, the sills are completely covered in dirt. Guess I may have to just deal with it.

I don't want to resort to using splash guards for the XF or XJ.
Lose the side sills. I'll look better. Or you could paint them matte black and make them disappear.

I'm very glad I don't have them.

Old 08-16-2015 | 04:32 PM

You could try this

Or this

Old 08-16-2015 | 07:37 PM
|

Those flip flops are sweet! Gonna try it now.

Old 08-16-2015 | 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

you can get carbon ceramic brakes to reduce brake dust :-)
I carry around a waterless wash and wax...just spray and wipe, easy.

Old 08-16-2015 | 10:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by shift
Yeah, I've been using Meguiar's waterless wash and wax. It's great stuff! I guess I'll have to use it a lot more often than I thought I'd need to.

Old 08-17-2015 | 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by shift
+1

Old 08-17-2015 | 05:21 AM

I was planning to post about this, glad I'm not the only one. Also Polaris, also 2016 with the body coloured side sills. The issue when it rains is the water drops roll down the windows and side panels and then get scooped up by the large protruding side sills. Water accumulates there and when it dries you are left with nothing but nasty black water stains. The sills get 50x dirtier than other painted areas.

Might have to consider wrapping or painting them black. 2015 Side skirts and front winglets wrapped.

Old 08-17-2015 | 05:44 AM

I live in Toronto and was so looking forward to the AWD model. However those ugly side sills, even uglier for MY2016, caused me to switch to RWD. IMHO.

Old 08-17-2015 | 05:46 AM

Went down to garage and took a picture. Viewer discretion strongly advised.

Attached Thumbnails Sides get so dirty--any solutions?-004.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
McGriddle (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015 | 08:20 AM
|

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Went down to garage and took a picture. Viewer discretion strongly advised.
Exactly! Mine look like that after EVERY damn time it rains.

Old 08-17-2015 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DuhCar
I live in Toronto and was so looking forward to the AWD model. However those ugly side sills, even uglier for MY2016, caused me to switch to RWD. IMHO.

Why not just buy the AWD model you really want, and have the dealer or body shop remove the side-sills?. Agreed the car look so much better without them.

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Why not just buy the AWD model you really want, and have the dealer or body shop remove the side-sills?. Agreed the car look so much better without them.
I'm very surprised no one has done this yet, since it's just a matter of removing fasteners. The tapered lower waistline is one of the most striking features of the body design, and the body-colored, '16 "uber" sills destroy that line.

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Well, there was also the extra front end weight, firmer suspension and the extra dollars too. I didn't expect the delta cost to be $6K+ either. And didn't like paying for something that I didn't want at all.

Everything added up to a change of mind. I've been driving RWD sports cars with snows for almost 30 years so the AWD would be nice, but not a biggie.

Old 08-17-2015 | 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm very surprised no one has done this yet, since it's just a matter of removing fasteners. The tapered lower waistline is one of the most striking features of the body design, and the body-colored, '16 "uber" sills destroy that line.
I don't think that has been proven. I believe TXJagR said when he got under there he couldn't find any bolts or fasteners. I'm sure they can be removed, but how easy or not easy is still up for debate.

Old 08-17-2015 | 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
I don't think that has been proven. I believe TXJagR said when he got under there he couldn't find any bolts or fasteners. I'm sure they can be removed, but how easy or not easy is still up for debate.
It has been documented, and there is no debate. They are attached with fasteners. Stohlen had one '16 sill removed and replaced for the slimmer, more subtle 15 when his car was delivered with one 15 and one 16 sill There's a tech drawing of the part numbers showing the fastener location somewhere on this site.

I seem to recall you have to remove the below door side panel to get to the fasteners. A dealer could do for 1-2 hours labor charge, and there would be no sign they were ever there.

Old 08-17-2015 | 12:51 PM
|

I don't know about Goldorak, but I really like the AWD side skirts... at least when they're clean.

Old 08-17-2015 | 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I seem to recall you have to remove the below door side panel to get to the fasteners. A dealer could do for 1-2 hours labor charge, and there would be no sign they were ever there.
Exactly my point. Easy in my book doesn't equal having the dealer do it because nobody can figure out how to do it themselves.

I've seen the schematic. It's not exactly an instruction sheet.

Quick Reply: Sides get so dirty--any solutions?