F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Question #1 - Dynamic vs Snow Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Silly Question #1 - Dynamic vs Snow Mode

I've read prior posts discussing the differences between the three driving mode. I particularly liked one comment that "Snow/Rain Mode was like driving a Camry"

So, last night, we had a dusting of a couple inches. So, in traveling down my mountain, I used the "Snow/Rain Mode"...but I felt I didn't have the same steering control as with the "Dynamic Mode" - particularly with the thin sheen of moisture remaining on the roads. In general, unless I'm on the expressway, I drive with the transmission in Sport Mode using the manual shifter rather than paddles since, with the turns on my mountain roads, the paddle shifters are often at "12 and 6" rather than "10 and 2" where my hands are...

So, here's the question:

Can't I accomplish the best of both worlds by simply using the Dynamic Mode and the Sport Mode shifter (or paddles)...that way, I have better control of the acceleration while maintaining tighter steering dynamics?

The real question is - is there a real difference or am I simply perceiving one that's really not there?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

If I had my F out in the snow, I would use snow mode, stay out of sport mode and use the paddle shifters. You may have to enable the paddle shifters in normal mode using the steering wheel menu key.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

As someone else put it here recently, some people use the throttle pedal much like an "on-off switch." Snow/rain mode is there for those people.

It doesn't matter what mode you use if you are able to properly control your right foot. However, there is no question that in wet or slippery conditions, you must be much more careful with your inputs in Dynamic mode because of the aggressive throttle mapping.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think the ability to control your throttle input and snow/rain mode use are mutually exclusive. When I need to be extra careful I put on snow/rain mode as an extra safeguard against mistakes. I have no problem generally controlling my throttle input, but with the amount of power in our cars I'd rather one mistake not throw me into a spin.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

This really has nothing to do with the throttle being an on/off switch. It has to do with safety. Making the throttle really lazy makes low traction events/surfaces easier and safer to manage while still providing power when you press farther.

BTW, my bike has rain mode too. Makes the throttle really lazy and cuts the power by 25%. It's a god-send if you get caught in the rain. Really keeps the back tire under control.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I don't think the ability to control your throttle input and snow/rain mode use are mutually exclusive. When I need to be extra careful I put on snow/rain mode as an extra safeguard against mistakes. I have no problem generally controlling my throttle input, but with the amount of power in our cars I'd rather one mistake not throw me into a spin.
The snow mode changes the throttle mapping. With snow mode turned on, a lot more throttle input is needed for the same power output. However, full power is still available with throttle pushed to the floor.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
This really has nothing to do with the throttle being an on/off switch. It has to do with safety. Making the throttle really lazy makes low traction events/surfaces easier and safer to manage while still providing power when you press farther.

BTW, my bike has rain mode too. Makes the throttle really lazy and cuts the power by 25%. It's a god-send if you get caught in the rain. Really keeps the back tire under control.
I believe that's exactly what I said, just in a different, rather cryptic way. Referring to the throttle as an "On-off" switch was an exaggerated metaphor to illustrate the point that a lot of people just "mash and go" without careful modulation.

If I am very careful, I can drive exactly the same way in Dynamic mode. However, I agree it's not sensible and far safer to use snow/rain mode with it's very conservative throttle mapping in slippery conditions. I do the same thing.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-23-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Default What about steering

Ok, but does dynamic do anything to steering/suspension?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lookout!
Ok, but does dynamic do anything to steering/suspension?
Not in a base car.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Mine's an S, so yes?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I know that on the "R", the Rain / Snow mode also changes the shift points. The auto trans will be shifting before 2k RPM and you'll be in 5th gear before 40 mph...

Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Dynamic mode makes the throttle mapping more aggressive, shifts gears more quickly, and increases steering weighting in all models. Similarly, snow/rain mode retards the mapping in all models.

I wasn't aware that the steering weighting changed in a base car, and maybe it didn't in 2014 models. I haven't noticed a difference.

On S and R models Dynamic mode stiffens the suspension per the JLR website:

DYNAMIC MODE
Dynamic Mode4 remaps the car's software to sharpen throttle response, increase steering weighting, perform gear shifts more quickly at higher engine speeds, and, on S and R models, to stiffen the suspension.4 The sportier performance is visually emphasized as the instrument cluster and lighting for the door handles and central grab handle change to red.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-23-2016 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lookout! (01-26-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Not quite on topic, but I hate aggressive throttle mapping. It's wrong and it's a lie to make people feel that there is more power than there really is. Maybe with the computer controlling the throttle and transmission it's not so egregious, but with a manual transmission, aggressive throttle mapping (sport mode) is actually worse. It makes it necessary to lift off much more on a shift, and makes fine control more difficult.

Lookout! (01-26-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
.... but with a manual transmission, aggressive throttle mapping (sport mode) is actually worse. It makes it necessary to lift off much more on a shift, and makes fine control more difficult.
+1. I have customized my dynamic mode to deselect the dynamic throttle mapping. Steering and suspension are now the only things that change in dynamic mode.

Lookout! (01-26-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I have customized my dynamic mode to deselect the dynamic throttle mapping. Steering and suspension are now the only things that change in dynamic mode.
Me too! "Dynamic" throttle mapping makes it more responsive where fine control is desired and less responsive where it is not.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Steering and suspension are now the only things that change in dynamic mode.
Ohh...how could I forget: and the sound level.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

After a very close call which ended in me facing the wrong way with only moderate throttle input in the wet, I now always use snow/rain mode when it is wet.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use winter mode often enough and it does quite a bit more than other cars:
- Adjusts throttle response as everyone has said
- Adjusts where upshifts occur (shifting earlier as said)
- Adjusts downshifts to occur as late as possible (downshifting into high revs in snow is one of the worst things you can do in snow/rain)
- When you release the gas pedal the engine will go to idle/coast as oppose to hanging onto the gear
- The locking differential activates differently, it tends to hold the lock longer for much greater traction
- The traction control system acts differently, it allows a bit more slipping before the TC activates to allow you to slip the wheels a bit on snow. Otherwise in normal mode the TC comes on too quickly and impedes forwards progress on hills.
- Disables eco mode

Worthwhile using even if you "know how to drive" it simply works better.

Lookout! (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 04:46 AM

Now there's an idea!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

On AWD models, Rain/Snow mode also affects the AWD system, delivering more torque (50/50 if I recall correctly) to the front wheels at all times.