F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver or Gray? Can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Silver or Gray? Can't decide.

I'm currently looking for my F type. Always been partial to silver hues and am focusing on the ammonite gray and/or rhodium silver with chrome wheels. Only a few F types here in the general KC area to go and look at in person, and those are black, BRG, white, and red.
So, my search is pretty much online and looking at the ad pictures which are very inconsistent due to lighting and picture quality. I know I'll be traveling to purchase so I need to be 100% sure of the color choice before committing.
Mostly considering the rhodium silver, however, some pictures I see (and there are more of this color available to choose from) have me leaning towards the ammonite gray. Also, forgive me, but I'm also very much a fan of the color of the AM DB10 in Specter and trying to figure out if the gray or silver F type is closer to that 'skyfall/spectre silver' which seems to be a bit in between.
I know asking for opinions on color choice is very subjective but I'd be grateful if those with silver or gray F types could share their opinions on why you chose that color. Which one, in real life, shows off the lines better?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Facing a similar dilemma: looking for a used F-Type in grey or silver in Australia, but only finding White, Black, White, more White....

Have you visited nearby Jaguar dealers and checked out your preferred colors on other Jag models? Not exactly the same as seeing an F-Type in the flesh, but you get a fairly good idea.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Frank, my16 f type s STORM GREY WITH BROGUE INTERIOR IVORY STITCHING. Beautiful special order color, think about it. It truly shows off the contours of the f type.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

They all look great but to my mind the rhodium would be what I would take if I had the choice, if just shows off the curves amazingly well, doesnt show dust, stays pretty cool and has more of a contrast with the black pack. But I am a little biased as I had a liquid silver XKR which I thought was a lovely colour, and the only two colours I wanted in the F Type were rhodium or IRR. But they all look great, the darker ones look especially good on the road with their lights on.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone
Frank, my16 f type s STORM GREY WITH BROGUE INTERIOR IVORY STITCHING. Beautiful special order color, think about it. It truly shows off the contours of the f type.
Can you post a pic of your storm grey? Would love to see it!

Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Can you post a pic of your storm grey? Would love to see it!
50 shades of grey on the F-Type!
From the dark Storm grey (almost black) to the bright Rhodium silver, and in between shades including Lunar Grey and Ammonite and a few others whose names I forget.
Every year it seems that JLR discontinue one shade and replace it with another very slightly different shade.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had difficulty choosing a lighter gray or darker gray. I ended up with Storm Gray + Black Pack because this CPO was a good deal. Current problem is, I have no idea what rims would look good with Storm Gray because it's not exactly black or gray. But I'll tell you under fluorescent light it looks almost purple, which is kind of cool.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

The good news is, they look great in any color. This makes your choice a pleasant experience as there is no "buyer's remorse". With that said, my first F Type 2015 S was IRR with black interior. The car was stunning and received numerous compliments. My current F Type 2017 R AWD is ammonite grey with red interior and much to my surprise, enjoys even more compliments. In summary, you can drive off the lot with virtually any color combination and not have to lament the decision!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Very nice! One of my top 3 favorite wheel choices as well!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I ordered my 2015 (one of the last 2015s, delivered February 20, 2016) in Rhodium Silver with Cirrus White seating -- very similar to the F-Type auto-show car when the coupe was introduced.
The CX-16 prototype was shown in dark silver / grey and I think it's true to Ian Callum's original design.
I did tour the factory in Birmingham after I ordered mine and fell in love with the dark metallic green with a tan interior: almost changed my order. If I got a convertible as a 2nd car I'd go for Firesand.

This is the CX-16 prototype for the F-Type Coupe, it made it into production with very few changes.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
The good news is, they look great in any color. This makes your choice a pleasant experience as there is no "buyer's remorse". With that said, my first F Type 2015 S was IRR with black interior. The car was stunning and received numerous compliments. My current F Type 2017 R AWD is ammonite grey with red interior and much to my surprise, enjoys even more compliments. In summary, you can drive off the lot with virtually any color combination and not have to lament the decision!
I agree 100%. The F type is beautiful in all shades. I just prefer the more subtle elegance of a silver hue that perhaps gains attention with a second look vs. some of the brighter colors that just scream "look at me!". The reds are absolutely amazing, just not my style. I also like the black, but current car is black and its a lot of work to keep clean and I'm ready for a change.

The following users liked this post:
J444G (12-07-2020)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Rhodium Silver was my other choice when I was ordering. I had a hard time deciding. If you are looking for something unique, I don't think there is a Rhodium Silver F-Type in the area. A few Polaris White ones, grey and a mix of reds in the are.

My 2 cents, when buying used, figure out what are the things/options that you must have and then rank them in order of importance. As you search online, you use your ranking to pick cars that you want to investigate/purchase. The reason for doing it this way is that it's highly unlikely to find a used car with every single one of your desires. It's possible, but not likely. With that, you have to know what is important to you to find what would be the best fit.

Also, many dealers you can negotiate free shipping with a 2-4 week no-questions-asked return policy (i.e. you don't necessarily have to travel for the sale).

Old 10-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Rhodium Silver was my other choice when I was ordering. I had a hard time deciding. If you are looking for something unique, I don't think there is a Rhodium Silver F-Type in the area. A few Polaris White ones, grey and a mix of reds in the are.

My 2 cents, when buying used, figure out what are the things/options that you must have and then rank them in order of importance. As you search online, you use your ranking to pick cars that you want to investigate/purchase. The reason for doing it this way is that it's highly unlikely to find a used car with every single one of your desires. It's possible, but not likely. With that, you have to know what is important to you to find what would be the best fit.

Also, many dealers you can negotiate free shipping with a 2-4 week no-questions-asked return policy (i.e. you don't necessarily have to travel for the sale).
Thank you for the advice!
Options desired and used for my daily search:
*'16 V6 model for budget reasons:
1. Silver or perhaps gray color
2. Adaptive exhaust
3. Performance seats
4. 10 spoke alloy/chrome/diamond cut wheels
5. dual climate control, homelink, meridian surround stereo
CPO and AWD would be wonderful, but puts it out of reach.
I've never purchased a car without a good thorough look at it and test drive. Trusting the dealership for an accurate description and having it shipped would be a leap for me, but might be a strong possibility if the distance is too great and its the exact car I'm looking for.

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 10-17-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Hi Frank here, my 16 f type s storm grey brogue interior ivory stitching,I posted photos of my car in the gallery section. How do you post photos directly to a thread?
sorry that it’s somewhat off topic but I would like to add photos to my comments when appropriate

Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by TR64ever
The CX-16 prototype was shown in dark silver / grey and I think it's true to Ian Callum's original design.

This is the CX-16 prototype for the F-Type Coupe, it made it into production with very few changes.
That's the color I'd pick! The '16 Rhodium silver is a bit lighter and dare I say a bit washed out in comparison. I really like all the sliver hue options in the current '19/ '20 models.

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 10-17-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
I've never purchased a car without a good thorough look at it and test drive. Trusting the dealership for an accurate description and having it shipped would be a leap for me, but might be a strong possibility if the distance is too great and its the exact car I'm looking for.
Most dealers will also provide you additional specific photos if you request them. The online photos will always be the photos which won't show any concerning areas, but every one I've worked with has offered to take specific photos of whatever I wanted to confirm (or do a video walk through of anything I requested). It's always good to see something in person, but just don't let distance be a limiting factor in your search. Technology can overcome distance in some situations.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Ammonite

which sparkles in the sun

The following 2 users liked this post by malbec:
FType4Me (04-10-2020), Linzee222 (08-26-2021)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 AM

My16 f type s storm grey

My16 f type s storm grey

My16 f type s storm grey

My16 f type s storm grey
Frank photos of my my16 f type s storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching. I love this combination, but agree with other comments, you cannot go wrong with any color,combinations

Linzee222 (08-26-2021)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

IRR is the people’s choice.Every year we go up to the British car gathering in Pennsylvania with a group of F types, all as perfect as the next, the IRR will always get the People’s vote.

J444G (12-07-2020)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
IRR is the people’s choice.Every year we go up to the British car gathering in Pennsylvania with a group of F types, all as perfect as the next, the IRR will always get the People’s vote.
Yes I couldn’t decide between Ammonite and IRR.
I went on a factory visit to see all the colours.
In the end I thought that I would get bored with the red so I went for the Grey.
I’m sometimes asked if it’s an Aston. Ammonite is similar to AM colour.
Not sure if should be insulted or pleased

Last edited by malbec; 10-17-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Linzee222 (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Silver or Gray? Can't decide.