F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple mods, fun mods, minor mods or updates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Window Tint

Just had the windows tinted @ 20%
It's dark, but not dark enough...but supposedly legal. Completely changes the look and eliminates peekers at traffic lights . Will post pics when it stops raining.

Puddle lights were easy and look good. Nice and bright.

To do list: interior lights and other ideas

Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to see if my husband would take mine to get the windows tinted while I'm visiting friends in Texas so it can cure - not being able to roll down the windows for a few days will drive me nuts so better to have it done while I'm out of town and won't be driving.

My puddle lights should be here soon and I'll get that done and am currently deciding what (if anything) I want to do with the badges (other than fixing my peeling S on the rear).

Next after that will probably be the interior lights, although the description of getting to the passenger side I've read makes me hesitate - I'm short but not a contortionist.

Oh, and after a mishap 2 days ago, I'm trying to figure out where to put my phone since I do sometimes use it for streaming. Stupid, but funny story. I was getting in my car and dropped my phone on top of the cup holder cover area. It landed hard enough to pop it open . . . . with my phone sitting on it. So my phone ended up between that piece and the console. After trying to get it out at every red light on my way home I thought I was eventually going to have to take the console apart (or take it to a dealer and let them deal with it), but finally got a pair of chopsticks (on from the top and one from the bottom and managed to get it out. So now I have a pair of chopsticks in the glovebox.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb

Oh, and after a mishap 2 days ago, ...
Never a dull moment. lol

Old 05-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Never a dull moment. lol
There's a reason everyone believes blonde is my natural color! Still, that was a new level even for me. And after that, I'm about to spend my weekend using a heat gun in my house that has 118 year old hardwood floors. What could go wrong?!

Old 05-04-2018, 10:14 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Good thing you have a fast car to escape the inferno.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Good point!

Well I had planned to do it in the garage, but the 7 vintage bikes out there all have leaking carbs so the gas fumes.... figure it's better to slowly burn the house than have the garage explode and probably still manage to set the house on fire! If I do either of those, assuming we survive, I think my husband is going to have a talk with my friends in Houston who put me up to this armor build in the first place.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to see if my husband would take mine to get the windows tinted while I'm visiting friends in Texas so it can cure - not being able to roll down the windows for a few days will drive me nuts so better to have it done while I'm out of town and won't be driving.

My puddle lights should be here soon and I'll get that done and am currently deciding what (if anything) I want to do with the badges (other than fixing my peeling S on the rear).

Next after that will probably be the interior lights, although the description of getting to the passenger side I've read makes me hesitate - I'm short but not a contortionist.

Oh, and after a mishap 2 days ago, I'm trying to figure out where to put my phone since I do sometimes use it for streaming. Stupid, but funny story. I was getting in my car and dropped my phone on top of the cup holder cover area. It landed hard enough to pop it open . . . . with my phone sitting on it. So my phone ended up between that piece and the console. After trying to get it out at every red light on my way home I thought I was eventually going to have to take the console apart (or take it to a dealer and let them deal with it), but finally got a pair of chopsticks (on from the top and one from the bottom and managed to get it out. So now I have a pair of chopsticks in the glovebox.
I think you may be happy with 20% window tint...cost bout 150 bucks. Don't roll windows down for 48 Hours and leave car in the sun to help dry.

Puddle Lights personally I like. Nice and bright compared to the amber stock ones stock with the car. By far the easiest light I have ever changed as OZ told me. No tools required. Pull the old out, unplug, plug in new, snap back in and done. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Laser-LE...72.m2749.l2649

Mishap with your phone....look at these, I think they are useful...no pocketbook required...lol https://www.newchic.com/car-storage-...36&sort=1&ht=1 many to choose from and colors depending what you need.

Chinese Man Pickpockets an iPhone By Using... Chopsticks - Kotaku

Apr 12, 2013 - And if that wasn't enough, the man used chopsticks to pickpocket from a woman riding a bicycle. And she apparently didn't even notice and continued pedaling!

Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Magical
Mishap with your phone....look at these, I think they are useful...no pocketbook required...lol https://www.newchic.com/car-storage-...36&sort=1&ht=1 many to choose from and colors depending what you need.

Chinese Man Pickpockets an iPhone By Using... Chopsticks - Kotaku

Apr 12, 2013 - And if that wasn't enough, the man used chopsticks to pickpocket from a woman riding a bicycle. And she apparently didn't even notice and continued pedaling!
For tinting, I'll go with whatever the darkest we can legally have around here. No idea what that is honestly, but even just a bit would be nice.

Puddle lights have been ordered and estimated arrival is anywhere from Monday through the middle of June. How's that for a delivery window?

Ok, I never thought I'd need a disclaimer, but I PROMISE I'm not planning to pickpocket using the chopsticks in my car. But that might be a good dexterity exercise.....

Old 05-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Well you've now discovered a new vocation

The following users liked this post:
PBBarb (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

There's a reason everyone believes blonde is my natural color! Still, that was a new level even for me. And after that, I'm about to spend my weekend using a heat gun in my house that has 118 year old hardwood floors. What could go wrong?!
Why would you use a heat gun on hardwood floors? Are they painted?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Why would you use a heat gun on hardwood floors? Are they painted?
Oh I won’t be using it on the floors, just me with a heat gun is a bit scary if you knew how accident prone I am. Dropping it, working on something while sitting on the floor and putting it down on old wood, etc. That’s assuming I don’t end up cutting myself badly with the xacto knife first. I mean I did end up in the ER needing 4 stitching in a finger after an incident with a potato peeler.

The heat gun is to form and and mold EVA foam.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

Are you making f type accessories?

Old 05-05-2018, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

I mentioned this when I started on the forum, but never 'popped the question' so to speak, as how it worked out...

Would like to hear your opinion on this : would like / like / neutral / not-my-taste / disgusting...

left : wood / no flash
center : wood / flash
right : factory item

Attached Thumbnails Simple mods, fun mods, minor mods or updates?-console.jpg  
Old 05-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

Personally not a fan of wood in an f type.

Dan_NL (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
I mentioned this when I started on the forum, but never 'popped the question' so to speak, as how it worked out...

Would like to hear your opinion on this : would like / like / neutral / not-my-taste / disgusting...

left : wood / no flash
center : wood / flash
right : factory item
I'm fairly certain I wouldn't opt for it, but if you are going for the executive/estate look, I think it looks good. However, if it's vinyl rather than real wood, the tactile experience needed to make it work won't be there.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

@Unhingd.

The wood was standard in all genuine british GT/roadsters of old.. Nothing to do with executive/estate look. They just used a material that they could work with and looked nice..
That it caught on and was degraded to flimsy shiny plastic nasties in chinese/japs whatever cars, doesn't change the heritage of the use of wood in car interiors..

In my car its not vinyl.. Its aluminum.. ..coated with a woodprint and a color, and an acrylic varnish, all hand finished and so : bespoke...

Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

@Unhingd.

The wood was standard in all genuine british GT/roadsters of old.. Nothing to do with executive/estate look.
Well aware of this. My Sunbeam Tiger had a beautiful (real) burl walnut dashboard. However, with as upscale as the F-Type is, the wood makes me think more of the interior of my dad's '78 XJ6C. What a beaut that was, both inside and out. The wood dash and center console was finished off with a Nardi wood wheel. (and to this day, the most comfortable/luxurious car I've ever been in)

Old 05-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Well aware of this. My Sunbeam Tiger had a beautiful (real) burl walnut dashboard. However, with as upscale as the F-Type is, the wood makes me think more of the interior of my dad's '78 XJ6C. What a beaut that was, both inside and out. The wood dash and center console was finished off with a Nardi wood wheel. (and to this day, the most comfortable/luxurious car I've ever been in)
For me my Landrover Discovery 3 is the most comfy car ever...

My love for wood is also '..off old..' . One of my earliest cars was a miny Metro 1.0L... .. I then frequented scrapyards for nice old cars to 'do-up' , but that never happened.
Did salvage the chrome and inside mirror from an old jag and made my own wooden dash.. I guess picture dates around 1982..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 05-05-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Unhingd (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

For me my Landrover Discovery 3 is the most comfy car ever...

My love for wood is also '..off old..' . One of my earliest cars was a miny Metro 1.0L... .. I then frequented scrapyards for nice old cars to 'do-up' , but that never happened.
Did salvage the chrome and inside mirror from an old jag and made my own wooden dash.. I guess picture dates around 1982..
Nicely done!

Dan_NL (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks ! I traded it in sometime later as I had to go to Sweden on a training period for two months [ Malmberget].. Metro would not cut it.. Turnes out later an English collegue of my dad bought it for his wife, they loved it..

So I asked some friends who went to Sweden for holidays every year and they warned me for gravel roads breaking your headlights and your back..

So I needed a soft ride and fitted this bull bar made from wire mesh and copper waterpipe..

To prevent the radiator from stone damage, I made wooden frame with chicken mesh, covered with mosquito mesh also . The swarms of mosquito's can be huge in arctic areas.. [1983].

Last edited by Dan_NL; 05-05-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Simple mods, fun mods, minor mods or updates?