F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017

One of my main complaints (other than the electronics and the body roll) for the F-Type R is the interior quality. It is fine for a $60k sports car, but not for a $110k sports car.

I think they should borrow some things from the Range Rover SVR parts bin to spruce things up.

First the seats - the RR seats have much more detailing and padding which makes it look like a more expensive seat befitting a 6 figure sports car. In addition if you look closely you will notice the leather is perforated which is because these seats have ventilation as well as heating.

Center console dials and trim. Our ones look too ruggedized like they are out of a Land Rover. The Range Rover AC dials have a nice solid chrome ring which is a small change but adds a touch of polish (we have a chrome ring too but it is smaller and doesn't cover the edges of the dial). In addition they have real carbon fiber trim. Also the shifter design is nicer with metal on the back side and a smoother more modern shape.

Metal plate around the center console switch gear (as opposed to that super cheap looking black plastic trim we have).

Finally, the digital gauge cluster. This thing could be awesome. Imagine if they had a large Rev counter in the middle in dynamic mode, with shift light indicators.
Look at the cluster in this video at 46 seconds, and look at the metal trim on the gear shifter at 56 seconds, and then the cluster again at 1:40sec. The animation of the gear indicator is really nice, and the polished metal shift paddles also look great.

I think that this is also partly why the 100k+ Range Rovers sell so well. They really polished the details.

By contrast our seats, trim, instrument panel all look totally cheapo for a !00k car.

The following 2 users liked this post by StealthPilot:
kamiar (11-16-2015), schraderade (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Seems like you have found your perfect car, no discounts by the way!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Hmm . . . funny how perceptions differ. I don't see much difference.

Since you focused on the console, my base car looks very similar w/ "real metal" around the console, HVAC chrome trim rings, and metal on the back of the shifter, which looks almost identical to your picture.

I think big cars seem more luxurious because of all the extra real estate swathed in leather, and such. I've looked at a lot of RRs and had one as a service loaner. I didn't notice any difference in quality of materials or overall interior quality. I thought the flush, plastic push buttons on the RR console looked cheaper than the F-Type toggles and push-pull switches.

I have found it ironic that the base car had (at least in 14) metal trim on the console and the more expensive models came standard w/ plastic.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-16-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Hmm . . . funny how perceptions differ. I don't see much difference.

Since you focused on the console, my base car looks very similar w/ "real metal" around the console, HVAC chrome trim rings, and metal on the back of the shifter, which looks almost identical to your picture.

I think big cars seem more luxurious because of all the extra real estate swathed in leather, and such. I've looked at a lot of RRs and had one as a service loaner. I didn't notice any difference in quality of materials or overall interior quality. I thought the flush, plastic push buttons on the RR console looked cheaper than the F-Type toggles and push-pull switches.

I have found it ironic that the base car had (at least in 14) metal trim on the console and the more expensive models came standard w/ plastic.
+1. I too think Foosh's console looks more upscale than that of the RR. I'm wondering if I could get the trim pieces from the base and put it in the S. It would match the surface that is above the display monitor and wouldn't show the finger prints like the piano black.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

+2 The Range Rover console looks similar, but with a wide blank area added on the side. I don't see what the OP is seeing. I honestly think the F-Type's console is nicer looking than what the OP showed.

Last edited by PolkNole; 11-16-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Even if the Jaguar engineers did see and value this thread, you likely wouldn't see any changes until 2019 model year as decisions have been long since made for 17 and likely 18 as well.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

To answer the OP's question - add more storage space! Good grief - I can't even put a pair of sunglasses anywhere in this thing!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
To answer the OP's question - add more storage space! Good grief - I can't even put a pair of sunglasses anywhere in this thing!
You beat me to it. My biggest gripe just might be that while there's an umbrella holder, there isn't a sunglasses holder.

As for the console: The black plastic on the shifter console picks up fingerprints too easily, and the buttons to the right of the shifter are obscured by the shifter (manual transmission).

Old 11-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

+1. Wish they would have kept the metal trim on 16 mt.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd perform unnatural acts just to get another couple inches of seat travel, and another inch of headroom.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

how much is the SVR? $50-60K more? not worth for just cosmetics ...

Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
I'd perform unnatural acts just to get another couple inches of seat travel, and another inch of headroom.
Odd. I'm only 6'1" but this is the first car I've ever owned where I felt the need to raise the seat. Still have plenty of headroom.

For comparison, the sunroof on previous cars has been responsible for styling my hair, and that was with the seat all the way down.

Quick check: to what extent do the rest of you have climb up to get out of the seat? It may be that the basic model goes quite a bit lower than the wingbacks.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have the sport seats, and have them quite low though I'm only 5' 10". I like the low seating position, though it doesn't help with visibility and getting out of the car gracefully.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Odd. I'm only 6'1" but this is the first car I've ever owned where I felt the need to raise the seat. Still have plenty of headroom.
+1. At 6'2", even with the wing-back, I have to raise the seat to get good visibility out of the car. I still have enough headroom (2-3") to comfortably wear a Barmah Drover hat.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

For comparison, the sunroof on previous cars has been responsible for styling my hair, and that was with the seat all the way down.

Quick check: to what extent do the rest of you have climb up to get out of the seat? It may be that the basic model goes quite a bit lower than the wingbacks.
I think it may be true that the std sport seats do go lower than the wingbacks. I'm 6'2" and also prefer my seat raised a bit from it's lowest position. Moreover, I don't have it all the way back. I'm also climbing up a little to get out of the car.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I think it may be true that the std sport seats do go lower than the wingbacks. I'm 6'2" and also prefer my seat raised a bit from it's lowest position. Moreover, I don't have it all the way back. I'm also climbing up a little to get out of the car.
I am 5'9" and I have no problems with the headroom, and I don't need it all the way back either.

What is more "special" is that I have always liked to have the seat all the way down in all cars I have driven (usually the first adjustment I make when entering a car for the first time). However this is the first car where I actually like to have the seat raised a little, and I still feel I have to climb up to get out of the car.

And I like that

Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
+1 At 6' 2" I might not need the room, but just make the seat stop squeaking if I move it all the way back.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

...wingbacks.

I love calling the performance seat 'wingbacks.'

Wonder if these would fit in my car...

Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Was that color a Europe only option?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm just over 6'2" and my head rubs if I don't slouch. Wearing a helmet at a track event is quite annoying as it is firmly against the ceiling. My height is mostly in my torso vs my legs so yeah, I would love if the seats could go down another inch or so.

Quick Reply: Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017