F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

It seems enough people are bothered by height and material quality to justify some changes. I suggest moving on from this very dead horse...
... to another dead horse! They should make it possible to disable auto start/stop and set the active exhaustas default settings.
Seriously though, the more configurability, the better.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
It seems enough people are bothered by height and material quality to justify some changes. I suggest moving on from this very dead horse...
... to another dead horse! They should make it possible to disable auto start/stop and set the active exhaustas default settings.
Auto start/stop is here to stay, and I don't see the option to set it off by default as even remotely likely. Active exhaust should be one of the configurable dynamic options though, at the very least.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Are you serious? If you can't handle these issues, perhaps a Tesla is the car for you.

If the on-off button is too much of an effort for you, there are scores and scores of posts here on how to permanently disable eco-mode for both 2-battery ('14-'15 MY) and 1-battery ('16 MY) cars. If you know how to use the search function, read English, and are capable of screwing in light bulbs, you can handle it.

I'm not sure what you mean with regard "active exhaust default settings." Do you mean you want it to start "quiet?"

Old 11-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Some additional suggestions:

1. Climate control should remember the 'recirculate' setting when car starts up so drivers don't have to keep hitting it in polluted cities.

2. The function buttons around the center console screen are inconsistently labeled (some icons, some text). This is sloppy design and bad UX. Just use text labels.

3. Plastic pins holding the coupe luggage compartment lid (the large felt interior lid) are horribly designed and snap off easily. A load-bearing pin should be made of metal, period.

4. Get rid of the ridiculous autoplay function for bluetooth phones. Every time I connect my (android) phone it starts playing random music when I start up the car.

5. Cars should remember eco start/stop setting and keep that setting when car starts up.

6. The sunshades are far too small. Make them larger and allow them to pivot to the side windows. Like it or not, these cars get driven at sunset/sunrise commute hours where sun glare is a problem.

7. (USA) Give us a locking gas cap!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
Some additional suggestions:

1. Climate control should remember the 'recirculate' setting when car starts up so drivers don't have to keep hitting it in polluted cities.

2. The function buttons around the center console screen are inconsistently labeled (some icons, some text). This is sloppy design and bad UX. Just use text labels.

3. Plastic pins holding the coupe luggage compartment lid (the large felt interior lid) are horribly designed and snap off easily. A load-bearing pin should be made of metal, period.

4. Get rid of the ridiculous autoplay function for bluetooth phones. Every time I connect my (android) phone it starts playing random music when I start up the car.

5. Cars should remember eco start/stop setting and keep that setting when car starts up.

6. The sunshades are far too small. Make them larger and allow them to pivot to the side windows. Like it or not, these cars get driven at sunset/sunrise commute hours where sun glare is a problem.

7. (USA) Give us a locking gas cap!!!
The problem with discussions like this is that you ask 100 people and you get 100 different preferences. If all the suggestions here were implemented, there would be even more complaints from people who don't like and don't want those things.

That's why manufacturers install simple buttons to turn things on or off, because that's the only reasonable compromise. I suppose all kinds of things could be programmed into a menu, but if that were acted upon, costs would be driven up even further, some wouldn't be legal, or sensible from an engineering standpoint, and there would be no reason to do so because most people aren't overly taxed by pressing on-off buttons.

Regulations also come into play on things like start-stop. If you want a high-powered gasoline engine these days, you can either bang your head against the wall or accept eco-mode. If you disable it yourself, the manufacturer has no control over that, and it's stupidly easy to do. Start-stop is here to stay, and right now, it's the only way cars like this can still be built and comply with CAFE regulations. By regulation, it must be the default mode and soon, there will be no on-off button.

My iPhone does not "autoplay" when connected via Bluetooth.

If the sunshades were any larger, I wouldn't be able to see out of the front windshield when down, and that would be a safety hazard. There's no way to have them pivot to the side window in the convertible because of the top structure, so now you're talking about having a different design for coupe and convertible.

I like fresh air as the default mode. If you hold the "recirculate button" down for a couple of seconds, it will stay in that setting indefinitely until the car is shut down and restarted.

I'm sure manufacturers get big chuckles out of car forum threads like this.

The following users liked this post:
Arne (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

they can hurry up and deliver my MY16 before 2017

been waiting 8 months now.....end finally in sight as the ship dropped it off 2 weeks ago

Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

the BT autoplay is pretty annoying but it's the fault of the phone (Android) not the car. I googled it a while back, there is a way to disable it in Android but never got around to it.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

- front camera, seems like a no brainer

Old 11-17-2015, 12:36 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
- front camera, seems like a no brainer
I think surround cameras. Parallel parking is not easy in this thing and the wheels are so soft. I always park wide just to avoid curbing if.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I think surround cameras. Parallel parking is not easy in this thing and the wheels are so soft. I always park wide just to avoid curbing if.
interesting, do any cars right now have side cameras? the wide angle cameras are pretty good, but hey why not? cameras/electronics are so cheap these days why not add in side cameras/sensors...

Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
interesting, do any cars right now have side cameras? the wide angle cameras are pretty good, but hey why not? cameras/electronics are so cheap these days why not add in side cameras/sensors...
Yes. BMW offers surround view cameras on most models including M4 coupe. My M5 has 6 cameras built in.

Infiniti and Mercedes have it on the bigger cars. Some Acuras have it,

Old 11-17-2015, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

My Touareg had 4 cameras (front, rear and under both side view mirrors). You could have them displayed in several diffeerent settings, included "surround").

I used them all the time when parking, and that would have been a huge improvement on the F-type, as it is not easy to know exactly where the wheels are related to the curbs.

As mentiones above, cameras are very cheap, so it should not neccessarely add that much to the cost as there are allready wires going to where the cameras could be mounted and would just need a few more wires in the bundle + cameras + software and videoswitch.

That is probabely the only option that I personally miss.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The problem with discussions like this is that you ask 100 people and you get 100 different preferences. If all the suggestions here were implemented, there would be even more complaints from people who don't like and don't want those things.
Sorry but that's just not right. Manufacturers DO read message boards, and it's just defeatist to accept that users do not have well reasoned feedback on features.

For example:
  • The higher end BMW cars remember recirculate settings. It has nothing to do with what your preference is (just don't hit the button if you like fresh air!)
  • Ditto for eco start/stop. That is also configurable in other cars. The default setting is for the car to start/stop, but regulation has nothing to do with whether the user setting persists or not.
  • Whether or not you like the existing sunshades, few users would complain if the sunshades could swivel as they do for the vast majority of cars in the world. Why does Jaguar think it knows better? Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and other manufacturers have both coupe and convertible versions of their vehicles and have never paused to consider not offering the swiveling sunshade.
  • Mixing icons and labels on a button panel is bad user interface design, on an objective and not a subjective level. Mixing labels and icons creates additional cognitive load for users scanning the button panel while driving, because the user has to context-switch as s/he is scanning the panel. Moreover, users who are searching for a particular function (e.g. climate) now need to remember whether to look for an icon or a label, so it also hurts the memorability of the interface.

These aren't 50/50 tradeoffs: they're reasoned commercial design tradeoffs that other luxury manufacturers with far more history and volume in sports cars have made. The upshot is not that Jaguar is smarter than everyone else, but rather that Jaguar still needs to catch up on these details and successive platform years are exactly where this needs to happen (and does happen for other brands).

The suggestions above are not difficult to implement (e.g. "give us a double clutch transmission") but rather are simple part adjustments or software adjustments of the kind that any lean organization can implement in a reasonably scoped kaizen continuous improvement project.

Last edited by schraderade; 11-17-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

It's not a question of right or wrong, but opinions and preferences.

With regard to sun shades, go study the interior structure and layout of the converible top and tell me how that could possibly work.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

It's not a question of right or wrong, but opinions and preferences.

With regard to sun shades, go study the interior structure and layout of the converible top and tell me how that could possibly work.
Sorry, but commercial designers don't show up with opinions and preferences (that's a good way to get fired). We show up with design logic and user feedback.

With respect to sunshades, just get into a convertible 911. They have swiveling sunshades, and my best friend uses his daily on his convertible drive to Google down from San Francisco.

Last edited by schraderade; 11-17-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Just get into a convertible 911. They have swiveling sunshades, and my best friend uses his daily on his convertible drive to Google down from San Francisco.
Uh, the 911 top, and the F-Type top are not the same design. Again go look at the F-Type interior structure and tell me how that would work.

All cars have design-based trade-offs, but the sunshades in the F-Type convertible work brilliantly for someone my height. Shorter people might benefit, but tall people would find them unusable, and a car has to be designed to accommodate all shapes and sizes.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean with regard "active exhaust default settings." Do you mean you want it to start "quiet?"
Good question. Loud is a permanent setting for dynamic mode. Not certain why you would want it set for quiet in that mode. It would be nice if dynamic mode could be permanently switched to on or off, rather than defaulting back to off after a few hours of inactivity. However, pressing the dynamic button has become automatic for me.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Auto start/stop is here to stay, and I don't see the option to set it off by default as even remotely likely.
Now that I'm used to this feature, I miss it on my other vehicles. Seems like a waste of good money just sitting at a stop and idling.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

[*]Whether or not you like the existing sunshades, few users would complain if the sunshades could swivel as they do for the vast majority of cars in the world. Why does Jaguar think it knows better? Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and other manufacturers have both coupe and convertible versions of their vehicles and have never paused to consider not offering the swiveling sunshade.
Not necessarily true in all cases. My last BMW Z4 convertible had non-swivel sunshades that work exactly the same as they do in the F-Type. More than likely for the same reason too... that body was designed to be usable in both the coupe and rag-top cabrio format so they could maximize the reuse of parts.

IMO, while I agree that the sunshades are a bit small, this is rarely a problem for me. Based on the slope of the windshield and seating position in the car I am almost never in a position where the sun can really hit me directly while the top is up. When the top is down and the sun is visible, I generally don't care anyway since I usually have a visor on or something similar to block the sun.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Good question. Loud is a permanent setting for dynamic mode. Not certain why you would want it set for quiet in that mode. It would be nice if dynamic mode could be permanently switched to on or off, rather than defaulting back to off after a few hours of inactivity. However, pressing the dynamic button has become automatic for me.
It would be nice if dynamic could be the default start mode. The point I was trying to make isn't necessarily relating to any particular setting. Generally speaking, it would be better if the car were more configurable.

Quick Reply: Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017