F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple things Jaguar could do to improve F-Type R for 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Are you serious? If you can't handle these issues, perhaps a Tesla is the car for you.
Tut tut tut, are you perpetually angry, or is there another reason you can't handle opposing views?

Since you brought it up though, Jaguar and every other car maker could learn from Tesla. Why not make all these driver and comfort settings configurable. It'll make you, me, and everyone happy.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
It would be nice if dynamic could be the default start mode. The point I was trying to make isn't necessarily relating to any particular setting. Generally speaking, it would be better if the car were more configurable.
Understood and agreed. Particular as it relates to the suspension, I don't understand why the setting is binary instead of analog. There might be times when you want a setting half way between firm and soft.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Particular as it relates to the suspension, I don't understand why the setting is binary instead of analog. There might be times when you want a setting half way between firm and soft.

Doesn't the configurable dynamics give you that? (I don't have that option.)

Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Tut tut tut, are you perpetually angry, or is there another reason you can't handle opposing views?
My bet would be perpetually angry.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Not angry, just perpetually curious about human perceptions. It's never emotional, but I love a good debate.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Doesn't the configurable dynamics give you that? (I don't have that option.)
It's either "dynamic on" or "normal on" for each of the 3 dynamic mode configurables:engine, steering, suspension. No in-between. When not in dynamic mode, all 3 parameters are "normal". Sound in dynamic mode is always loud. In normal mode you can select loud or quiet (default is quiet).

Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's either "dynamic on" or "normal on" for each of the 3 dynamic mode configurables:engine, steering, suspension. No in-between. When not in dynamic mode, all 3 parameters are "normal". Sound in dynamic mode is always loud. In normal mode you can select loud or quiet (default is quiet).
Sound always switches to loud when I enter dynamic mode, but I can switch to quiet(er) and it stays dynamic. I like steering and suspension in dynamic settings most of the time, engine (throttle response, really) never, and loud infrequently. It'd be nice if TracDSC could be part of the dynamic choices too. I use that almost all the time.

If my startup sequence could be reduced to one button instead of

Start engine
Dynamic on
Exhaust quiet
TracDSC

I'd be just a little happier.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Some additional suggestions:

1. Climate control should remember the 'recirculate' setting when car starts up so drivers don't have to keep hitting it in polluted cities.

2. The function buttons around the center console screen are inconsistently labeled (some icons, some text). This is sloppy design and bad UX. Just use text labels.

3. Plastic pins holding the coupe luggage compartment lid (the large felt interior lid) are horribly designed and snap off easily. A load-bearing pin should be made of metal, period.

4. Get rid of the ridiculous autoplay function for bluetooth phones. Every time I connect my (android) phone it starts playing random music when I start up the car.

5. Cars should remember eco start/stop setting and keep that setting when car starts up.

6. The sunshades are far too small. Make them larger and allow them to pivot to the side windows. Like it or not, these cars get driven at sunset/sunrise commute hours where sun glare is a problem.

7. (USA) Give us a locking gas cap!!!
Bigger sunshades are an Option if you order your car. So they can be retrofitted. In the meantime, raise the seat. It'll make it easier to get out too.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It'd be nice if TracDSC could be part of the dynamic choices too. I use that almost all the time.
+1. TracDSC adds another dimension to driving the MT.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing engine note and performance, abysmal interior quality.

StealthPilot, you are 100% correct. Frankly I'm surprised that no one else on this thread seems to agree with you.

The center console of the F-Type is CHEAP. The glossy carbon fiber on the Range Rover (or any other modern luxury brand) is actually real carbon fiber, unlike the cheap plastic on our cars, and it looks so much better.

The old school analog instrument cluster is also disappointing, especially when virtually every other luxury brand has already moved to higher-resolution digital displays. Not to mention the laggy, last generation navigation system.

Other disappointments: horrible Meridian sound, lack of voice commands, lack of adaptive cruise control, tiny useless vanity mirrors, cheap-sounding beep when you try to lock the car when the door is ajar, and the cheap plastic buttons on the steering wheel feel even cheaper when you push them.

I do, however, disagree with you about the seats. I have the red and black seats and I think they look great.

The F-Type R is an amazing car, but for $100k+ I expect a lot more from the interior quality.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I wouldn't mind paying an extra 2-3 k for a better premium quality interior, put it there is an option with more colors and customization

Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Offer the Tornado and Cyclone wheels as options on the R! They offer it in the UK, crazy I can't order one like that in the US.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Offer the Tornado and Cyclone wheels as options on the R! They offer it in the UK, crazy I can't order one like that in the US.
I think you're going to enjoy looking at ebay.co.uk

£1500 with new tyres....

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
I think you're going to enjoy looking at ebay.co.uk

£1500 with new tyres....

I think you're going to enjoy being my new best friend.

Just sent a few messages seeing if any will ship to the US.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricardo Agustin Perez
StealthPilot, you are 100% correct. Frankly I'm surprised that no one else on this thread seems to agree with you.

The center console of the F-Type is CHEAP. The glossy carbon fiber on the Range Rover (or any other modern luxury brand) is actually real carbon fiber, unlike the cheap plastic on our cars, and it looks so much better.

Other disappointments: horrible Meridian sound, lack of voice commands, lack of adaptive cruise control, tiny useless vanity mirrors, cheap-sounding beep when you try to lock the car when the door is ajar, and the cheap plastic buttons on the steering wheel feel even cheaper when you push them.

I do, however, disagree with you about the seats. I have the red and black seats and I think they look great.

The F-Type R is an amazing car, but for $100k+ I expect a lot more from the interior quality.
100% the interior and sound needs work. The B&O sound system in my Audi Q5 is so much better it sickens me, especially considering the $50K price difference.

I'm working on learning to skin with real carbon fiber to address the center console....

Old 12-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I've got another one:
Improve blind spot monitoring. I know that long term test drive article complained about it failing sometimes, and my very own V8S tried to kill me on numerous occasions

Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got another one:
Improve blind spot monitoring. I know that long term test drive article complained about it failing sometimes, and my very own V8S tried to kill me on numerous occasions
Hmmm, that is disturbing due to the coupe's acute lack of visibility.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbroth1
100% the interior and sound needs work. The B&O sound system in my Audi Q5 is so much better it sickens me, especially considering the $50K price difference.

I'm working on learning to skin with real carbon fiber to address the center console....
Completely agreed! I posted on this forum about my issue with buying the R due to the cheap interior and outdated technology. It amazes me that Jaguar would make such a beautiful exterior and cheap outdated interior for a car that I would be spending $120 grand. Jaguar should make an option to pay an extra $3000 for nice quality interior. Some have said on this forum that the interior lower quality bc it's a sports car. Look at any other sports cars even in the $70-80 grand range and the interiors and technology outpace the FType R. So I am now looking at Merc AMG which has hand built engines with beautiful interior quality. Example is the CLS 63 s AMG coupe with 577 hp 590 ft lb torque and 0-60 in 3.5 sec. Built to my liking $122k.

And btw, I own a 2012 XFR which I bought new for about $86k with much nicer interior and real carbon fiber and suede pillars and ceiling. Although, in Jaguar like style, it has had numerous annoying problems (i.e., drivers side door misalinging hitting and denting rear door, rattling noise coming from under hood, rattling noise inside door, electronic failure (towed)) and 2 of them the dealership was never able to resolve.

Last edited by Ridgeback; 12-09-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by meefer
+1 At 6' 2" I might not need the room, but just make the seat stop squeaking if I move it all the way back.
I hear ya. Just had my first service the other day at the dealer and had them address the squeak when the seat is all the way back. Fixed.

Kjamo

Old 12-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo
I hear ya. Just had my first service the other day at the dealer and had them address the squeak when the seat is all the way back. Fixed.

Kjamo
How did they "fix" the squeak? I assume it just squeaks due to friction between the seat back and the bulkhead when the seat is all the way back...