F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skimping the annual maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Skimping the annual maintenance

So, hypothetically, if someone were to skip the annual maintenance, and the car is leased, will there be a fee?
Note to car lovers, this isn't what I'm planning on doing. I don't aim to mistreat my car. It's just possible I will be 5-8 weeks late on the annual maintenance for reasons mostly beyond my control.
My car is leased, and I'm worried they will charge me a large fee for skipping the annual maintenance. Seeing as maintenance charge is $600, a company wanting to deter customers skimping on their leased cars, if doing the oil change themselves, would need to charge at least several hundred for missed annual maintenance. I searched online, but found absolutely nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

I'm sure there is a +- for the annual service, I'd just call them and explain your situation, should be fine.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

My annual service - my 1-year anniversary (time flies when you're having fun) - is actually in 2 days! I've already called my service manager and have something scheduled Nov 6 (free-of-charge of course as it's the first) so provided you call them ahead of time, I agree that you should have no problems whatsoever.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The only thing you really have to worry about is a warranty denial if you have a major problem.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The only thing you really have to worry about is a warranty denial if you have a major problem.
What, me worry?

Not sure whether your comment was directed to me or hardwired or both but a few weeks beyond the "one year" mark shouldn't pose a problem for anyone. Whatever the problem.

Of course I could be wrong. (But I doubt it).

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
What, me worry?

Not sure whether your comment was directed to me or hardwired or both but a few weeks beyond the "one year" mark shouldn't pose a problem for anyone. Whatever the problem.

Of course I could be wrong. (But I doubt it).
Jay, it was directed at the OP.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Copy that. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

You should be fine if you're a few weeks/months late...the 1 year service is just a glorified oil change :-)

Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
You should be fine if you're a few weeks/months late...the 1 year service is just a glorified oil change :-)
Read the first sentence of the OP. I wasn't talking about a few weeks, which of course would make no difference. I was talking to the OP who was asking hypothetically about "skimping" which I believe he intended to mean skipping annual maintenance.

Thus, my answer.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Read the first sentence of the OP. I wasn't talking about a few weeks, which of course would make no difference. I was talking to the OP who was asking hypothetically about "skimping" which I believe he intended to mean skipping annual maintenance.

Thus, my answer.
Haha, yes, skipping not skimping. I noticed the typo but figured it made a passable pun.
Thanks for your responses. A couple guys mentioned I should talk to the dealer, which I sort of did, but it's complicated so I'll have to reconsider it.
Overall, if I understood correctly, the verdict seems to be that I should be ok if I'm a couple months late.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Overall, if I understood correctly, the verdict seems to be that I should be ok if I'm a couple months late...
I would say that's correct...

Old 10-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Hypothetically, why would it be impossible to do the service early?

Old 10-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
So, hypothetically, if someone were to skip the annual maintenance, and the car is leased, will there be a fee?
Note to car lovers, this isn't what I'm planning on doing. I don't aim to mistreat my car. It's just possible I will be 5-8 weeks late on the annual maintenance for reasons mostly beyond my control.
My car is leased, and I'm worried they will charge me a large fee for skipping the annual maintenance. Seeing as maintenance charge is $600, a company wanting to deter customers skimping on their leased cars, if doing the oil change themselves, would need to charge at least several hundred for missed annual maintenance. I searched online, but found absolutely nothing. Anyone know anything about this?
Skimping, skipping or delaying maintenance are all different things. DIY is different again. Are you worried about the lease agreement or the car warranty or both? There is no legal requirement to have any scheduled maintenance done by a dealer. A local garage or DIY is fine.

What does the lease contract say?

Get the answer in writing from both the dealer and leasing company.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:12 PM

@f-typical
I'm in a legal... discussion with jag. I'm worried about saying something I shouldn't, so I'm being vague on purpose. I don't mean to be rude, and I hope you'll put up with me on this.

@mikey
Talking to the dealer hasn't really given me a clear answer since we both don't feel comfortable talking about this, but talking to the leasing company sounds like a good idea.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one will really know or care unless the motor blows up and have reasons to be suspicious. Can't say the same for a 14 XF that came through. Made it to 35k on original oil till it siezed. Would have survived if they kept the level topped up!

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mecevans
No one will really know or care unless the motor blows up and have reasons to be suspicious. Can't say the same for a 14 XF that came through. Made it to 35k on original oil till it siezed. Would have survived if they kept the level topped up!
You can talk to almost any service advisor at any new car dealer and hear stories like this. For many, a vehicle is just like a refrigerator or any other appliance and doesn't need service until it won't start or they're stranded on the side of the road.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Reminds me of my sister. She bought a 1970 Chevy Nova and sold it 8 years later just after getting married because her husband didn't want her driving around in an old(er) car. When she went to trade it in, the technician asked her how much oil it consumed, she responded with: "What?". The technician then ask when the last time she had checked the oil: "What". Final question: when had she last changed the oil? "What?"

Despite that, it was the most reliable car she has ever owned. Zero repairs or maintenance. (I wouldn't want to be the next owner, though)

Old 10-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not exactly answering your question, but related....

I have a 2016, which has maintenance included for 5 year....I read somewhere that if you do not schedule the service within 30 days after your anniversary date, then it's not covered under the maintenance program and you have to pay out of pocket.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Reminds me of my sister. She bought a 1970 Chevy Nova and sold it 8 years later just after getting married because her husband didn't want her driving around in an old(er) car. When she went to trade it in, the technician asked her how much oil it consumed, she responded with: "What?". The technician then ask when the last time she had checked the oil: "What". Final question: when had she last changed the oil? "What?"

Despite that, it was the most reliable car she has ever owned. Zero repairs or maintenance. (I wouldn't want to be the next owner, though)
I'm sorry Lance BUT there is no cause to post the words CHEVY NOVA anywhere on this F-Type Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a shock to my senses (and sensibility).

As you were, you Terminally Unhinged rascal.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
It's a shock to my senses (and sensibility).

As you were, you Terminally Unhinged rascal.

My apologies to all for offending the senses.

Quick Reply: Skimping the annual maintenance