F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slotted rotors for high performance (380/326mm) brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Slotted rotors for high performance (380/326mm) brakes

I've been looking for slotted (only) rotors for my high performance brakes (380mm/326mm). If I want matching a set front and rear, there seems to be only two options: StopTech and R1 Concepts. Is this what you guys have found too?

(There are other options for drilled or slotted & drilled, or if I am willing to have mismatched F/R.)

I've read not-great things about R1. People seem to report problems pretty frequently, which are handled by their employees scouring the forums for poor feedback and offering discounts. StopTech seems to have a solid reputation but are kind of pricey—I would rather spend more on EBC rotors I actually like, but they're only available in the 380 size...

Any other options I've missed?

Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

As I have commented many times before it seems to me that almost all of the slotted or drilled and slotted rotors available are the exact same Chinese made ones regardless of which brand they are marketed under. That includes StopTech, PowerSport, R1 Concepts and Hart. I would simply go with whichever of these you can find for the best price and best after-sales warranty and service. I got Hart ones four years ago for my XFR and then swapped them over to the F-Type and have had zero problems with them.
Like you Bruce The Quail was searching for new rotors a few months back, same size as yours (380 front 326 back) but he was after slotted and drilled rather than just slotted. I did a fair bit of searching for him and in the end I could not find anyone who sold a kit of these and I ended up pointing him to R1 Concepts front drilled and slotted plus R1 Concepts rear slotted only.
Maybe Bruce can let us/you know how they are going so far - nice and smooth or the not uncommon problem of judder/vibration.
There are stacks and stacks of kits for 380 front and 376 rear drilled and slotted (ie the F-Type Super Performance brakes) but bugger all and likely zero for the High Performance brakes (380 front and 326 rear).
Another alternative you could consider is to do what I did - upgrade the rear brakes from 326 to 376 - as that would open up a lot more rotor kit options.
Obviously a fair bit more expensive than just new rotors and pads but a huge improvement in appearance and a marginal improvement in braking performance.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

Gooday Oz, yes thanks for your time on that.

I got the slotted and drilled because I am a not so closet bogan (redneck/chav) and I dont track the car anyway. There was quite a bit of shudder the day they went on so I took it out to a nice section of road and took it to 100kph then braked firmly down to 30kph then did that about 6 times at the end of which they were smooth as a baby's bottom and they have been perfect ever since. There is a real "feeling" of more stopping power with them.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Gooday Oz, yes thanks for your time on that.

I got the slotted and drilled because I am a not so closet bogan (redneck/chav) and I dont track the car anyway. There was quite a bit of shudder the day they went on so I took it out to a nice section of road and took it to 100kph then braked firmly down to 30kph then did that about 6 times at the end of which they were smooth as a baby's bottom and they have been perfect ever since. There is a real "feeling" of more stopping power with them.
Yep, that bedding in process is what I have done for many years across multiple cars, multiple Jags and multiple rotor and/or pad changes, and I have NEVER had a single problem with brake judder or vibration.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

Hey Oz, you seem to be the brakes guru.

A fellow with an XE on Venoms wanted to see if he could put F Type brakes on it. It just so happens that I have an XE with venoms and an F Type with the bigger brakes so I measured clearance from the rotor and I got that the inner edge of the spokes on the Venoms is 50mm from the rotor and the F Type 380mm brakes are 45mm deep, giving 5 mm clearance if the Venoms were on it. Does that sound right to you, and would that be enough? When I had the Centrifuges they were were very close to the caliper as well.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The best way to know for certain is to just bolt the wheel to the car and measure the actual clearance. If you can still slide a credit card with embossed numbers between the spoke and the caliper, you have plenty of clearance.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The best way to know for certain is to just bolt the wheel to the car and measure the actual clearance. If you can still slide a credit card with embossed numbers between the spoke and the caliper, you have plenty of clearance.
Or else just spin a front wheel while it is up in the air (how else did you get the old wheel off and the new one on???) and if no scrapes or clunks you are good to go!

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Or else just spin a front wheel while it is up in the air (how else did you get the old wheel off and the new one on???) and if no scrapes or clunks you are good to go!
Mere clearance at rest may not be adequate. You have to take some wheel flex on hard cornering into account. The measuring methodology I suggest ensures .050" of clearance prior to flex.