Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow accel performance but no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The stock V6S has very little SC whine, you can only just hear some when crawling along at low revs then as soon as the revs climb and/or you give it some throttle it is completely drowned out by the exhaust noise.
Two things boosted (terrible pun intended!) the SC whine on my V6S a lot, firstly the larger crank pulley with the associated tune (which alters how the SC bypass valve operates) and then the Mina Gallery lower intake system (which removes the baffles in the lower intakes).
I'm guessing the car in the vid has one or both of those things.
The whine on mine was less pronounced before the VAP goodies but after VAP was very pronounced. But could always hear it on hard acceleration.

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
The whine on mine was less pronounced before the VAP goodies but after VAP was very pronounced. But could always hear it on hard acceleration.
Maybe it's a 'vert vs coupe thing, before the pulley and tune I could hear a little SC whine only with the window down.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:02 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to track several 0-60 MPH runs today and will report the results and post video. I don't hear any supercharger whine at all, even with the windows down.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:06 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I have seen several posts indicating that removing the engine cover allows you to hear the SC whine a bit more. Easy enough to try.

The engine cover lifts straight up.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpq100
I have seen several posts indicating that removing the engine cover allows you to hear the SC whine a bit more. Easy enough to try.

I have been running without the engine cover for over five years now!

Old 04-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to track several 0-60 MPH runs today and will report the results and post video. I don't hear any supercharger whine at all, even with the windows down.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard the whine on mine either. Maybe verrrrryyy softly once I hit around 5K RPM. The guy in the video did mod to his car to increase the whine noise, can’t recall what though.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:13 AM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Slipping supercharger belt maybe, caused by a weak tensioner? Seems like you'd hear the belt squeal, but I'm just pitching out ideas at this point.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpq100

Good point about this. Mine has been removed since I bought it.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
The most straightforward way would be to connect a readout to your OBD connector and see what MAP is under hard acceleration, and go from there.
That assumes that we know what MAP is supposed to be under boost... I do not.
I'd also recommend checking boost pressure. Stock boost as seen on a dyno for a 2016 V6S is about 14.5psi. There's some data to be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...s-tune-153046/

I've got an OBD reader and the Torque app on an Android device. I don't use it because of the OBD software defect that requires a battery reset after use, but I have used it before. I expect it could also show throttle opening. There may be something limiting that.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:20 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I have the quick disconnect installed so it is pretty easy for me to reset things after the OBD is plugged in. I'll put my OBD in and sync it to my Dash Command App to see what numbers I can come up with. Thanks for suggesting the baseline boost of 14.5psi. Will report more soon.

Thanks again.

Peter

Old 04-16-2022, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Slipping supercharger belt maybe, caused by a weak tensioner? Seems like you'd hear the belt squeal, but I'm just pitching out ideas at this point.
I'm inclined to agree that you'd hear it, but it could also be a problem with the Supercharger bypass actuator.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:02 PM

I had my neighbor drive my XK on front of me on the highway going about 60. Both in 3rd gear, we hit the gas at the same time. We repeated this over and over, with the XK always pulling away from the F-Type.
Here's a video on the speedo.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O4O...ew?usp=sharing

I'll book some time in the shop and see what's going on with the supercharger. As recommended above, I took the engine cover off and still zero supercharger sound.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get in a 0-60 time and some more numbers from the OBD/Dash Command App.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

I had my neighbor drive my XK on front of me on the highway going about 60. Both in 3rd gear, we hit the gas at the same time. We repeated this over and over, with the XK always pulling away from the F-Type.
Here's a video on the speedo.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O4O...ew?usp=sharing

I'll book some time in the shop and see what's going on with the supercharger. As recommended above, I took the engine cover off and still zero supercharger sound.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get in a 0-60 time and some more numbers from the OBD/Dash Command App.
Not trying to be a smarta$$. But did you check to see if the supercharger drive belt hasn't fallen off or snapped? It would explain why no whine and no slipping belt squeal and of course the lack of performance.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Not trying to be a smarta$$. But did you check to see if the supercharger drive belt hasn't fallen off or snapped? It would explain why no whine and no slipping belt squeal and of course the lack of performance.
That would disable more than just the supercharger. I think it'd also take down A/C, alternator, and water pump.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That would disable more than just the supercharger. I think it'd also take down A/C, alternator, and water pump.
Separate belt drives those.

winstonsalemncxk (05-06-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Probably not as they are two separate belts, ie the SC belt is dedicated to the SC and runs nothing else while a separate/different belt runs the accessories.
That vid posted by Cwis gets my vote, I reckon the SC bypass valve actuator is faulty.
My guess is that when the actuator fails the valve defaults to the full open position ie total bypass.
Maybe this can be tested simply by unplugging the connector and going for a run, if zero change then its the likely culprit.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Separate belt drives those.
Originally Posted by OzXFR
Probably not as they are two separate belts, ie the SC belt is dedicated to the SC and runs nothing else while a separate/different belt runs the accessories.
This is indeed correct. My mistake. The service manual confirms my error:
PRIMARY DRIVE BELT
The primary drive belt is a six-ribbed poly-V belt that drives the:
Coolant pump
Power steering pump
Air Conditioning (A/C) compressor
Generator.

SECONDARY DRIVE BELT
The secondary drive belt is an eight-ribbed poly-V belt that drives the
supercharger.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:19 AM

RGPV6S,
I removed the engine cover and am looking in the area of the supercharger but I don't really know what I'm looking at and for. I've changed oil, filters, and brakes before but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined. Should you be able to see the supercharger belt from the top with the engine cover off?

Thanks,
Peter

Old 04-17-2022, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

RGPV6S,
I removed the engine cover and am looking in the area of the supercharger but I don't really know what I'm looking at and for. I've changed oil, filters, and brakes before but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined. Should you be able to see the supercharger belt from the top with the engine cover off?

Thanks,
Peter
If you are on the passenger side of the car look for the oil filter canister (the round grey item in photo). Supercharger pulley and belt are visible at the ~1-2 o' clock position from it (see arrow). It should be clear if the belt is not there visually or with your finger.

winstonsalemncxk (05-06-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 08:12 AM

RGPV6S,

Ding, ding, ding. Thanks so much for your help. Here are some pictures of what's going on in my engine bay. As I said, I'm not mechanically inclined, but even I know this doesn't look right!

Peter

Quick Reply: Slow accel performance but no codes.