Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Garage - Folding Mirror width

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022 | 01:00 PM
|
Default Small Garage - Folding Mirror width

Hi all,

I'm looking to move and unfortunately in the Bay Area, alot of the classic building have the small garage widths. Does anyone park by folding in the side mirrors? My concern is that the hips of the F-Type might be the same length as the mirrors extended, so even if I fold them in I will not fit through a narrow opening. I don't dare to try (since I don't have mirrors to gauge!).

Would love to hear any experience.

Cheers
Dev

Old 08-25-2022 | 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

She's 75" at the hips. Folded mirrors are inside that.

Old 08-25-2022 | 01:50 PM

Width was definitely a consideration when I purchased my F-type. While the mirrors *may* be slightly wider than the hips, IMHO it's really hard to tell. See the pic.

Other considerations include having enough room on the drivers side to open the door inside the garage, and silencing the back-up alarm when backing out. I hang a rubber ball from a string to give me a sight-/range line when driving in. This gives both an indicator for passenger-side clearance and trunk clearance from the garage door.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2022 | 02:29 PM
|

Thanks guys! The funny bit is that the garages themselves are spacious-- just the openings are inconsiderately small. I guess the safest bet is, if the extended mirrors fit, the hips should too? I tried parking in one garage where I had .5 inches left on each side of the extended mirrors, and didn't want to live like that so I said no to that listing (even though everything else about the house was perfect). I'm trying to baby the Jag less...

Old 08-25-2022 | 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

In my Owner Handbook are some size specs including width with the mirrors out and width with the mirrors folded, as follows:
Width All vehicles 2 042 (80.4)
Width with mirrors folded All vehicles 1 881 (74.1)
The first figure is millimetres.
So the car is 6.3 inches or 161 mm wider with the mirrors out.

Old 08-26-2022 | 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by devmen
Thanks guys! The funny bit is that the garages themselves are spacious-- just the openings are inconsiderately small. I guess the safest bet is, if the extended mirrors fit, the hips should too? I tried parking in one garage where I had .5 inches left on each side of the extended mirrors, and didn't want to live like that so I said no to that listing (even though everything else about the house was perfect). I'm trying to baby the Jag less...
Back it in, that way you can tell if the hips will fit (mirrors can still be out while the hips slide through, or you can open your door and walk around as you get close).

Old 08-26-2022 | 02:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Back it in, that way you can tell if the hips will fit (mirrors can still be out while the hips slide through, or you can open your door and walk around as you get close).
Thanks I'll keep that in mind during my search. The driveway I tested sloped so much I couldn't back in with enough of an angle to prevent the front lip from scraping. I swear this city hates cars.

Old 08-26-2022 | 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Don't you know YOU'RE the problem? In CA, you're supposed to drive something small and electric.

Meanwhile, per the manual, the width is:
80.7" with mirrors extended
75.7" with mirrors folded
There's even a little diagram (P188 in mine).

Last edited by uncheel; 08-26-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2022 | 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
Don't you know YOU'RE the problem? In CA, you're supposed to drive something small and electric.

So why does my manual (also a 2014 F-Type) say 80.4"and 74.1"????
That's an overall difference of 1.3", quite a lot when you are juggling the car through a tight gap.
Maybe there is something different about the mirrors NAS vs ROW?

Old 08-26-2022 | 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel

I know you're only joking, but the sad reality is I bought my F-Type R after leasing an EV for 3 years.

The first year was more on less pretty good. Free power, lots of charging spots at my work and even at the airport. I could part it for free in the daily parking. I could even go to a Giant's game and charge there.

By the end of the second year of ownership. there were more electric cars than charging spots at my work. If I wasn't one of the first people there, I would usually be unable to charge at work. The sign sais there was a two hour limit for charging, but no one obeyed and no one enforced. The same was true almost everywhere. My electric spots were taken up by plug in hybrids that used the spots as reserved parking. My range anxiety got real bad. Sure, I'd charge at home, but god help me if I had to drive up a hill in winter. Winter would sap about 25% of range and going up hill would hit it even harder than that. I actually had to rent a car one weekend because my wife was going on a girls trip and I could not could on getting to my destination and back.

For peace of mind, I went back to ICE. Now, with Public Safety Power Shutoffs, I've had 4 days straight of no power. Screw that noise.

Sorry about the tangent rant.

The following users liked this post:
scm (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022 | 10:33 AM

i have the F-Type R in the one car garage and have to fold the mirrors since tight fit through garage door. I always fold the mirrors and turn on the parking assist button. Always nervous getting past the mirrors. After that it is cake. I then put it in reverse to see backup cam lines to verify I am in far enough to clear garage door.

Last edited by 355rockit; 08-27-2022 at 10:35 AM.