F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small oil change question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024, 09:02 AM
Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Small oil change question(s)

Been getting my ducks in a row for doing the first oil change on my F-type DIY (parts, tools, procedure, etc.). It all seems pretty straight-forward, save for the fact I will being doing the work in my garage that has a natural small incline for drainage.

I have noticed that this slight incline does make a huge difference in the oil level reading. On a flat surface it shows it to be 2 notches below the MAX level allowed (or 2 notches above the midway mark of the scale). In my garage it shows as 2 notches above the MIN allowed amount of oil (or 2 notches below the midway mark of the scale). So that’s a spread of 4 notches on the scale, whatever amount that is.

In any case, all this to say I’d like to be sure/accurate about the amount of oil removed and going back in so that my inability to truly accurately read the oil level in my garage right on the spot without moving the car is less of a concern sorta thing…

I will be using a Mityvac. For those using a Mityvac (or equivalent) for extraction, are you guys typically also using the Mityvac to dispense the fresh oil as well? I found a pretty good video on the Internet that goes over the procedure. The only aspect of it that seemed a bit hoaky to me was the fact that the guy marked the level of the extracted old oil with a black marker on the Mityvac. He then dumped the old oil out of the Mityvac and filled it with fresh oil to the black marker line he made. From there he dumped the fresh oil back into the engine.

It makes sense to me from the standpoint of having the confidence that exactly the same amount of oil goes back in. That I like. But something about it just seems off…lol…I don’t know…

Do you guys typically clean out your Mityvac when done? If so, what do you use to do it properly? I feel this question becomes quite relevant once one decides to rely on the Mityvac for dispensing as well.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2024, 09:08 AM
Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Didn't you get the 5 years free maintenance when you bought the car?

Old 09-10-2024, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by cpq100
Didn't you get the 5 years free maintenance when you bought the car?
In Canada we don’t get that. I would still do the services myself either way. Less trips to the dealer means less other potential problems (them overfilling my engine, damaging my car, joy riding my car, etc). No thanks. More importantly, just so much more convenient. To each their own. If you knew the problems I’ve had with dealerships over the years you would understand. At the end of the day, to each their own.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 09:24 AM
Received 88 Likes on 30 Posts

I personally use the amount of oil extracted by the MitvVac as a guideline for how much oil to put back in, but I do the fill the "old-fashioned way" from the bottle to the filler neck. I do clean out my Mityvac between oil changes, but I reserve the Mityvac for just extraction. I use the oil level meter on the dash to fine tune the oil fill (usually within a few ounces from my initial fill). Sounds like you have pretty good historic data on where the oil level should be in your garage to register a proper level on flat ground.

I am right there with you on preferring to do my own maintenance vs taking to the dealership. I can do an oil change on my F-Type in half the time it would take me to drive to the dealership and back, let alone wait for them to do the work, and worry about what oil they are using, how much, and what else they are doing with my car.

Old 09-10-2024, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead01
I personally use the amount of oil extracted by the MitvVac as a guideline for how much oil to put back in, but I do the fill the "old-fashioned way" from the bottle to the filler neck. I do clean out my Mityvac between oil changes, but I reserve the Mityvac for just extraction. I use the oil level meter on the dash to fine tune the oil fill (usually within a few ounces from my initial fill). Sounds like you have pretty good historic data on where the oil level should be in your garage to register a proper level on flat ground.

I am right there with you on preferring to do my own maintenance vs taking to the dealership. I can do an oil change on my F-Type in half the time it would take me to drive to the dealership and back, let alone wait for them to do the work, and worry about what oil they are using, how much, and what else they are doing with my car.
Yeah, I have trust issues with dealerships ;-) It doesn’t help that a few stories have made the local news here for local high end dealerships joy riding peoples’ rides etc…All caught on camera etc…Never saw anything for my dealer specifically, but this is etched in my mind…More than a couple of these things have played out in the media locally…No thanks…lol…Mercedes was one of them, and a few others.

Yeah, I think I will take your approach. I don’t see any measurement markings on the side of this Mityvac so I assume you precisely measure the extracted oil as you are disposing of it into your disposal bin. That’s what I will do. Makes more sense to me.

What do you use to clean your Mityvac? Anything specific?

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Old 09-10-2024, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Yeah, I have trust issues with dealerships ;-) It doesn’t help that a few stories have made the local news here for local high end dealerships joy riding peoples’ rides etc…All caught on camera etc…Never saw anything for my dealer specifically, but this is etched in my mind…More than a couple of these things have played out in the media locally…No thanks…lol…Mercedes was one of them, and a few others.

Yeah, I think I will take your approach. I don’t see any measurement markings on the side of this Mityvac so I assume you precisely measure the extracted oil as you are disposing of it into your disposal bin. That’s what I will do. Makes more sense to me.

What do you use to clean your Mityvac? Anything specific?

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.
I don't bother cleaning it because I only use it to extract oil or brake fluid. If I did clean it I would use brake cleaner.

For refill I just pour the correct amount from bottles then check oil level with oil level indicator before and after the first drive. It is never off by more than 1/4 of a quart. If under add appropriate amount. If slightly overfilled just extract the appropriate amount. BTW never had an overfill. Have used this procedure 8 years now with no issues.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 09-10-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2024, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I don't bother cleaning it because I only use it to extract oil or brake fluid. If I did clean it I would use brake cleaner.

For refill I just pour the correct amount from bottles then check oil level with oil level indicator before and after the first drive. It is never off by more than 1/4 of a quart. If under add appropriate amount. If slightly overfilled just extract the appropriate amount. BTW never had an overfill. Have used this procedure 8 years now with no issues.
Yeah, I guess I’m just paranoid because I’m not on a level surface when doing the actual work. For this reason I prefer the idea of having some precise certainty that the same amount goes back in as what came out. As long as I know the level was okay on a flat surface prior to the work (street, local park, whatever) then I feel better doing things this way all things considered.

Old 09-10-2024, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I guess I’m just paranoid because I’m not on a level surface when doing the actual work. For this reason I prefer the idea of having some precise certainty that the same amount goes back in as what came out. As long as I know the level was okay on a flat surface prior to the work (street, local park, whatever) then I feel better doing things this way all things considered.
My extractor has lines on it to the nearest half quart.. I do look at it and the amount extracted always is about what I am supposed to put back in. My garage floor is perfectly level though.

Old 09-10-2024, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
My extractor has lines on it to the nearest half quart.. I do look at it and the amount extracted always is about what I am supposed to put back in. My garage floor is perfectly level though.
hmm…is it a Mityvac? Mine is the MV7201.

I don’t recall seeing any on mine. Will check again. Weird.

Old 09-10-2024, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have a MityVac vac but here is a photo:

Old 09-10-2024, 02:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

The MV7201 does have markings but you really have to look for them, they’re not at all easy to see. I should probably use a Sharpy to make them more visible.

I use a bit of degreaser to clean mine, but it’s only used for extracting used oil.

Old 09-10-2024, 02:56 PM
Received 339 Likes on 211 Posts

Loosen, but don't remove the oil filter. Let it drain. Extract all the oil you can and make note of how much. Set the MV on a level surface. I took out 7.25 liters. I put 7. 25 back in from oil containers.. a 5 litre, two 1 litres and .25 of a third 1 litre. Let the car sit. Replace the oil filter, lubing the O ring. After about 20 min. start the car and let it idle down. Let it sit another 20 min. Use inst cluster to check oil level. Mine was spot on. Drive your car to a known level spot and let it sit 20 min. Check oil level again. Add or extract oil as needed. I clean the MV with bit of gasoline and drain it out upside down. Don't pour new clean oil in a dirty MV. Too much chance of contamination.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
Michael211 (09-12-2024), SportsEngineer (09-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 03:55 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,144 Posts

Jaguar says to let it sit for 10 minutes, not 20. Absolutely level ground is essential to get an accurate reading, too.

Old 09-10-2024, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Loosen, but don't remove the oil filter. Let it drain. Extract all the oil you can and make note of how much. Set the MV on a level surface. I took out 7.25 liters. I put 7. 25 back in from oil containers.. a 5 litre, two 1 litres and .25 of a third 1 litre. Let the car sit. Replace the oil filter, lubing the O ring. After about 20 min. start the car and let it idle down. Let it sit another 20 min. Use inst cluster to check oil level. Mine was spot on. Drive your car to a known level spot and let it sit 20 min. Check oil level again. Add or extract oil as needed. I clean the MV with bit of gasoline and drain it out upside down. Don't pour new clean oil in a dirty MV. Too much chance of contamination.
You must have a RWD. I believe my AWD V8 should be 6.5 litres. If not mistaken.

Yeah, I’ve seen some examples of where people got nowhere near the amount of oil out they should have when they skipped the step of loosening the oil filter first.

Last edited by DMeister; 09-10-2024 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SportsEngineer (09-11-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 04:39 PM

Couple more questions:

1) On the latest gen car the oil level readout has the little horizontal line marks up the displayed scale. Anyone know what the distance between 2 lines represents in term of volume of oil?

2) I’ve looked at a lot of guide info around this. Only in one suggested process did I see someone mention that we should be putting a bit of the refilled oil into the housing that holds the filter prior to replacing the new filter back in. You guys doing that? I have the impression most DIYers are not.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2024, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
The MV7201 does have markings but you really have to look for them, they’re not at all easy to see. I should probably use a Sharpy to make them more visible.

I use a bit of degreaser to clean mine, but it’s only used for extracting used oil.
Oh okay. I’ll look again. It must be hard to see for sure.

Old 09-10-2024, 04:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Here’s the oil change procedure, including filter torque, etc. It has you applying new oil to the filter o-ring. Also has directions for switching the electronic dipstick to instant vs. average.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wrsql...c1pmif16d&dl=0

Old 09-10-2024, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Here’s the oil change procedure, including filter torque, etc. It has you applying new oil to the filter o-ring. Also has directions for switching the electronic dipstick to instant vs. average.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wrsql...c1pmif16d&dl=0
Thanks for posting that. I was going get a shop manual anyway soon, but that is helpful. Surely things haven’t changed much for the 2024 car.

Okay, other than lubing the o-rings I see that it doesn’t really say anything about dumping oil in the filter housing at all. Good to know.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2024, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 609 Likes on 417 Posts

Okay, other than lubing the o-rings I see that it doesn’t really say anything about dumping oil in the filter housing at all.
My other exotic car is mid-engined and it has an oil cooler at the front of the car. So, that last quart of oil (of a 7 qt capacity) NEVER is drained on a routine oil change. No issues in 31 years.

While you might want to use a Bounty-towel or two to remove some of the oil from the F's filter canister, you don't need to worry about removing it all....You will be replacing enough of the old oil not to incur any wear or damage IMO.

Old 09-10-2024, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I was going get a shop manual anyway soon, but that is helpful. Surely things haven’t changed much for the 2024 car.

Okay, other than lubing the o-rings I see that it doesn’t really say anything about dumping oil in the filter housing at all. Good to know.

Thanks
About dumping oil in the filter housing.
It was 3 or 4 years ago now that some other FM (now dormant or maybe even banned) explained how pouring some fresh oil (not old or just dumped/extracted oil!) down the oil filter housing helped to flush out much of the old oil that still sits in the engine oil galleries after you have dumped or extracted the old oil.
I have posted a couple of times around here that I tried this and it worked.
The last few oil changes, after having extracted as much oil as I could, I have then poured about a litre of new oil (5W-30 left over from my old XFR) down the oil filter housing, let it drain through for around 10 minutes, then pumped it out.
It was far dirtier/blacker than I thought possible which showed how much old oil had still been in the engine oil galleries.

Quick Reply: Small oil change question(s)