Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart key reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Smart key reset

I'm finding that several times a week (and twice today), the car prompts me to reposition my key fob under the dash between my knee and the door before the car will start.

Do many of you have to do this? And is it very often?

I can't work out what the reason is behind why this happens. It is quite random as far as I can work out.

Cheers,
Oz

Old 03-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I'm finding that several times a week (and twice today), the car prompts me to reposition my key fob under the dash between my knee and the door before the car will start.

Do many of you have to do this? And is it very often?

I can't work out what the reason is behind why this happens. It is quite random as far as I can work out.

Cheers,
Oz
Maybe the fob needs a new battery. Does the car do the same when you use your second fob?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Maybe the fob needs a new battery. Does the car do the same when you use your second fob?
Not sure - I'll try it and see, but it's only a couple of months old, so you'd expect not. Thx

Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Although not with this car, in the past, I have had key fobs that acted up due to a premature battery failure.
Larry

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Replacing battery would be my first thought.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Back in the day when you had to put a key in an ignition switch, the battery in the key could be recharged as you drove.

So, in addition to the problems of where to put the key while in the car, and remembering to take it with you when you park, we have another Giant Leap for Mankind in useabilty.

I've decided to offer my services to Jaguar (and other manufacturers) as a Marketing Consultant. My role will be to slap the other Marketing Consultants - repeatedly - until they justify the added utility of their idea over the loss of utility in existing systems...

The following 3 users liked this post by F-typical:
Foosh (03-04-2015), OzRisk (03-04-2015), pembroke (03-06-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Back in the day when you had to put a key in an ignition switch, the battery in the key could be recharged as you drove.

So, in addition to the problems of where to put the key while in the car, and remembering to take it with you when you park, we have another Giant Leap for Mankind in useabilty.

I've decided to offer my services to Jaguar (and other manufacturers) as a Marketing Consultant. My role will be to slap the other Marketing Consultants - repeatedly - until they justify the added utility of their idea over the loss of utility in existing systems...
Back in the day keys worked on clean air and a little muscle and did not require any electrickery

Yes its a neat little trick to have keyless entry and start but I'm not sure that you actually gain any real utility in the end.

mbelanger (04-14-2020)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Back in the day keys worked on clean air and a little muscle and did not require any electrickery

Spare smart key = $250+
Spare real key = $2
Not having to use a technical manual or go online to a forum to use the key = $priceless

The following 7 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ApolloBeachRetiree (03-06-2015), DuhCar (03-04-2015), Ebbie1 (03-11-2018), mbelanger (04-14-2020), no1 (12-04-2022), OzRisk (03-05-2015), RobsnTX (03-11-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

On the other hand, I love never having to take it out of my pocket. Based on my experience with other keyless entry systems, I thought this would be stupid, but got it as part of the premium pack.

Love it. Fob stays in my pocket. Push the little button on the recessed door handle, and it pops out. Open, the door, get in, put your foot on the brake, and push the start button. The nuclear reactor fires up, and it's off to the races.

I think it's a great implementation. Assuming the battery doesn't die...

RobsnTX (03-11-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll try and be a little bit more helpfull than the others, i've very occasionally had it happen to me but only when i dont do the norm, ie open the door and put the fob in the cup holders.
It very occasionally doesn't start if the fob is my pocket or in my hand but 99% of the time it does, not sure this helps.

Tim

Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Could be a wonky interior key sensor.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Oz, have you tried replacing the battery yet?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
I'll try and be a little bit more helpfull than the others, i've very occasionally had it happen to me but only when i dont do the norm, ie open the door and put the fob in the cup holders.
It very occasionally doesn't start if the fob is my pocket or in my hand but 99% of the time it does, not sure this helps.

Tim
One of the main ideas of the Fob is to allow you to keep it in your pocket at all times and I've noticed in past cars that when the battery got low it would not always work as intended. ie: in my pocket for instance. My concern was that if I left it in the cup holder, and the battery was low, it may allow me to lock the door with the key inside.
Also, I went through batteries faster than I thought it should.
Easy to change, most of them have two small coin shaped batteries.
Lawrence.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

Ok. Mystery solved. The answer was... Human factors.

Sometimes I slip my key fob ring over my finger as I'm getting in to the car, usually because I have my phone and wallet in the other to put in to the centre console. So, I get in the car, drop my other stuff in the centre, then reach out to close the door with the hand that's got the fob in it AS I simultaneously put my foot on the brake and press the start button with my free hand.

The car does not detect the fob in the car, so displays the prompt to reposition it.

If I close the door and lock it, and then wait a few seconds, the car resets. Then you unlock it and the car will start normally.

Ta-da!!!

(Ok. Truthfully, feeling a bit silly now.)

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Mulmur (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Again, the problem is the loose nut behind the steering wheel. My vehicles are always succumbing to that flaw.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 jaguar xf

I have a 2015 jaguar xf. When I start it says reposition smart key. I tried everything but it does not start. I took out the battery terminal as Wel . It still does the same. I had the key tested an the key is fine. What could be the problem

Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I would suggest trying the XF forum, rather than a 3 year-old thread in the F-type forum.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical

That's funny

Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Ok. Mystery solved. The answer was... Human factors.

Sometimes I slip my key fob ring over my finger as I'm getting in to the car, usually because I have my phone and wallet in the other to put in to the centre console. So, I get in the car, drop my other stuff in the centre, then reach out to close the door with the hand that's got the fob in it AS I simultaneously put my foot on the brake and press the start button with my free hand.

The car does not detect the fob in the car, so displays the prompt to reposition it.

If I close the door and lock it, and then wait a few seconds, the car resets. Then you unlock it and the car will start normally.

Ta-da!!!

(Ok. Truthfully, feeling a bit silly now.)

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.
Glad you have that resolved. I have to do my research here on the eco button. I lean my hand on it all the time and the car shuts off ( hate when that happens !

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Moral to the story: Keep the Fob in your pocket at all times. (Why ever take it out?)

Quick Reply: Smart key reset