F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015 | 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
To each his own . . . including those who choose to wrap F-Types in purple. :-)
Purple isn't my thing when it comes to car colors, but I like the look... on someone else's car.

As for the Smart Top, I am not sure I'd use it enough to justify the expense. It would probably only get used to reverse the open/close directions and avoid having to keep my finger on the button to cycle the top. That and to show off now and then. But I think it is a cool idea, and I suspect I'll end up getting it at some point for the first two reasons if not the third.

Old 07-20-2015 | 09:20 PM

A huge plus on the one for this car. The instructions are in English. The one I bought for my Benz never made it into the car because the instructions were in German. I think I still have the darned thing around here somewhere. The car itself is long gone. Now that was a waste of $400.

Old 07-20-2015 | 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

There's yet to be an optional feature Foosh likes
I would love to be able to do a remote start. My garage is hot and humid. If I could remote start it and let the A/C blow for a minute or two while I make my way down the elevator it would be a nice feature. I'd pay maybe $200-$300 for it.

The following users liked this post:
alexg (08-05-2015)
Old 07-20-2015 | 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by shift
I would love to be able to do a remote start. My garage is hot and humid. If I could remote start it and let the A/C blow for a minute or two while I make my way down the elevator it would be a nice feature. I'd pay maybe $200-$300 for it.
I have remote start on my wife's Escalade. It is now an essential feature for her. She starts the thing before she gets in to heat it winter, to cool it in summer...if you click it twice in cold weather it even turns on the seat heaters the second time. She absolutely loves it.

Old 07-20-2015 | 10:51 PM

Remote start is part of the Jaguar remote app. Unfortunately, it's only available on 2016 models so far.

Old 07-21-2015 | 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

That's because I'm only into the actual driving.

alexg (08-05-2015)
Old 07-21-2015 | 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
As delivered, the car requires the driver to hold his finger on the button through the entire up or down process. The Smart Top module does not and this raises a potential liability issue since the operator is not in continuous control of the operation. This is why Jag does not include similar functionality as delivered, IMHO.
I totally agree with this, and if it were the only functionality that SmartTop added to the factory programming, I certainly would have passed on it. For me, the SmartTop module adds the ability to change what the windows do after raising or lowering the top. I found it completely unconscionable that Jaguar programmed the car to leave the windows down after raising the roof, and didn't give us any other choice. I can't think of any times I've wanted the top up (after being down) and the windows down. This added even more time to exiting the car after arriving somewhere while I manually raised the windows, and it frustrated me to no end. That's the main reason I got the SmartTop. Everything else was gravy.

Old 07-21-2015 | 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
Remote start is part of the Jaguar remote app. Unfortunately, it's only available on 2016 models so far.
And not available with the 2016 6 speed.

Old 07-21-2015 | 10:12 PM

I have had the Smart Top installed for about 24 hours now. It is extremely desirable and totally unnecessary. I totally disagree with Foosh.

It's a matter of taste. I think that Foosh's Winnebago is undesirable. I prefer taking my unnecessary F-Type, with an unnecessary Smart Top, to an unnecessary 5 star hotel instead of staying in an undesirable Winnebago that has been towed by an undesirable Ford F-350 to an undesirable trailer park.

I'm just messing with you Foosh. It's a matter of taste and perhaps I do not possess any!

alexg (08-05-2015)
Old 07-21-2015 | 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
I have had the Smart Top installed for about 24 hours now. It is extremely desirable and totally unnecessary. I totally disagree with Foosh.

It's a matter of taste. I think that Foosh's Winnebago is undesirable. I prefer taking my unnecessary F-Type, with an unnecessary Smart Top, to an unnecessary 5 star hotel instead of staying in an undesirable Winnebago that has been towed by an undesirable Ford F-350 to an undesirable trailer park.

I'm just messing with you Foosh. It's a matter of taste and perhaps I do not possess any!

Well done, although you got the towing part backwards.

But, it's too bad you won't have the opportunity to pull up to within 20 yards of the ocean in that 5-star hotel.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-21-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2015 | 11:49 PM

I have a 2016 F-type R and tried to install this product. After some difficulty, I contacted the programmer (Stefan - a super nice guy and a very competent programmer) who guided me through various processes for getting the settings the way I like. HOWEVER, it appears that Jaguar programmed the 2016's slightly differently because Stefan was not able to program the remote to open the top. I have the one touch function on the console controller, but he was not able to find the code to enable the remote functionality. For those of you who own a 2016, I would advise waiting on this until he is able to get his hands on a new model to find a solution. If anyone lives in the Las Vegas area and would be willing to allow Stefan access to your car please contact him.

Old 07-22-2015 | 12:05 AM

Just ordered mine today from the SLK store in San Ramon

Can't wait to get it

Old 07-22-2015 | 12:44 AM
|

Wow that was fast, I got it overnight.

Bad planning though I am away for the next two weekends so will be a while before I can install.

Old 07-22-2015 | 08:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

If I had that parked in my side yard, I'd live in that instead of my house! Definitely a different animal than the Winnebagos my folks had in the 70s.

Old 07-22-2015 | 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
If I had that parked in my side yard, I'd live in that instead of my house! Definitely a different animal than the Winnebagos my folks had in the 70s.
We lived in it for a year while we were building a new house and barn out in the country. We loved every minute of it and didn't feel space constrained at all, since it is very luxurious with all the modern conveniences (fireplace, 3 flat screen HDTVs, dishwasher, washer/dryer, residential appliances, 1-1/2 baths, etc.) We kept asking ourselves why we were bothering to build a new house.

Today we use it about once a month and the rest of the time it lives a pampered life inside an HVAC'ed barn.

Old 07-22-2015 | 01:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Living in your barn might still be ahead of living in my house.

Old 07-22-2015 | 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

LOL . . .the barn wasn't bult then either. We lived in very nice campground.

Old 07-23-2015 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

LOL . . .the barn wasn't bult then either. We lived in very nice campground.
Your house on wheels intrigues me Foosh.....sounds like a blast. This has been a lifelong dream of mine, but unfortunately not of my wife, and together we opted for other goodies, which "somewhat filled the void" for me, but this re-ignited the fires in me once again.

Awesome!

Foosh (07-23-2015)
Old 08-05-2015 | 11:52 AM
Default Love it, no issues

I installed 4 months ago, easy and no issues at all. I love that gadget when I park the car and close everything up as I walk away, and I love it even more when I open everything up on my way back to the car on a hot summer day!

Old 08-05-2015 | 04:47 PM
|

Updated firmware and programmed mine via USB yesterday, no dramas at all. Will install this weekend.

Quick Reply: Smart Top