F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015 | 01:25 AM
|

So just installed it in the car. Very straightforward and very clear instructions and best of all it just works. Amazing. Took about 15 minutes and more than half of that was just figuring out where to tuck the wiring in to make sure it stays out of the way.

Crazy that you have to spend $400 on an aftermarket mod to make it do something it should have done in the first place, or at least that a dealer should be able to program. But since it doesn't, it is worth doing.

Now the roof switch works the right way round, it works on one touch and you don't have to hold it down and best of all I can now get in and out of the car in tight car parks with the roof down without having to remove a leg and then close the roof once I'm out.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 08-08-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2015 | 12:07 PM

Sorry to be late to the show on this one. I installed a few weeks ago. I really like it - it took me a bit longer to change some of the defaults via the in-car programming method. Once I got the hang of how to use the switch to toggle between options and settings, it was quite easy.

Installation of device itself was fairly painless - about 15 minutes - hardest part was tucking all the wiring harnesses back in place and getting the cover reattached with the snap in rivet.

I had a difficult time getting the new update to flash. For some reason, my windows PC didn't like the device and it was not allowing me to download with my anti-virus software. I had to use my Mac Book Pro to do it and it was a little more involved, but their instructions were very accurate - it's just more involved than via Windows.

As far as functionality - I love the ability to open and close remotely and most especially the one-touch feature on the console switch. Hated having to hold down or up waiting on the roof to finish its actions. I also switched the direction of the switch to be more intuitive to me - pull back - opens roof - push forward - closes roof. YMMV though on what you prefer. Also have the windows set to open when the roof goes down and close when the roof goes up automatically with both the remote and the in-dash switch.

Old 08-27-2015 | 12:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

That's the same way I have it set up. I find pulling up/back on the switch makes sense to me for lowering the roof, except it operated the other way for my first two years of ownership, so it's still confusing!

Old 08-27-2015 | 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
That's the same way I have it set up. I find pulling up/back on the switch makes sense to me for lowering the roof, except it operated the other way for my first two years of ownership, so it's still confusing!
Dude, I've had the thing for almost exactly 2 years now and I still kept getting it wrong! At least now, I pull/push the button in the direction I want to roof to go - pull back - roof pulls back - push forward/down - roof comes forward.

I'm sure it will take me another 2 years to get that right!

Now if I could only get some frigging miles on this car! It's hideously under-driven and I'm embarrassed about it. Coming onto another winter storage again in about 3 months and the thing has hardly gotten out of the garage this summer - sinful!

Old 08-27-2015 | 01:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I don't have that problem - 21,000 miles and counting.

Old 08-27-2015 | 03:55 PM
|

Yep I have mine set up the same way, it is now all just how it should have been from the factory. Agree that changing settings From the in car controls takes a bit of messing around to get used to but now it is properly set up I can't see myself changing it except to turn it off when it goes to the dealer and back on again afterwards.

Old 08-27-2015 | 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tiger4366
Dude, I've had the thing for almost exactly 2 years now and I still kept getting it wrong! At least now, I pull/push the button in the direction I want to roof to go - pull back - roof pulls back - push forward/down - roof comes forward.

I'm sure it will take me another 2 years to get that right!

Now if I could only get some frigging miles on this car! It's hideously under-driven and I'm embarrassed about it. Coming onto another winter storage again in about 3 months and the thing has hardly gotten out of the garage this summer - sinful!
Just take good care of it. I will be looking for another F-type in a couple of years...

Old 08-27-2015 | 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Yep I have mine set up the same way, it is now all just how it should have been from the factory. Agree that changing settings From the in car controls takes a bit of messing around to get used to but now it is properly set up I can't see myself changing it except to turn it off when it goes to the dealer and back on again afterwards.
It's easier to just pull the module, programming on the computer, then reinstall.

Old 08-28-2015 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Just take good care of it. I will be looking for another F-type in a couple of years...
It's pristine - 2,800 miles - two years old.

Old 08-28-2015 | 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
That's a good point, should I turn it off when going in for service? And, if I do, will it reset everything, or return to my custom settings when I turn it on. I'm afraid to test it and erase my hard work!

Old 08-28-2015 | 09:12 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Most people don't bother to turn it off. I was unable to disable mine, which turned out to be because I had the up/down switch reversed, and didn't have the latest firmware loaded in the Smarttop. (They have fixed that bug in the latest firmware). So, I removed the module when I took it for service, which was also a good opportunity to update the firmware.

Old 08-28-2015 | 08:12 PM
|

Originally Posted by tiger4366
That's a good point, should I turn it off when going in for service? And, if I do, will it reset everything, or return to my custom settings when I turn it on. I'm afraid to test it and erase my hard work!
Smart Top recommend you turn it off when going to the dealer or letting someone else drive it to avoid any potential injury due to unexpected movement of the mechanism. Also from my point of view it reduces the risk of denial of unrelated warranty work if they find an aftermarket module. If you just turn it off and then on it should keep all the settings, however if you are unfamiliar with the button based programming it is easy to accidentally mess up your settings.