F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Smartkey no longer inside vehicle"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my vehicle's been experiencing similar issues. History:
-both keyfobs had difficulty unlocking the car back in September (had to push button harder, or there seemed to be a greater delay in response time from the car). No car battery issues that I could think of.
-keyfob signal weakness got worse in December, and the "Smart Key not detected" came up a few times during driving but disappeared
-last week the car wouldn't respond to both keys for a good 10 minutes, until it at last opened ONCE. The car was able to start without problem, but immediately the "Smart Key not detected" warning came up and didn't disappear. Left car unlocked for fear of this repeating.
-bought the CR2032 Energizer batteries and replaced them (+ side up) today but car doesn't recognize both keys. To start, the fob must be placed close to the footwell
-I'm the second owner and most of the 20,000 KMs put on it wear long road trips (300 km+). Lately it's been driven about twice month for about an hour on the freeway.
-I don't think the battery is weak, but I've read once it is weak, a myriad of electrical issues can start appearing

I read from one of Unhingd's previous posts that the KVM needed to be replaced. I'm expecting a job like this would be in the realm of over $1000. Does anyone have any recommendations prior to going down that route? I've received a few suggestions:
1. Reset by disconnecting battery
2. Have dealer try to reprogram the keys first

If the KVM is replaced, will the new module have the same susceptibility to failure as the previous unit? Does anyone have an idea what the cost would be? The car is a few months out of warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 AM
Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Interesting. I've left my key in my golf bag, put the bag in the trunk, and it then wouldn't let me close the trunk.
I agree, I had my key in the jacket pocket, threw my jacket in the trunk, shut the trunk and the car got mad beeping at me.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitchf00t
Sorry to revive an old thread, but my vehicle's been experiencing similar issues. History:
-both keyfobs had difficulty unlocking the car back in September (had to push button harder, or there seemed to be a greater delay in response time from the car). No car battery issues that I could think of.
-keyfob signal weakness got worse in December, and the "Smart Key not detected" came up a few times during driving but disappeared
-last week the car wouldn't respond to both keys for a good 10 minutes, until it at last opened ONCE. The car was able to start without problem, but immediately the "Smart Key not detected" warning came up and didn't disappear. Left car unlocked for fear of this repeating.
-bought the CR2032 Energizer batteries and replaced them (+ side up) today but car doesn't recognize both keys. To start, the fob must be placed close to the footwell
-I'm the second owner and most of the 20,000 KMs put on it wear long road trips (300 km+). Lately it's been driven about twice month for about an hour on the freeway.
-I don't think the battery is weak, but I've read once it is weak, a myriad of electrical issues can start appearing

I read from one of Unhingd's previous posts that the KVM needed to be replaced. I'm expecting a job like this would be in the realm of over $1000. Does anyone have any recommendations prior to going down that route? I've received a few suggestions:
1. Reset by disconnecting battery
2. Have dealer try to reprogram the keys first

If the KVM is replaced, will the new module have the same susceptibility to failure as the previous unit? Does anyone have an idea what the cost would be? The car is a few months out of warranty.

Thanks in advance!
When it couldn't find the key did you follow the hieroglyphics on the error message and place the key in the key-sized indent on the lower dash by your left knee?

Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
When it couldn't find the key did you follow the hieroglyphics on the error message and place the key in the key-sized indent on the lower dash by your left knee?
You bet, placing the key near and under the left most airway allowed the car to start, but the message persisted and none of the buttons work.
Called the dealer today and they suggested 1.5 - 2 hrs of diagnostics and potentially replacement of keys or key reprogramming.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:59 PM

Update on the problem with the car not responding to the keyfobs:
-dealer diagnosed problem as a fault in the radiofrequency receiver and updated the software for that specific module.
-cause as to why the RF receiver stopped working is unknown
-according to the service advisor, newer software updates by JLR have reduced the need to physically replace modules as was in this case
-total cost was 1 hr of labour with all fees ~$200, fobs function normally again

Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartkey no longer inside

[QUOTE=Uncle Fishbits;1472440]This pops up from time to time, and searched it, to no avail. It's an odd note.... it glitches as says the smart key isn't inside the vehicle, when it, in fact, is in the vehicle. "Press ok".

I press "ok", and voila... a red message alert that a key that is inside the vehicle is not inside the vehicle. It's simply lightly annoying.

But the only reason I felt it worth posting a thread is this:

Does that mean someone could start the car, leave the key somewhere, drive away, get to a destination, and then be stuck? Does the car actually *do* anything when the key isn't inside the vehicle?

Remote unlocking and remote start just seem like it's made for nothing other than sub-zero temps, bravado, or getting your car knicked. LOL

But what's the point of allowing a car to drive away from a key without more than a "press ok". Not sure this thread makes sense to anyone.... =)

[mine just did the same. The key was inside but I was worried that ut would let me drive and also that it wouldnt start again if I stopped.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Yes, I'm quite sure that if you start the car, get out and leave the key somewhere and then drive off, you wouldn't be able to start it again. Solution: don't do that.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

[QUOTE=Sharyn;2389908]
Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This pops up from time to time, and searched it, to no avail. It's an odd note.... it glitches as says the smart key isn't inside the vehicle, when it, in fact, is in the vehicle. "Press ok".

I press "ok", and voila... a red message alert that a key that is inside the vehicle is not inside the vehicle. It's simply lightly annoying.

But the only reason I felt it worth posting a thread is this:

Does that mean someone could start the car, leave the key somewhere, drive away, get to a destination, and then be stuck? Does the car actually *do* anything when the key isn't inside the vehicle?
Every car I've ever owned with a keyless fob behaves the same way if the fob is removed from within the vehicle while the car is running, including the F-Type. You get an alert on the dash, but the vehicle will operate normally. If you shut the vehicle off, you won't be able to restart it until the key comes back into sensor range. If you see this warning on a regular basis even with the fob in the car, it's probably one of these four reasons (in order of likelihood):
  1. RF interference from other devices (cell phone in pocket or near/on top of key can prevent the vehicle from seeing the key)
  2. Low battery in the key fob
  3. Low battery on the vehicle
  4. Problem with the antenna system inside the vehicle that reads the fob's present

The first three you can troubleshoot quite easily.

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 05-11-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

One of my fobs is acting up a bit , have changed the battery but still acting up. Thought it was the cold as if it was left outside in garage when working on car on cold day, it wouldn't work till I warmed it in my pocket for a while, but does it now and again, have the 2 fobs on one key ring now which is a pain. Might try another battery.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Yes, I'm quite sure that if you start the car, get out and leave the key somewhere and then drive off, you wouldn't be able to start it again. Solution: don't do that.
This is practical and sage wisdom. You sound like my dad, whenever I hurt myself and said ow, he said next time try not to do that.

A practical point of this entire conversation that may not have been mentioned is if your key is next to your cell phone, your cell phone signal will block and that is probably 90% of this problem.