F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Cal meet interest for Saturday 12/22 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default So Cal meet interest for Saturday 12/22 anyone?

As the title says. I'm in the 626 area code and wanted to see if anyone was up for a cat gathering that Saturday. Maybe coffee followed by a nice drive somewhere scenic, then lunch? All ideas are welcome.

Dave

Old 12-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Where's my socal peeps!!! 🤗

Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I'm game. I'm not sure which "cat" I'll be driving as my XKR is going in for some paint work after the wind storm of several weeks ago blew an oak tree branch onto my car. But I've been wanting to take my newly returned to me Pantera (my other big cat) out for some fun runs and just haven't had the chance. Do we have a route picked out and a meeting place?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

I assume that since there were no additional responses, that there is no interest for this drive this weekend, and therefore, there will not be any such gathering. Let's hope that after the New Year there's more of an appetite to have one.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:50 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Its holidays, people are just probably busy.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Took a ride out to Malibu Cars and Coffee, yesterday, to meet forum member Ralphwg and to exercise the Pantera in cold morning air (its favorite temperature), and although advertised as open, only 3 cars showed up. So Ralph and I went down Pacific Coast Highway to breakfast at Marmalade Cafe where a large group of Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, Porsches, and Corvettes had convened. Got to park the big cat with some pretty lofty company. It's amazing how fresh the design still is even when in the midst of contemporary supercars, and it was certainly the loudest of the bunch. And Ralph's beautiful XKR 'vert was no slouch either.
Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year. Maybe we'll get a ride together early in the New Year.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:03 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Took a ride out to Malibu Cars and Coffee, yesterday, to meet forum member Ralphwg and to exercise the Pantera in cold morning air (its favorite temperature), and although advertised as open, only 3 cars showed up. So Ralph and I went down Pacific Coast Highway to breakfast at Marmalade Cafe where a large group of Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, Porsches, and Corvettes had convened. Got to park the big cat with some pretty lofty company. It's amazing how fresh the design still is even when in the midst of contemporary supercars, and it was certainly the loudest of the bunch. And Ralph's beautiful XKR 'vert was no slouch either.
Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year. Maybe we'll get a ride together early in the New Year.
Hey Ted, I would have made it 4 in my rental if I were in the area, LOL. I never knew there was a Marmalade in Malibu. When I'm in Calabasas, Marmalade is my go to restaurant. What a great ride through the Canyon to Malibu from Calabasas. Your Pantera sounds like a lot of fun. You and Ralph have me envious. Cheers and the best to you and Ralph over Christmas and the New Year.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Glen,
The Marmalade in Calabasas is less than three minutes from my office building, so I frequent it quite a bit. The Malibu location is just down the road from where Cars and Coffee is held. Taking the Pantera through the canyon for this first time in nearly five years (just got it back after a restoration/modification) was still a little nerve wracking as I keep expecting something to break down. But, the 50F morning cold is the best type of temperature to run the finicky cooling system (or lack thereof) of the Pantera, so everything was just fine, much to my relief. When you're out next, Ralph and I would love to get together, and you can take the Pantera out for a little spin. Bring earplugs, it's that loud. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope to see you soon.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:30 AM

I'm curious to know why your Pantera is "that loud" 🤔 I have a 351c 72 Torino that I'm getting ready to build in the next month or two.

Dave

Old 12-25-2018, 07:37 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Your Pantera, Ted, is a really cool looking ride. It must have been a special car when new and the survivors over time should be rewarding in more ways than one.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,
I don't know specifically why it's so loud, however, they were always loud from the beginning, and once we added headers, a new exhaust system with less restrictive mufflers, the fact that the length of the exhaust from the mid-engine placement is so very short,to the rear mufflers and that this 351C was built to over 500hp might all contribute to its loudness. When I can get my son to take some video and audio clips done, I'll upload them.
You Torino project sounds great, love those old cars. My first car was a '69 Mercury Cougar with a 351W. The amazing thing about the 351C is the tremendous amount of torque on call, just endless. I can take off in 5th gear without problem, and when I have been on the track with the Pantera in the past, I virtually never take the car out of third gear as the shifter is so notchy, you just don't want to be bothered trying to quick shift it. Good luck with your build. We have just started rebuilding/restoring my '68 GTO, can't wait to cruise around in that thing. Just sitting in the driver's seat looking out over the big hood scoop and hood mounted tach bulges (without even moving) is more exciting that any contemporary car being made.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.