F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And so it continues... Dealer work and now SC rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:21 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default And so it continues... Dealer work and now SC rotor

I took the MY2017 base/premium, manual trans, @ 32,000 to the dealer this past Dec. for a few end of warranty items... the gas cap tether had snapped. I used info from this site to get the SC oil and belts changed (JLR tells techs it's sealed/good for 100,000, blah, blah), but he went with the owner experience I provided, as well as changing out the flanged coolant pipes and the water pump. All the parts finally came in and he finished the car early this week. He was dismayed to hear a SC noise, which he described as a rotor noise. He is not interested in a repair 'kit' so ordered a whole new SC, and says it should be under warranty, since they had the project underway before my warranty ended 3/31/2022. (OMG, new SC is $3800)

What experience do all of you have with this rotor thing? I kinda understand what it is and does, any others have replaced this part or had it replaced?

Old 04-27-2022, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I haven't heard much on the forum about your SC issue. But, overall, I'd say you win a prize for getting so much stuff done/covered at the end of your warranty period.
Well done!

The following users liked this post:
Mark7Seven (05-04-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I took the MY2017 base/premium, manual trans, @ 32,000 to the dealer this past Dec. for a few end of warranty items... the gas cap tether had snapped. I used info from this site to get the SC oil and belts changed (JLR tells techs it's sealed/good for 100,000, blah, blah), but he went with the owner experience I provided, as well as changing out the flanged coolant pipes and the water pump. All the parts finally came in and he finished the car early this week. He was dismayed to hear a SC noise, which he described as a rotor noise. He is not interested in a repair 'kit' so ordered a whole new SC, and says it should be under warranty, since they had the project underway before my warranty ended 3/31/2022. (OMG, new SC is $3800)

What experience do all of you have with this rotor thing? I kinda understand what it is and does, any others have replaced this part or had it replaced?
Sorry to hear about your issues. So you didn’t have this sound prior to dropping off your car but after they did the work you requested, this noise pop up?

It seems like a lot of the jag dealership service centers have been going above and beyond to do warrenty work for F type owners. They get reimbursed by JLR and you get a new part on your car but in the process other issues pop up and you end up coming back to and spending more money/time to fix the follow up issues.

I can’t speak to your exact issue and the legitimacy but I am interested in hearing how this works out and if you end up with more issues. Sorry if this comes off as a conspiracy theory but it seems like a trend with many jag dealership service centers.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:03 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I haven't heard much on the forum about your SC issue. But, overall, I'd say you win a prize for getting so much stuff done/covered at the end of your warranty period.
Well done!
Couldn't agree more, standing ovation. Additionally, this offsets the goof up the forum board currently talking about doing the VAP tune and all the other stuff to his leased R car and then complaining about JLR when they didn't cover him blowing up his automatic trans under warranty.

Jagauf (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Default Thank you!

I do appreciate your kind thoughts on my efforts to get things accomplished, but I have to thank all that participate in this forum for the research and documentation that I used to get this stuff done. Especially historically, as much due diligence as I thought I had done prior to buying this car, it wasn't until after I bought it that I found the Saga of the Clutch. It was your input and participation and posts that allowed me to find that the selling dealer, who had been upfront on replacing the clutch, had indeed put in the correct, 4th G unit.

As for the 'conspiracy theory'... they work on your car and then s**t happens/breaks and you end up coming in and spending more money... I can see how that could happen but after awhile, someone would put it together and cry foul/lawsuit. I have had such a great experience with my service writer and the JLR tech, I would be sorely disappointed and discouraged to find out that they had conspired to screw me over.

To answer the question, no, I don't think the car was making any untoward noise before I took it in this past December. That said, I had a 74 TR-6 that I was taking to the inde shop I used for a clutch replacement.. it was nip n tuck the whole 35 miles there as I babied that clutch as much as I could to keep going. Got there OK and pulled into the bay onto the lift and shut the car off. At that point the water pump started leaking. The tech asked me if I was po'd... no way, I said, what a perfect place to have it go out! and I had no indication prior that the WP was giving it up. Same with my E, it was in the shop for something else, getting ready for a pretty big road tour and the clutch slave went out. I think sometimes the coincidence of having something go bad on a car after recently exiting service work does make one think that someone foobahed the car.

I am new to the supercharger world, but from what I understand, I asked that the SC oil be changed and had those coolant pipes replaced. Did the SC have to come out for the coolant pipe replacement? That I do not know. The SC oil is sucked out much the same way the engine oil is removed.. could the rotor have been damaged in that process? I will have to research Eaton SC anatomy to get an idea where that part is. Perhaps the rotor was on the cusp of giving it up and wisely decided to do so while in JLR care. My same E decided to give up his brake booster while still in my driveway, not out on the road somewhere, and his Pertronix crapped out right in town here, 2 miles from home, rather than on a busy road, miles away. I have always told my cars that I will give them the best care and parts, and for that, no leaving me high and dry somewhere, so perhaps this is a positive form of payback.

So the tech emailed me yesterday to say that the car wouldn't be done this week and the new SC is due in Friday. I will definitely post the rest of the story. This car is a big deal for me and if they messed it up, they are going to have one seriously angry Old Chicago Pollack on their cases.

The following 3 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
George05 (04-28-2022), scm (04-27-2022), walko789 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

"Did the SC have to come out for the coolant pipe replacement?"

Yes.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

+1. Yes the SC must be removed for the pipe replacement. Also they may not have reinstalled the sound deadening material the is on both sides of the SC. Given I don’t know what kind of a noise you heard it’s hard to speculate, but when that material is removed you most definitely hear the whine of the supercharger much more pronounced. Of course your sound may be something entirely different as I’ve not heard of a rotor noise but their has been discussions I recall about other SC parts. Good luck and I hope they come through with the warranty SC.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Also, these Eaton TVS SCs have twin rotors that's what TVS stands for, Twin Vortices Series.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:32 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Valerie, my jag is still under extended warranty and would like the coolant pipes under the SC replaced. Your dealer under warranty replaced the SC oil, water pump, and coolant pipes when no leakage was present as a preventative measure. I'm happily surprised that your dealer is on top of known issues and will rectify them I hope here in the NY/NJ area we have the same response. It's true what people say and I know firsthand our neighbors out west are wonderful to do business with. I last visited Wisconsin by motorcycle in '98. Well done.
cheers
Frank

Old 04-28-2022, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Good luck Valerie, keep us informed if any thing we can help you with , just ask . George

Old 04-28-2022, 07:55 PM

Again, I do have to give credit where credit is due and that credit belongs to this forum. I would not have known about the coolant pipes except for reading about the issues with the 'original' style in this forum. I printed off the factual instances that owners reported as well as photos/diagrams of the problem pipes. It was the forum's work that I presented to the tech that probably turned the tide. He was at first in the "if it ain't broke' camp, but after going through what I sent, he came to see the point. Similar thing with the SC oil. JLR tells techs the SC is a sealed unit good for 100,000 miles. Again, research, documentation from this forum from OWNERS who had a different story to tell. The tech had a SC that he had taken out identical to what is in the F. He found the plug and see how the oil could be removed. This was an easier job to convince him as he admitted to being 'old school' and doesn't agree with the practice of "leave the oil in forever' . I am paying for the two SC belts, which is OK with me. Another detail was the blue ambient door lighting in the car doors and the grab handle. I read that thread about getting those lights to go on. I could see the LED strips in there. Once more, OWNER posts, photos and documentation provided me with what I needed to help the tech figure it out. I look at it as a Win Win... he fixes what's amiss on my car and then he knows WAY more when someone else comes in with the same problem.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, hopefully the new SC arrives and I will know more next week.

Thank you all for your well-wishes and I will be sure to post an update.... sure would be nice to have the car back... I'm reduced to driving the 2018 Corvette...... yeah, I know, croc tears!! LOL

DJS (05-05-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Again, I do have to give credit where credit is due and that credit belongs to this forum. I would not have known about the coolant pipes except for reading about the issues with the 'original' style in this forum. I printed off the factual instances that owners reported as well as photos/diagrams of the problem pipes. It was the forum's work that I presented to the tech that probably turned the tide. He was at first in the "if it ain't broke' camp, but after going through what I sent, he came to see the point. Similar thing with the SC oil. JLR tells techs the SC is a sealed unit good for 100,000 miles. Again, research, documentation from this forum from OWNERS who had a different story to tell. The tech had a SC that he had taken out identical to what is in the F. He found the plug and see how the oil could be removed. This was an easier job to convince him as he admitted to being 'old school' and doesn't agree with the practice of "leave the oil in forever' . I am paying for the two SC belts, which is OK with me. Another detail was the blue ambient door lighting in the car doors and the grab handle. I read that thread about getting those lights to go on. I could see the LED strips in there. Once more, OWNER posts, photos and documentation provided me with what I needed to help the tech figure it out. I look at it as a Win Win... he fixes what's amiss on my car and then he knows WAY more when someone else comes in with the same problem.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, hopefully the new SC arrives and I will know more next week.

Thank you all for your well-wishes and I will be sure to post an update.... sure would be nice to have the car back... I'm reduced to driving the 2018 Corvette...... yeah, I know, croc tears!! LOL
Valerie, there is only one SC belt, the other belt is the serpentine belt for the coolant pump, alternator and AC compressor.
It makes some sense to replace both belts as both would have been removed for the work that was done, although if this work was all covered by warranty it seems a bit rich to ask you to pay for new belts.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:03 AM

Thank you for the correction on the belts. I guess I could whine about being charged for them, but at less than $100 for the two (that's what they asked me to authorize) I am not at that point. They did all this other warranty work, all the coolant pipes, the water pump, SC oil change and now a new SC. The coolant pipes weren't leaking, at least that I could see, but based on the info I gave the tech, he took JLR on and did it under warranty. Things are really tough in the auto industry right now. I look at it as a compromise of sorts. I have given little, IMO, but have received lots. I want to be considered a good customer, not some nit-picky, whiny, we-can-never-satisfy grouch. For the past year and a half that I have been working with them, I have no reason to doubt their sincerity. Maybe if I was still in Chicago, but out here in Civilized Wisconsin (Appleton/Oshkosh), a bad dealer/service will spread like wildfire. It's a fairly large dealership, imports, Audi, Maserati, Porsche, Mercedes, VW, BMW. Of course as they say, "it's not over until the fat man sings", so maybe my perception will change after I get the car back.

Mbourne (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Valerie - You did well. Belts are cheap, as you said, and the labor was free. Plus, you'd have been due to replace them before long, anyway. Enjoy your toy!

Old 04-29-2022, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Good response from the dealer and glad they took care of you!
Now I call BS on the "rotor noise" but hey he gave you a new SC so heck yes it's rotor noise for sure!!

Just a note but the TVS blowers are beyond reliable. I think he was hearing snout noises which are 100% going to happen. It's interesting because when the Cadillac CTS-V was first released GM had a rash of SC problems and they made a decision to not repair but only replace the entire SC. Well they replaced so many SC's that they backed up and started replacing the snout after a year or so of doing this. There was such a glut of used SC's because of this that GM started selling the returned units very cheaply!

I have attached GM's extension of the TVS SC warranty. Note two things. GM replaced the entire SC when the snout started rattling. Also note that GM states in this "special Coverage" document that they installed a SOLID SC coupler as the fix.

Attached Files
Old 04-29-2022, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Good response from the dealer and glad they took care of you!
Now I call BS on the "rotor noise" but hey he gave you a new SC so heck yes it's rotor noise for sure!!

Just a note but the TVS blowers are beyond reliable. I think he was hearing snout noises which are 100% going to happen. It's interesting because when the Cadillac CTS-V was first released GM had a rash of SC problems and they made a decision to not repair but only replace the entire SC. Well they replaced so many SC's that they backed up and started replacing the snout after a year or so of doing this. There was such a glut of used SC's because of this that GM started selling the returned units very cheaply!

I have attached GM's extension of the TVS SC warranty. Note two things. GM replaced the entire SC when the snout started rattling. Also note that GM states in this "special Coverage" document that they installed a SOLID SC coupler as the fix.
Much the same for the SC worn coupler rattle on Jags, the JLR warranty fix (JTB00356NAS2) is to replace the whole snout not just the coupler.
I believe this is because a badly worn coupler can also gouge the snout shaft so they replace it anyway.
But AFAIK JLR didn't/don't replace the coupler with a solid version they still use one with a spring but a revised/improved version such that the spring doesn't cut into the plastic of the coupler or the shaft.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:49 PM
Default Friday update

The SC came today and tech believes it will be all in Monday, ready to test. I did ask what he thought caused the failure. His only guess was some rusted pins that gave him trouble when trying to get the OE SC out, that perhaps the effort somehow damaged it. Whatever, known fact that SC was functional before this, and they are replacing it. So far, so good, Monday will tell.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

The SC came today and tech believes it will be all in Monday, ready to test. I did ask what he thought caused the failure. His only guess was some rusted pins that gave him trouble when trying to get the OE SC out, that perhaps the effort somehow damaged it. Whatever, known fact that SC was functional before this, and they are replacing it. So far, so good, Monday will tell.
Yep, many reports from owners who have done DIY SC removal of those SC mounting/alignment pins being rusty and causing the SC to be a real PITA to get off.
Gets me to wondering if it could be leaked coolant getting to the pins and causing them to corrode seeing as a common reason to remove the SC is to replace leaking/split coolant hoses.

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-29-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Unhappy Tuesday, May 2 SuperCharger update

UGH, so this just went from bad to bad. The "new" SC that was delivered on Friday, Tech emailed me and his words "WORSE than the one I took out". A second replacement was supposed to be there today, Tuesday, so we'll see where that goes. I did ask about warranty on the replacement and he said a year. will verify and get it in writing. Did these SCs get used in Fords? I read somewhere that Ford just replaced all their bad SCs even if it was just a bad part and then had all the bad ones refurbed.. maybe I got a refurb sold as 'new'???????? That poor car.. and all I wanted was the SC oil changed......

Old 05-03-2022, 04:02 PM

I'll bet you're right about the coolant pipes and the SC pins. I'm thinking there must have been a small leak or perhaps just the start of one, not enough to make a mess on the floor or show as low coolant, but it got to those pins. I think the tech must have seen something when he started in on that job that maybe wasn't visible until he took a part or two off... no argument about replacing the pipes. Just glad I pushed that. Flanged pipes.. a recipe for disaster.

Quick Reply: And so it continues... Dealer work and now SC rotor