Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And so it continues... Dealer work and now SC rotor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
UGH, so this just went from bad to bad. The "new" SC that was delivered on Friday, Tech emailed me and his words "WORSE than the one I took out". A second replacement was supposed to be there today, Tuesday, so we'll see where that goes. I did ask about warranty on the replacement and he said a year. will verify and get it in writing. Did these SCs get used in Fords? I read somewhere that Ford just replaced all their bad SCs even if it was just a bad part and then had all the bad ones refurbed.. maybe I got a refurb sold as 'new'???????? That poor car.. and all I wanted was the SC oil changed......
Unless things have changed the warranty on all repairs performed expire when the vehicle warranty ends. There is no spare parts warranty as you are not actually paying for this work. You should clarify this with the dealer.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

I'm not absolutely certain, but I don't think that SC was used on the Ford side. But, it's still entirely possible that you got a rebuilt unit. We do the same thing in the computer industry. For us, at least, the repair person has visibility to whether the part is new vs used, so you could ask your mechanic. The quality of a rebuild can be fine, but it depends on the vendor who does the work. (And a bad one can create a whole pile of....) .

Old 05-03-2022, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

UGH, so this just went from bad to bad. The "new" SC that was delivered on Friday, Tech emailed me and his words "WORSE than the one I took out". A second replacement was supposed to be there today, Tuesday, so we'll see where that goes. I did ask about warranty on the replacement and he said a year. will verify and get it in writing. Did these SCs get used in Fords? I read somewhere that Ford just replaced all their bad SCs even if it was just a bad part and then had all the bad ones refurbed.. maybe I got a refurb sold as 'new'???????? That poor car.. and all I wanted was the SC oil changed......
Yep, it appears that the Ford supercharger is also an Eaton TVS, in the case of the Mustang the TVS R2650 (bigger even than the SC on the Jag V8), see here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6066-M8
Also it seems the most common problem with the Ford superchargers is the same as that with the Jag superchargers, the coupler/torsion isolator, see this thread over on a Ford forum: https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/20...ailure.196680/.
Not surprising as Eaton supply the same superchargers with the same couplers in them across a range of cars.
I didn't see any mention of a recall or warranty replacement but I didn't read the whole thread.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-03-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yes the TVS series of blowers are more than common as OzXfr said. They are very reliable and come in several different sizes. The 1900 version which is on the 5.0L Jaguar V-8 is also used on the CTS-V. It would be great if the 2300/2650 version could be adapted to our engines.

The power increase would be massive!

Old 05-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Mostly good, but not all

So the adventure that started back in Dec. of 2021 seems to be coming to a close. The second SC that shipped was installed and all is good. I retrieved the car this past Thursday, 5/5. All in all, I have to say that my service writer and tech did well for me. I brought it in with some knowns: the gas cap tether had snapped and the switch for operating the spoiler for cleaning didn't work. The CEL was on with "performance reduced". The other work I asked for was a push. My F is a MY2017 and by its VIN, it is right at the cusp of some engineering changes to fix stuff that went bad on prior cars. Number 1 was the coolant/Y pipes that had the flanges and a suspicious history of leaking, bad enough, then the resultant damage to other parts. I asked to have those replaced. I also had read here about changing the SuperCharger oil and with a 5 year old car, probably time, even though JLR maintained that the SC was sealed and good for 100,000 miles.
So the good part is, I got all new coolant pipes, the updated style as well as a new water pump, as that is, as I was told, part of the 'kit' for replacing that whole flanged pipe mess. The SC had to come out for that work and the tech found that it had rusted mounting pins. I don't know how serious that is, but when the car was put back together, the SC was making a racket. New SC ordered. That one came, also made a racket, so a second was ordered and installed. That is the good one. The CEL was due to a bad PCV, also replaced, spoiler switch replaced as well as the gas cap. The car was due for new spark plugs, and of ALL of this work, that is the only thing that I was asked to pay for! Also got new SC belt and serpentine belt. Yes, they had the car 5 months, but I would have had it stored most of that anyway. The only thing that kept this whole thing from coming out perfectly is that the CEL came back on, and I think it's due to the wrong gas cap. Owners manual says it needs to click once and the other OE caps I have looked at, all have wording on them to that effect. The cap on there now doesn't and it doesn't click either. I just went ahead and ordered one that 'fits my car' supposedly, for $35 after all the dealer did, this is penny ante.
Still to work on is an intermittent noise that I think is coming from the right side door. It sounds like plastic hitting something, flapping on something, like an electrical pigtail.. I think air moving through the door is doing it, if that is even possible. I've contemplated taking the door panel off myself, and watched the how-to videos, but will have to drum up a bit more courage to take that on.
Thanks to all for your words of encouragement, and I did do a walk-around on the car before I took it home, no nicks, chips scratches, or damage to exterior or interior. I asked about the warranty on the parts and their policy is "on new parts that they put in, it's one year, unlimited mileage". So that would cover the switch, the SC, the water pump, the coolant pipes, PCV. I do have to say that not all JLR dealers can be lumped together as bad, because my experience with this dealer is about as good as it gets.

The following 4 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
Carbuff2 (05-08-2022), DJS (05-07-2022), George05 (05-08-2022), uncheel (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 01:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

... gas cap. Owners manual says it needs to click once and the other OE caps I have looked at, all have wording on them to that effect.
I don't know about click once but mine has to click lots of times to get that wording the right way up! It upsets me to see it upside-down ....

Last edited by scm; 05-08-2022 at 03:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 281 Posts

Great to hear all is now good Valerie

Old 05-08-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear all the good repairs.
I did not see that the rear water manifold was changed when the SC was off? This is another failure prone bit of plastic that will need to be replaced at some time.
Hard if not impossible with the SC on.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:41 AM
Default Rear water manifold

Nope, not replaced, didn't even know about it. Hope it doesn't become an issue. Whatever, I have a "self insure" bank account for any future car work that the F may need. It's a car, doo-doo happens.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
DJS (05-08-2022), Mbourne (05-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:43 AM
Default Update on the Great Parts Adventure

Thanks to all of you who provided insight and assistance with the adventure that I started with this thread.

Here is the update, as I now have the invoice/service write up, all 7 pages. Service writer said that all parts they put on have 1 year/unl. mileage warranty. Need to get that in writing.

1. Check Engine Light (CEL) came on last fall, that turned out to be a PCV Valve failure codes P2189-00 P2187-00, part C2D60163 (kit) replaced under warranty.
2. CEL then came on right after I got the car back in May, 2022, that turned out to be "old fuel"
3.64,000 mile service (car has 33,000 miles, but is 5+ years old (oil, oil filter, cabin filter, both air cleaner elements, done under warranty
4. Gas cap tether snapped, new one installed, under warranty, part T2H46581
5. The console switch to raise/lower spoiler for cleaning was replaced (manual trans car, spoiler raised at 70 MPH OK) part T2R23283, replaced under warranty
6. Old Style coolant pipes, determined to be starting to leak, replaced with "kit" which included new water pump. Replaced under warranty
7. Had to take out Supercharger for coolant pipe replacement, asked to have SC oil replaced, that was done, but when original SC was reinstalled it had the MarblesInaCan disease and it was replaced with new SC. SC part AJ814867, and some gaskets.
8. New spark plugs and install which I was asked to pay for. I know others have had this included in a NC warranty service, but was not about to P&M about $300 for all this other work done under warranty.
9. Plastick-y noise that I thought was in right/passenger door I now believe to be coming from under pass/right side seat. Moving the seat back and forth disrupts the noise, so I bought those black foam strips for stuffing between window sashes for insulation when window AC is used and stuffed those under passenger/right seat. Noise diminished, still need to fine tune that.
10. Tech also inspected underbody bracing and engine mounts, no issues.

DJS (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:07 AM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Valerie great to see all is good and your jag is ready to be enjoyed. What was the issue with your dealer, jag brought in December 21 and delivered in May 22? Was it warranty approval, parts availability, supply chain or Covid, sick employees. Curious minds would like to know. You have a wonderful summer with your jag, plenty of driving experiences to be enjoyed. I’m driving to the finger lakes later this month, great roads, great food and great friends, one in a cayman, one in a 73 TR6.
Cheers
Frank

Old 06-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Default No issue with local dealer

The car is a MY2017, built, I think, late 2016. It was delivered to the original JLR dealer/ lessee in March of 2017. It was turned back to the leasing co in early 2020. The dealer I bought it from was a high end sports car dealer, Chicago area... mostly Lotus. I had the Carfax on the car, no accidents, but only showing one service, for an oil change at 16,000 miles. (24,000 when I bought it). The car had 18 months of factory warranty left on it.
I had been on these forums a few years ago, but joined up again when in August of 2020 I started looking for an F type manual in earnest. The day I bought the car and brought it home, I was getting 'drive more, your battery isn't up to charge' messages. I intended to make an appt for the car ASAP anyway, as I knew there were probably updates and such. That battery message turned out to be a dying battery and it was replaced Dec. 2020 under warranty.

I stored the car over the winter of 20/21 and since I intended to store it 21/22, I just told the dealer when I brought it in with my 'laundry' list to work on it. So they would fit it in as time was available and chip away at the list items. I think the thing that took the longest was whatever had to be 'negotiated' with JLR for the coolant pipe issue. I had told the dealer that I would pay for the SC oil to be changed, but once the tech got it out, saw the coolant 'seep' at that point, it became a warranty issue for all the parts I described. There may have been parts delivery delays, but I wasn't in a hurry to get the car back until the weather improved here in Wisconsin. The only part issue I was aware of was for the replacement of the original SC. The first replacement sent was worse than the original and so a second was shipped. That one turned out to be good.

And, update after this morning's drive on the plasticky noise.... It may have been a plastic barreled pen that I found alongside one of the seat rails.. how did I miss that after major cleaning and underseat inspection. Will take the car out later today and will know if that was indeed the source of the noise.

Hope this helps,

Old 06-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks Valerie for your quick response, I appreciate your comments as they help all of us to better know the issues we may experience. Hopefully I will not have the coolant leakage or SC snout marbles, but I’m better off knowing about them. We always have new members who just purchased their jag and this forum and members have the answers.
Cheers
Frank

Old 06-08-2022, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Frank please be prepared as those two items are almost guaranteed to go bad. Now you are aware just keep checking the fluid levels so they don't turn into a engine destroying problem. There is progress being made and the release of several aftermarket Aluminum cooling parts is a GREAT start!

The SC snout noise is more of an annoyance as it generally does not damage anything beyond the coupler/snout. This is also easy to detect. Open the car door while the engine is running. Shut off the radio and listen to the engine as it shuts down. The snout noise is pretty easy to hear. Many videos with the noise posted too. If that will help?

Old 06-08-2022, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Old Style coolant pipes, determined to be starting to leak, replaced with "kit" which included new water pump.
Valerie,

They didn't note any part number for that 'kit'?

Or was it just a "while we are in there" repair?

Old 06-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

[QUOTE=Valerie Stabenow;2532563]Thanks to all of you who provided insight and assistance with the adventure that I started with this thread.

Here is the update, as I now have the invoice/service write up, all 7 pages. Service writer said that all parts they put on have 1 year/unl. mileage warranty. Need to get that in writing.

I am glad to see JLR changed the warranty policy on parts replaced when the car is under warranty. In the past anything replaced under warranty was only covered as long as the car is in warranty. You need to have them show it to you in writing.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:08 PM
Default Coolant Pipe repl components

So here is a scan of what was put in for the coolant pipe replacement. It appears that the SuperCharger oil and the Supercharger are both listed.

Attached Thumbnails And so it continues... Dealer work and now SC rotor-coolantp2.jpg  
Carbuff2 (06-09-2022)