F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how much does a manual transmission impact value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 09:38 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default So how much does a manual transmission impact value?

I have a 2017 F-Type S convertible that I placed a custom order for way back at the beginning of 2016. Among other things, I got it with a manual transmission. I know when it comes to F-Types the manual transmission is a pretty rare option and I've seen them sell for significantly more than like F-Types with automatic transmissions. After having it for eight years, I'm going to get a new car. I'm open to selling it directly to another individual or trading it in on a new car. I did a search on AutoTrader to get an idea of the current asking prices, but there is literally not a single manual transmission F-Type listed in the entire United States. When I remove the manual transmission selection, 589 are available. Does anyone have an idea of how much a manual transmission impacts the value of an F-Type in the current market?

Old 01-26-2024, 02:08 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

Check post 16 here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...type-s-244621/

I bought my MY2017 in Oct of 2020. Amazed that it had sat at selling dealer for 3 months, but maybe that was due to COVID. As written elsewhere, check BAT sales results. For consideration,, Hagerty valuation guide indicates deducting 10% for an Etype with an automatic, so perhaps adding 10% for an F with manual may make sense. A place to start?? With the few manuals made , and considering how many of them may still be on the road, if I were to offer mine, I would add 20%. Mine has the 4th G clutch and about 15K miles on that clutch. It is only the 6 cyl. but has the panoramic roof, the 770 meridian, the Vision package and the auto climate package. You could start out trying to sell it here, no cost to you, any BAT - type site or dealer will cost you.
If you scroll down a bit in that post, there is a reply that lists several websites for car sales. I watch those, too and did see 1 or 2 currently, but this may not be the time of year for folks to sell

Last edited by Valerie Stabenow; 01-26-2024 at 02:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HermanWiegman (01-30-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

It sounds like you're hoping the a MT will bring a premium. But, I doubt it.

The "good news" is that you have a rarer version of the (already fairly rare) F-Type.
The "bad news" is that it's rarer because there weren't many people willing to buy one (more hands-on control, but slower off the line).

I doubt many in the used market are aware of the early clutch issues, but it won't help, even though that eventually got straightened out.

You might have to look further afield for comps. I found a MY18 on cars.com for $26,795 - priced below all of the MY17-MY18 automatics. There's also BAT, Cargurus, eBay Motors, etc. Some will also show you previous listings/sales.

My suggestion would be to price it at what you feel is reasonable, even if you use Auto's as comps. You might list it in more than 1 spot, including the forum Marketplace.
Then, sit back and be very patient. The good news (again) is that you only need one buyer. They just have to find you.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2024, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
The "bad news" is that it's rarer because there weren't many people willing to buy one (more hands-on control, but slower off the line).
That is one reason. However, the primary reason there are so few is that they didn't offer a manual transmission when the car debuted and for several years thereafter. Then, once they did, they were only offered for two years before Jaguar stopped making them. My guess is that Jaguar's trouble with the clutch coupled with low quantity just made it not worth it. Add to this the fact that few dealerships would bring in a manual transmission car unless it was special ordered. If they had offered a manual from the beginning through now and stocked them, there would be far more F-Types with manual transmissions in the pool of cars available for sale. Differences in sale prices that I've seen in the past confirm that the MT cars do go for more. Of course, that was then and this is now. Autotrader and CarGurus literally have over 500 F-Types showing nationwide, but not one with a MT. That's a thin market!

Old 01-26-2024, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
That is one reason. However, the primary reason there are so few is that they didn't offer a manual transmission when the car debuted and for several years thereafter. Then, once they did, they were only offered for two years before Jaguar stopped making them. My guess is that Jaguar's trouble with the clutch coupled with low quantity just made it not worth it. Add to this the fact that few dealerships would bring in a manual transmission car unless it was special ordered. If they had offered a manual from the beginning through now and stocked them, there would be far more F-Types with manual transmissions in the pool of cars available for sale. Differences in sale prices that I've seen in the past confirm that the MT cars do go for more. Of course, that was then and this is now. Autotrader and CarGurus literally have over 500 F-Types showing nationwide, but not one with a MT. That's a thin market!
Not planning to purchase a MT version (quite happy with my AT), but if I were I would be concerned about the clutch issue and wondering given the limited number of MTs just how long those parts might be available in the future.
Not clear to me it commands a premium. Afterall, wasn't it less expensive when new?

Old 01-26-2024, 04:11 PM
Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

People who want a manual transmission generally want that pretty strongly. I own one, and never considered buying an auto. Given that the 6MT is rare, it can be hard to find a car that also meets a shopper's other "wants" for color, equipment, mileage, etc. Like others have said, the price premium depends on how hard it is at the time you are trying to sell it to find an MT car that meets all the shopper's criteria. Whether or not you've had the gen 4 clutch installed is a factor though.

I agree with Valerie that, with patience, you can find a buyer willing to pay 10% to 20% more for a 6MT. I've read posters here talking about looking for the perfect 6MT for a year. Catch that person and they will pay the premium. My guess is that this forum is the best place to find the buyer you want. I bought mine here. BaT is also a good place to find a manual enthusiast. Shoppers on the other sites are less likely to crave a manual.

Personally, I think the 6MT will hold more value than an equivalent automatic in the long run due to the rarity.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael211:
Carbuff2 (01-27-2024), VroomForTwo (01-29-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Afterall, wasn't it less expensive when new?
No. It was the same price. Back in the day the manual transmission cars cost less, but that seems to have changed. My 2014 BWM 435i cost the same with the manual transmission as it would have with an automatic. Speaking of that car, the transmission is the same as the one that's in the F-Type. Therefore, getting parts for the transmission shouldn't be an issue. The clutch is different of course and is a whole different story.

Originally Posted by Michael211
People who want a manual transmission generally want that pretty strongly.
This is the case with me. I only buy MT cars. When I first saw an F-Type, I knew that I had to have one. Then I found out that they were not offered with a MT. I gave up after a couple of years and bought the BMW 435i. When the F-Type started being made with a MT, I was on it like a fly on poop.

BTW, I'm not sure if mine has the 4th generation clutch or not, but it's on its third clutch and has been doing fine for about 20k.

I'm looking at ordering a BMW M2 (with a MT of course), so I would have a few months to sell the F-Type.

Last edited by Bret_T; 01-26-2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:01 PM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm old enough to remember that for decades in the US, an automatic was a cost option over a manual (usually in the $500-$2500 range, depending on make/model). Then, as the cost of automatic transmissions came down and technology improved, they were on cost parity with each other and you could usually order a car either way for the same cost. Eventually, as automatics became cheaper and faster (manuals used to *always* be faster than autos because of the sloppy/lethargic torque converters in automatics) and manuals became rarer, it was a cost option for a manual--which is where many manufacturers are today. It's a shame, but for once the government had no real hand in this (other than mandating better fuel economy, which was easier to guarantee in an automatic) and the market chose automatics over manuals and so that's where we're at.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
HermanWiegman (02-07-2024), Portlander (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-27-2024, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

That is one reason. However, the primary reason there are so few is that they didn't offer a manual transmission when the car debuted and for several years thereafter. Then, once they did, they were only offered for two years before Jaguar stopped making them. My guess is that Jaguar's trouble with the clutch coupled with low quantity just made it not worth it. Add to this the fact that few dealerships would bring in a manual transmission car unless it was special ordered.
Four years (2016-19), but otherwise I agree. The press test cars generated pretty much universal complaints on the clutch, but some attributed that to abuse by the motoring press. My car was the first MT delivered through my dealer, but given that I had a deposit down two days after the announced availability that's not surprising. They got at least one other but it sat for some time. I heard somewhere the "take rate" on the 6MT was about 5%. I haven't researched that since I have no intent to sell, and when I was buying I had already made my choice.

And yes, the first generation clutch really was that bad.

No. It was the same price. Back in the day the manual transmission cars cost less, but that seems to have changed.
My recollection is contrary to that, but my window sticker is no help. It shows the 6MT in the "standard equipment" section. I thought the 8AT was slightly more but since I wasn't considering one I didn't make notes.

I think that a 6MT could fetch a premium selling now, but would require waiting for the right buyer. As always, the best negotiating chip is the freedom to walk away.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Real question is what did it sell for (at auction)??
I think you would be lucky to get that price for any 6S of that vintage with those miles.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Real question is what did it sell for (at auction)??
I think you would be lucky to get that price for any 6S of that vintage with those miles.
I'm not sure what you're asking. If it was the carsandbids car it sold for $32,750, and it was a base model.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

I thought that was a listing for auction- not a completed sale.
If it actually sold for that price, I guess it is encouraging for all of us.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

About 1000 manual F-types were sold in the US and Canada between 2016 and 2019 model years. That's one reason the market is thin, another is that people who have them tend to keep them. I saw strong interest when I sold my 2016 base manual in May 2021. The prior month I was lucky to find my current 2017 S convertible manual with 6400 miles though this forum. I paid what I deem a market-correct price with no regret, though some may have seen it as above market.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:36 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
I paid what I deem a market-correct price with no regret, though some may have seen it as above market.
A car is "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it, so there's no definitive answer to the value of a vehicle. If it sells at the asking price, that's its market value - if it doesn't, it isn't. So you have to find someone who wants what you've got and agrees with you on the price - easy!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Portlander (01-29-2024), Robert R Gilbert (01-31-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:59 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Lots of great advice about market value for V6 MT cars…
Me? I hope to keep the F-Type MT alive with upgrade flywheel and clutch options.
So, jump in with both feet and enjoy the ride.
Long live the manual!

The following users liked this post:
Robert R Gilbert (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 271 Posts

There are a number of auction results for manual F-Types on both Cars & Bids and Bring A Trailer. That's the best gauge of the market, because you see actual buyer prices instead of asking prices.