Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I let the R go yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 11:17 PM
Cgo
Received 234 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard
Congrats on the new car! Those AMG GTs are fantastic. They are faster and look more exotic then our f-types. The cost do reflect that though. I am too saving up for one in the near future.
Faster? Idk, last I checked the 21+ R has more HP and quicker zero to 60.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by eeeeek
The Vantage was another car on my short list and was what ultimately pushed me to go SVR over R. While I liked the Vantage a little more in some ways (some of that was just the whole mystique of the name), I could not justify the large price difference. At the end of the day, the ways the Vantage was better were so very slight...
Yeah, no SVR for me since I bought new. My 2021 F type R is essentially the SVR now with the 575hp supercharged engine, all wheel drive, and trans.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:52 AM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Seems hard to contrast Mercedes and Jaguar, just like it's hard to compare Germany and the UK.

If people truly understood how nice F Types were, there would be many more out there and exclusivity would no longer be a factor. I am sure the AMG-GT is a very nice car, but it's a Mercedes, and like our cars, come with legacy baggage. A woman I was dating in the early 2000's had a SLK230 and it was one of the worst cars I've ever driven. To me, MB is first and foremost a maker of big sedans [and now SUVs]. Other than a couple of classic sports cars, e.g., 50's 300SL's, and the 60's 230/250/280SL's, there's not much to holler about from the modern era.

Jaguar is much more similar to Porsche where much of the allure is internal [Porsche, intellectual; Jaguar, emotional]. Mercedes was as much a taxi as it was a status symbol for the nouveau riche. Build quality and reliability suffered throughout the decades for cars that should have been near flawless considering their price tags. Styling has always been Teutonic [sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice].

The beauty of Jaguar is in its simplicity of design and functionality. The F Type only gives you what you need and little else in a package that is truly affordable to buy and keep. The fact that it is also quite reliable is a serious bonus because if you find yourself a mate with these kinds of looks, I can guarantee you that affordability will not factor into your experience!

The following 2 users liked this post by synthesis:
scm (07-22-2023), spegor (07-30-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 12:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice car. i myself went the other direction, already have something fast in the form of my bike so i needed a truck as the two go together for various reasons. plus there's all the other truck stuff that one can do.

rims sold, now all i have left are the tires from my jag but i still think about that car on occasion. was great for high population areas like this where sometimes the parking spaces are only jag sized but not corvette or mercedes sized =D

Old 07-22-2023, 04:05 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
Seems hard to contrast Mercedes and Jaguar, just like it's hard to compare Germany and the UK.

If people truly understood how nice F Types were, there would be many more out there and exclusivity would no longer be a factor. I am sure the AMG-GT is a very nice car, but it's a Mercedes, and like our cars, come with legacy baggage. A woman I was dating in the early 2000's had a SLK230 and it was one of the worst cars I've ever driven. To me, MB is first and foremost a maker of big sedans [and now SUVs]. Other than a couple of classic sports cars, e.g., 50's 300SL's, and the 60's 230/250/280SL's, there's not much to holler about from the modern era.

Jaguar is much more similar to Porsche where much of the allure is internal [Porsche, intellectual; Jaguar, emotional]. Mercedes was as much a taxi as it was a status symbol for the nouveau riche. Build quality and reliability suffered throughout the decades for cars that should have been near flawless considering their price tags. Styling has always been Teutonic [sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice].

The beauty of Jaguar is in its simplicity of design and functionality. The F Type only gives you what you need and little else in a package that is truly affordable to buy and keep. The fact that it is also quite reliable is a serious bonus because if you find yourself a mate with these kinds of looks, I can guarantee you that affordability will not factor into your experience!
I can't tell if this is satire or not.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I can vividly remember several years ago I was driving my XKR down the highway. The XKR was a very pretty car, to my mind prettier than the F Type in some ways. Anyway in my rear view mirror I see a white SLS coming up, it sounded incredible (maybe one of the 6.3's) and looked like a rock star. I kinda felt like one of the lesser known Baldwin or Hemsworth brothers driving near it. Then up comes a 599GTO in matte black and blasted past - what an incredibly menacing car, it looked like something batman would drive and sounded like it belonged on a race track. The SLS peeled off after the 599, they must have been mates. I was pretty much left with my jaw in my lap.

Not much point to the story other than this thread reminded me, the Benz is a very good looking car, congratulations!

Old 07-22-2023, 04:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice! Hope you have miles of smiles!

Old 07-22-2023, 05:32 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sovande
I can't tell if this is satire or not.
I can tell this is passive aggressive.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Solid choice. It was on my short list and I test drove a low mileage roadster. If it hadn’t been for some pesky rattles that irritated me, I would very likely be driving it instead of the R. I have no complaints about the R though. Bought it with 5000 miles on the clock and it has been rock solid. Enjoy the new ride!

Old 07-24-2023, 02:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by DNAer
It was on my short list and I test drove a low mileage roadster. If it hadn’t been for some pesky rattles that irritated me, I would very likely be driving it instead of the R. I have no complaints about the R though. Bought it with 5000 miles on the clock and it has been rock solid. Enjoy the new ride!
Whatever happened to legendary German build quality?

Old 07-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by Sovande
Interestingly, I was able to quickly find three head to head reviews from Car & Driver, Motor Trend and Evo and none said the F-Type was better. In fact, C&D rated the AMG the car if the year in 2016 and the F-Type was 9th. Perhaps they all got it wrong.

I obviously think the F-Type is wonderful. But discounting the AMG GT seems a bit short sighted.
I like them both, but the R/SVR sounds better. Plus, I think it's cool to have a Brittish sports car. If I had room, I'd get a GT also, I think they're nasty looking.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha you went the other way around.

In the last couple years I had the Aston Martin Vantage (new), AMG GTS, 911 Turbo 4S (992), R8 V10 Spyder and now the F Type R. I probably should have started the other way around but I can tell you in terms of performance, I don't feel the F Type R as any inferior to the other previous vehicles.

GTS and R8 in terms of looks are the more striking imo and I enjoyed the looks it got me especially I had both wrapped and I kinda miss that in the F Type R comparatively and that's the only 'regret', but otherwise I don't find it inferior in any way compared to the rest.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Just saw a white AM Vanquish at my local hardware store!!
Figured the owner was just buying DIY supplies!
Not sure what MY but looked new.
IMO, did not compare to the F-Type visually, though can't speak to performance.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:42 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers, but the shape of this Mercedes does nothing for me (at least in pictures). In complete fairness, I've never seen one in the flesh, have never driven one, etc...

Must say the front shot there does look pretty menacing though

I'm also a sucker for a black car. Could never own one but man they look better than every other color when looked after etc...That's the problem for me, don't want the maintenance realities around one.

All this said, congrats! At the end of the day all that matters is YOUR opinion.

Had a snooty experience at a Mercedes dealership with a friend of mine one time, and that also has psychologically soured me on Mercedes a bit...That's not helping either ;-)