F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soda spill! Agghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 11:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soda spill! Agghhh!

I should know better than taking the Cat for a fast food pickup, but never expected that the cashier would accidentally dump not one, but TWO 16oz soft drinks in my lap. I felt bad, as it was a special-needs girl, so I managed to hold my temper and not make her feel bad.

Spills can be cleaned up, but the bigger issue is that the pool of soda in the driver’s seat caused some of the finish to come off of the ivory leather:

Any good thoughts on how best to repair this? I spoke to the manager on duty, and the franchise’s owner will be contacting me tomorrow. I have no interest in being punitive, but I do expect to be compensated for a repair.

To make matters even worse, I didn’t even get my onion rings.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Try here: https://www.seatdoctors.com
I have used their leather dye on my Red Zone seats and it has been great - perfect colour match, easy to use and lasts for ages.
They can match your Ivory colour for sure.
Just pour a little on a soft cloth such as a microfibre cloth and dab it on (don't rub or wipe), let it dry then repeat two or three times.
The only hassle might be excess dye sticking to the stitching but you should be able to get most of it off by gently rubbing with a damp cloth.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Try here: https://www.seatdoctors.com
I have used their leather dye on my Red Zone seats and it has been great - perfect colour match, easy to use and lasts for ages.
They can match your Ivory colour for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion; I have their site bookmarked, as well as Colourlock's (theirs seems to be much more expensive; maybe due to shipping from UK?). Once I have a compensation plan in place from the owner, I will likely be ordering this.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Just pour a little on a soft cloth such as a microfibre cloth and dab it on (don't rub or wipe), let it dry then repeat two or three times.
The only hassle might be excess dye sticking to the stitching but you should be able to get most of it off by gently rubbing with a damp cloth.
I am a bit concerned about getting dye on the Mineral stitching; I plan to try to carefully apply with a cotton swab to try to avoid the stitching. The seat already had some scuffing; this may be a good opportunity to try to repair that as well.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

I would consider having an upholstery shop handle it also. They can typically clean, recondition, and match the color perfectly. I only know this because of an incident my wife had in one of her BMW's

Good luck,
DC

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
I would consider having an upholstery shop handle it also. They can typically clean, recondition, and match the color perfectly. I only know this because of an incident my wife had in one of her BMW's

Good luck,
DC
DC - since you & I are neighbors, do you have anyone in the CI area you might recommend? The restaurant owner is going to pay for it, so I'd like it done right.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MidLifeinTN
DC - since you & I are neighbors, do you have anyone in the CI area you might recommend? The restaurant owner is going to pay for it, so I'd like it done right.
These are more near me...But I think I used one of them (it has been a while). Both have 5 Star Google ratings and do auto work. I would give one of them a try if you do not have any closer. Also, as I recall, I think I actually called the BMW dealer (you could call any dealer) and ask them who they use /recommend.

We had one of the 1000 shades of tan BMW interiors, and it looked like iodine was spilled on ours (she never knew what it was...you know how that goes ). When they were done, you could not find it. Same hue, and texture exactly.

Good luck.

DC

Van Hook Upholstery

Twin City Upholstery

MidLifeinTN (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I ordered from Seatdoctors for my Brouge interior after my watch put marks on the door arm rest. Worked great.

MidLifeinTN (06-30-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If their soda removed the finish off your leather seat, what does it do to your internal organs?

Old 07-07-2021, 11:24 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit-Type
If their soda removed the finish off your leather seat, what does it do to your internal organs?
Are internal organs made of leather?

Old 07-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Are internal organs made of leather?
No leather for your internals (Maybe some deviated stitching, depending on your health hx) The PH of your stomach (Pepsin) is about 2 (1.5 to 3.9 ) Similar to Hydrochloric Acid...So innards are pretty resilient in spots ..haha

Great question too!

DC

Old 07-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Can't be very positive, I'm afraid.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:26 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Quite the contrary - you should see what vomiting on the leather seat does to the finish

Old 07-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Quite the contrary - you should see what vomiting on the leather seat does to the finish
An experience I hope to permanently avoid...soda was bad enough.