F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some bluetooth OBD2 Drains Battery - help find the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Unhingd - thanks for the input. Does anyone know how someone might be able to check if they have received this 'infotainment' update? Also, when did it become available?
I suspect a dealer could scan your key fob and pull the records from the JLR system on all updates performed on a given vehicle. The original notice of this set of updates was sent on 2/13/17 and an identical one again on 9/29/17, so I suspect it is referring to the exact same update(s).

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Misujerr (01-24-2018), ScubaAddict (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I can confirm #1 causes battery drain. Need to do more checking in relation to closing it down in torque first to see if problem is resolved and or disconnecting and reconnecting battery with odb adapter in place

The following users liked this post:
ScubaAddict (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
I can confirm #1 causes battery drain. Need to do more checking in relation to closing it down in torque first to see if problem is resolved and or disconnecting and reconnecting battery with odb adapter in place
I use #1 with Torque and it's never caused any drain.
But I shut the app down and remove the elm327 from the OBD2 port when not in use.

ScubaAddict (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I use #1 with Torque and it's never caused any drain.
But I shut the app down and remove the elm327 from the OBD2 port when not in use.
That is good to know. Thank you for your feedback! What year/model do you have?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
That is good to know. Thank you for your feedback! What year/model do you have?
Check my sig!

ScubaAddict (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM

LOL! My Bad - not sure how I missed that!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Default Number 5....

Number 5 drained my battery after plugging it in. Haven't tried it again since then.

ScubaAddict (01-23-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 06:09 PM

RESULTS of BLUETOOTH ADAPTER TESTING

WHAT IS KNOWN: Red Triangle Light on center console: (car is off)
1. Will turn off after 3 minutes of locking doors. (i.e. it is best to lock doors after each test to make for the quickest results)
2. Will turn off after 15 minutes leaving doors unlocked.
3. Will not turn off at all if you are in 'battery drain mode'.
4. If in battery drain mode, you can only stop the process by disconnecting the battery for a couple seconds.
5. Disconnecting battery causes a loss of date and time settings. It did not clear any other settings that I could find - radio stations, bluetooth devices, etc all seemed intact after multiple disconnects of battery.

TESTS: Consisted of me doing multiple tests, followed by closing and locking the doors, waiting 3 minutes for the light to go off (Much of the issues found are below). I did about 30-40 different tests to make my conclusions.

BLUETOOTH DEVICE: Green in picture. Notes:
1. This is only for Android and Windows and connects using bluetooth. (No IOS)
2. This is a higher end OBD module that uses a faster and more advanced chipset then the generic OBD scanners.
3. This does have a sleep mode (no effect on battery drain issue)
4. This DOES cause the battery drain issue.

NEW THEORY: Do WIFI (non-bluetooth) connected OBD devices connecting to Apple ipod or iphone cause the same problem?

TESTS DONE SHOW THE FOLLOWING (using green OBD device in picture):
1. Once in battery drain mode, attaching a OBD device known not to cause the draining issue will not "flip the switch" back. Wired VSwitch (Tuning module) was used after the Green OBD scanner had initiated the battery drain mode.
2. Connecting the Green OBD scanner, turning on the car and setting the scanner in "bluetooth pairing" mode did not cause the car to go into drain mode. You can start the car several times, and battery drain mode doesn't start. As soon as the Android phone or Windows laptop CONNECTED TO THE OBD DEVICE USING BLUETOOTH, the battery drain mode was started. This was concluded after several tests checking every step of the way.
3. Turning off the App OR Exiting the App AND/OR turning off bluetooth prior to turning off the car made no difference. Once bluetooth connected, the battery drain mode started, and no way was found to stop it.
4. Multiple apps were tested including Torque Pro, OBDwiz and Track Addict on Android and OBDwiz on Windows 10.
5. Left OBD in, disconnected/reconnected battery and could start the car, put into pairing mode, stop the car, remove the OBD device or leave it in. The battery drain would not start until Bluetooth was actually connect to phone or laptop.
6. I may have forgotten one or two tests, go ahead and ask any questions if you got them.

INTERESTING NOTE
1. The only way I got the light to turn off after battery drain was initiated was to disconnect the battery OR start the car using the phone app. Once the doors were opened or car stopped with the phone app, however, the light returned.

New theory - would WIRELESS (Wifi) devices work? Does anyone have a wifi (instead of bluetooth) OBD device?
Does anyone use their IOS device to connect to the OBD (bluetooth or wireless). Does it cause the problem or not?

Last edited by ScubaAddict; 01-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.
4x4uk (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

WiFi devices cause the same problem.

4x4uk (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Did starting the car normally with the key "fix" the car and get it out of battery drain mode??

There's literally no reason for iOS/vs android or wifi/bluetooth or wired/not wired to have any relevance to any of this. Creating giant collages of images does not add anything to the significance of anecdotal evidence.

What you are in search of is a product that does not trigger the problem that exists with some of our F-types.

I can tell you that Autel Maxidiag Elite does not cause any problem on my car. Can't speak for other people's cars though. It might cause the problem on other's cars.

It's a good tool with thorough coverage of all systems in nearly all cars. All of the above tools only do the government mandated engine/emissions stuff called "powertrain"... very limited capabilities.

Kind of wish I was selling them back when the margins weren't so thin in this space, but I never have and still don't.

Giant photo and amazon link to follow with the motif:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 01-25-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Did starting the car normally with the key "fix" the car and get it out of battery drain mode??

There's literally no reason for iOS/vs android or wifi/bluetooth or wired/not wired to have any relevance to any of this. Creating giant collages of images does not add anything to the significance of anecdotal evidence.

What you are in search of is a product that does not trigger the problem that exists with some of our F-types.

I can tell you that Autel Maxidiag Elite does not cause any problem on my car. Can't speak for other people's cars though. It might cause the problem on other's cars.

It's a good tool with thorough coverage of all systems in nearly all cars. All of the above tools only do the government mandated engine/emissions stuff called "powertrain"... very limited capabilities.

Kind of wish I was selling them back when the margins weren't so thin in this space, but I never have and still don't.

Giant photo and amazon link to follow with the motif:

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MD802-M.../dp/B0090B7M2O

Appreciate the feedback.

Turning on the car with the key does not turn the light off.

IOS vs android and bluetooth vs wifi was just a theory. No worries - no more images coming from me!

Probably correct about different cars may have problem with different products. Nobody was delving into the issue, and I though a little research might help find something people could buy with confidence. Didn't work they way I had hoped.

I appreciate those who contributed their info to my cause, and I apologize for the large images.

Take care.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery draw after OBDII or Allstate Milewise Device connection

I concur with all others who have reported dead batteries after attaching/removing an OBDII. However now my recently subscribed Allstate Milewise insurance program device which tracks my mileage via the OBD port is triggering the same parasitic draw from the battery causing a dead battery if not driven at least every other day. I suspicion a software problem and or the Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] of my 2016 F-Type R is not functioning properly. I purchased but haven't installed yet an Antigravity H*/Group-49 Lithium 80 AH Battery which has its own Drain Proof battery management system. I now have an appointment 2/26/22 with the Jaguar Dealer who is going to help in the troubleshooting starting with a software update check and then a draw test, etc. Hoping to get to the root of the problem.....Later. BTW I have also installed a quick disconnect on the negative ground cable.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by chasers03
I concur with all others who have reported dead batteries after attaching/removing an OBDII. However now my recently subscribed Allstate Milewise insurance program device which tracks my mileage via the OBD port is triggering the same parasitic draw from the battery causing a dead battery if not driven at least every other day. I suspicion a software problem and or the Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] of my 2016 F-Type R is not functioning properly. I purchased but haven't installed yet an Antigravity H*/Group-49 Lithium 80 AH Battery which has its own Drain Proof battery management system. I now have an appointment 2/26/22 with the Jaguar Dealer who is going to help in the troubleshooting starting with a software update check and then a draw test, etc. Hoping to get to the root of the problem.....Later. BTW I have also installed a quick disconnect on the negative ground cable.
I doubt you'll get any satisfaction as long as you use that device. Based on black box testing I have concluded that some devices get the system into a state where it does not properly shut down, and that after disconnecting the device, no number of stop and start cycles will restore it. A "battery reset" is necessary.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by chasers03
I concur with all others who have reported dead batteries after attaching/removing an OBDII. However now my recently subscribed Allstate Milewise insurance program device which tracks my mileage via the OBD port is triggering the same parasitic draw from the battery causing a dead battery if not driven at least every other day. I suspicion a software problem and or the Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] of my 2016 F-Type R is not functioning properly.
I suspect it's the device itself that's draining the battery, which is not the same as the module latching caused by improperly disconnecting an OBD device (I'm assuming your insurance device is permanently plugged in?). So it's the device at fault, not the car, in this instance.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:42 PM

Did some analysis of amp draw, with & without Allstate Milewise or Blue Drive device installed and got the following results...Car status with & without device attached
  1. No device installed, no module latched, car off and unlocked, Hazard light went off indefinitely=0.03 amp draw.
  2. Inserted device with ignition off, unlocked, Hazard light turned off, after 15 min.=0.04 amp
  3. With device still installed, started engine and after stopping and not locking the car, the hazard light stayed on indefinitely=2.4 amp
  4. Started the engine, removed the device, stopped the engine, the hazard light stayed on indefinitely=2.4 amp
  5. Drove car and after shut down, the hazard light stayed on indefinitely, no device attached=2.4 amp
  6. To avoid battery drain, disconnected and reconnected battery at negative ground, the hazard light turned off indefinitely,no device attached=0.03 amp
Conclusion so far is that installing a reader device [Allstate Milewise or Blue Driver] in my 2016 F-type- R & after car operation, a parasitic latching & 2.4 amp draw is initiated in some module? which will only become unlatched by disconnecting/reconnecting the negative ground. Reader device removal after car is run has no effect on this parasitic load amp draw...
Have appointment with Jag dealer to determine if software will cure or ????. Perhaps pulling fuses in latched condition will narrow down what is causing the battery drain......

Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

So it appears the device not only drains the battery once it's been activated, but also triggers the latching fault. Game, set and match.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:38 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Jaguar has never acknowledged that this is a flaw, so good luck.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by scm
So it appears the device not only drains the battery once it's been activated, but also triggers the latching fault. Game, set and match.
I don't come to the same conclusion as you have. My testing of current draw says that the 2 OBD connected devices I used only trigger the latching fault but after removal the draw remains the same once the latching fault is in effect....
Perhaps my drain explanations aren't clear.....Have you done any testing?

Old 01-14-2022, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That matches my testing from a few years ago. I used the same methodology but did not connect an ammeter to quantify the current draw, but the qualitative results were the same. I also concluded that once in that state no number of stop/restart cycles would clear it and the "battery module reset" was required. I think it's a software defect that will never be resolved.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:06 PM

If the Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] of my 2016 F-Type R were functioning properly I would think it would protect my battery from draining after the parasitic load is latched by using these OBD devices? If so I wouldn't need the expensive Anti Gravity Battery I just installed because my Jaguar branded battery drained down twice.
I am wondering after reading in the F-Type repair manual
"the system will be set in transit mode on delivery. Transit mode has no Quiescent current control module [QCCM] operation and the relays remain closed. Therefore battery drain could occur and system will not react to it. A PDI [delivery?] process requires the system to be put into Normal mode, which enables the quiescent current control module [QCCM], before handing over to the customer."
if my [IPSM] is disabled because my car wasn't put thru the PDI process properly and put into Normal mode???

Quick Reply: Some bluetooth OBD2 Drains Battery - help find the fix!