F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some quick Mityvac help?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 12:38 PM
|
Default Some quick Mityvac help?

I’m about to do the first ever oil change on my F-type, and first time using one of these extractors.

I took the car for a proper long ride before doing a final oil level check ahead. I arrived back home with the car in my garage a half hour ago. How long would you wait before extracting?

I realized that the standard suggestion is to wait 10 to 20 mins after engine shutdown before extraction, but I’ve since realized that advice assumes you only warm the car up a bit at idle before extraction.

I don’t really know quickly how to know what the oil temp is. I’m assuming because I proper drove a while I’d have to wait for more than 10-20 mins?

Mityvac says 80 degs celcious for the oil before extracting.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking maybe starting a half hour from now, so that would be a total of an hour since shutting down after the drive.

Old Yesterday | 12:47 PM
|

Geez, just the to-the-touch temperature of the extraction straw on the car at 45 mins in here says she’s still too hot. Until I can at least somewhat touch my finger on that without a problem I would imagine it would be not good to put the plastic Mityvac straw on there.

Old Yesterday | 01:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I use the Jag procedure, except with the MityVac rather than using the drain plug.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wrsql...=uokxxc73&dl=0

I run the engine for 10 min, then shut it down. Crack the filter element, and let it sit for another 10-ish minutes. Then vacuum it out. Yup, it’s hot.

Old Yesterday | 01:06 PM
|

Yeah, again, I deviated from the idle part…lol…Filled up with gas and wanted to disperse the Ethanol Shield I put in for storage through the system a bit prior to changing oil. Kinda forgot to consider the difference between idling and full on driving ;-0

‘Everything is pretty damn not for sure…I’ll probably wait until I can hold my finger on the car’s metal straw and give er’ I guess. I’m an hour in now after engine shutdown.Worse case I’m buying a new Mityvac if I melt it ;-0 lol

Sure it will be fine…I heard it being too hot is hard on the seals of the Mityvac as well or something, not just a concern of the plastics.

Old Yesterday | 01:20 PM
Default 20-30 minutes

Since you had a good long drive, I would open the hood and let things cool down a bit. The oil is, by weight, really thin, so should drain down fairly quickly. Be sure to loosen, but not remove, the filter canister. Hot oil is not fun to work with, hence letting things cool. If you have one of those temp guns, you can see where temps are and judge for yourself. Perhaps aim it at the oil filler area?? When I did my extraction, I drove it to where the engine was fully warmed ( gauge indicator) I had some other stuff to do, and got back to it about an hour later. The oil was still quite warm and flowed easily.
Ambient temperature also may make a difference. It was April in Wisconsin, so maybe 50 degrees out that day? Check the current oil level BEFORE anything else.
Make sure car is level, extract all you can. Make note of how much. Do the flush oil, if you want. Put in what you took out, of the original oil. Lube the o-ring on the filter housing and install it. Start the car, let it idle down. Let it sit, 15 20 minutes. Check the level without starting the engine. Add or extract oil as needed to get it to the spec mark. 7.25 LITRES is the spec for my 2017 v6. AWD and other form factors have differing amounts
This is the first car I had without a dipstick and where I could extract the oil from the top, pretty nervewracking. As long as you put in what you took out, check a few times to make sure the level is good, you should be OK. From what I've read, it's only driving for extended periods with too much or too little oil that can create a problem. I checked mine a few times in the week following the change, all good.

Old Yesterday | 01:24 PM
|

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Since you had a good long drive, I would open the hood and let things cool down a bit. The oil is, by weight, really thin, so should drain down fairly quickly. Be sure to loosen, but not remove, the filter canister. Hot oil is not fun to work with, hence letting things cool. If you have one of those temp guns, you can see where temps are and judge for yourself. Perhaps aim it at the oil filler area?? When I did my extraction, I drove it to where the engine was fully warmed ( gauge indicator) I had some other stuff to do, and got back to it about an hour later. The oil was still quite warm and flowed easily.
Ambient temperature also may make a difference. It was April in Wisconsin, so maybe 50 degrees out that day? Check the current oil level BEFORE anything else.
Make sure car is level, extract all you can. Make note of how much. Do the flush oil, if you want. Put in what you took out, of the original oil. Lube the o-ring on the filter housing and install it. Start the car, let it idle down. Let it sit, 15 20 minutes. Check the level without starting the engine. Add or extract oil as needed to get it to the spec mark. 7.25 LITRES is the spec for my 2017 v6. AWD and other form factors have differing amounts
This is the first car I had without a dipstick and where I could extract the oil from the top, pretty nervewracking. As long as you put in what you took out, check a few times to make sure the level is good, you should be OK. From what I've read, it's only driving for extended periods with too much or too little oil that can create a problem. I checked mine a few times in the week following the change, all good.
Thanks Valerie, I’m all set to go other than this little pickle I threw at myself last minute ;-0

By your 1 hour suggestion/experience, I guess my plan to do it here at the 1.5 hour mark after shutdown in a few mins should be good. I feel like I can basically touch the metal straw in the car now and hold my hand there. Good enough for me.

Thanks

Old Yesterday | 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

M only comment is:

0W-20 oil ALWAYS flows quickly! LOL

Good luck. You will get 'used to it'.

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (Yesterday)