F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit my car and took off.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Ah, so the damage was cause by the diagonal hit against the noise wall. Looks like it pushed the back of the quarter panel forward. Might be an interesting fix and not merely a flesh wound. I wonder how a diminished value claim works with your own insurance? Surely that's $15k or more worth of lost value at sale time.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Ah, so the damage was cause by the diagonal hit against the noise wall. Looks like it pushed the back of the quarter panel forward. Might be an interesting fix and not merely a flesh wound.
The askew wheel is sufficient evidence of damage far more than skin deep. Hopefully, it's just the result of one or more broken suspension parts (e.g. a-arm) rather than a dislocated pivot mount.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

This also looks like it will have caused damage to the differential based on how far bent that back wheel is. I would almost guess that your car is totaled based on the physical damage.

Related: There was a report today in the news that more cars are being "totaled" than ever before due to all of the new safety monitoring, fancy metals and other technologically advanced systems, being put into cars. Apparently, its far more expensive to repair those broken items to restore the cars back to working and driving.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Which is why insurance rates just keep going up above inflation...
Larry

Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Regarding the damage, the car never hit the noise wall. It got close but there was about 10-12 inches of room between the bumper and the sound wall, and the rear wheels had dug themselves into the dirt. The damage on the qtr panel is from the initial hit from the BMW then when the car spun the rear drivers side wheel hit a big solid curb (which you can see in the 2nd pic) which broke the wheel, axle, etc. I took a look behind the wheel this morning and noticed a good bit of broken suspension parts, but IMO its looking pretty bad... What sucks the most is that the car was 2 months old, had 1600 miles on it, still had that new car smell, and now I'm out my initial 3k down, and and, on top of all that, if they do total it out and I get a new one, who knows if the Meridian software update will fix the shitty sound issue like it did on this one!

lol, oh well.... its parked, rather "beached", in my driveway, I dont know if I should have it towed to a shop first or have the insurance company send someone out to my place to inspect it...

Old 05-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NoScurdyJags

lol, oh well.... its parked, rather "beached", in my driveway, I dont know if I should have it towed to a shop first or have the insurance company send someone out to my place to inspect it...
The shop has to be Jag certified to work on these aluminum cars. Don't let the insurance company try to hand you a check, but rather get them to agree to settle up with the certified Jag shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
NoScurdyJags (05-08-2017), Ranchero50 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Seems like you are ok and not hurt which is the only good part of this whole scene. So sorry about your car.

It does seem to me that when I am in my F type, there are some people that drive like idiots around me, likely some sort of jealous response .. possible this is what was going on.
Lawrence
+1 in regards to how some people tend to drive around me

Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Absolutely would only let a jag certified shop work on it. I had my XF flatbedded directly from the site of where it was hit to the dealer's shop. Insurance company sent someone there to look at it before they disassembled. The insurance company gave me their assessment plus whatever else was found when disassembled. Dealers shop kept insurance company informed so they could approve any deviations.

Last edited by jaguny; 05-09-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:55 PM

I had it towed to DC Autocraft in Burbank. This was the shop that was recommended by the dealer. The place was spotless! Very very clean, the person that checked in my car explained the entire process and was very helpful with any questions I had. They specialize in exotics, I saw a couple McLarens, lots of 911's, Lambos, RRs, R8's, Teslas, etc,... It definitely put my mind at ease that they would do a proper job repairing my car, if Wawanesa doesn't decide to total it.

So now I just have to wait to find out what will happen. In the mean time Im rockin a gutless 4 cyl jeep cherokee from Enterprise....woohoo..... .... .. .

DC Autocraft - Burbank, Los Angeles CA

Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

I had it towed to DC Autocraft in Burbank. This was the shop that was recommended by the dealer. The place was spotless! Very very clean, the person that checked in my car explained the entire process and was very helpful with any questions I had. They specialize in exotics, I saw a couple McLarens, lots of 911's, Lambos, RRs, R8's, Teslas, etc,... It definitely put my mind at ease that they would do a proper job repairing my car, if Wawanesa doesn't decide to total it.

So now I just have to wait to find out what will happen. In the mean time Im rockin a gutless 4 cyl jeep cherokee from Enterprise....woohoo..... .... .. .

DC Autocraft - Burbank, Los Angeles CA
Did you ever get an opportunity to install the shifter?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Did you ever get an opportunity to install the shifter?
No, I wanted to do it the prior weekend but work sent me up to Sacramento for 5 days so I didn't get a chance and now this happened. I figure if they do end up repairing the car I could ask them to install the shifter as well...

Old 05-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

No, I wanted to do it the prior weekend but work sent me up to Sacramento for 5 days so I didn't get a chance and now this happened. I figure if they do end up repairing the car I could ask them to install the shifter as well...
I was thinking that you might have to remove the shifter if they total the car, so it is best you did not have it installed yet.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:13 PM

I was thinking that you might have to remove the shifter if they total the car, so it is best you did not have it installed yet.
Yea definitely. I leased this car without even once sitting in it to see how it felt or driving it. This time, (If they total my car) I think I will test drive the 8spd to see how it compares to the MT. It obviously is faster and gets higher MPG than the MT, but is it as fun

On a side note, I saw a red Alfa 4C yesterday and damn it looked good! Its so impractical and just a fun weekend car, but, if those lease well, I might have to drive one....

Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yea definitely. I leased this car without even once sitting in it to see how it felt or driving it. This time, (If they total my car) I think I will test drive the 8spd to see how it compares to the MT. It obviously is faster and gets higher MPG than the MT, but is it as fun

On a side note, I saw a red Alfa 4C yesterday and damn it looked good! Its so impractical and just a fun weekend car, but, if those lease well, I might have to drive one....
If your car gets totaled and you choose not to get another MT F-Type, I'll find a home for your shifter.

The following users liked this post:
NoScurdyJags (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Go with the V8. I had a MT V6S on order, and then I rented out a V8 while in London, and instantly I changed my mind and switched to the R and I don't regret it. I have been a MT driver all my life, and I thought I'd never go back to an automatic until I experienced the ZF

Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 PM

If your car gets totaled and you choose not to get another MT F-Type, I'll find a home for your shifter.
Thanks bud! Ill definitely keep that in mind but my friend 818 wouldn't let me hear the end of it if I didn't give him first dibs!

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Go with the V8. I had a MT V6S on order, and then I rented out a V8 while in London, and instantly I changed my mind and switched to the R and I don't regret it. I have been a MT driver all my life, and I thought I'd never go back to an automatic until I experienced the ZF
Yea man, nothing would make me happier than to get an R! Hopefully I can make that a reality in the near future but for the time being base model for me... lol

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks bud! Ill definitely keep that in mind but my friend 818 wouldn't let me hear the end of it if I didn't give him first dibs!
Not to worry. I'm making certain I hold one aside for 818 until he decides.

The following users liked this post:
818 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you made it out alive. Sucks for the car. What part of Burbank/LA did this happen at? I work in Glendale and every other car here is a white BMW with tinted windows.

The following 2 users liked this post by SGT h0llywood:
818 (05-12-2017), NoScurdyJags (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood
Glad you made it out alive. Sucks for the car. What part of Burbank/LA did this happen at? I work in Glendale and every other car here is a white BMW with tinted windows.
Thanks man, this happened on the SB-5 on-ramp on Roscoe Blvd (in Sun Valley near Arco gas station on Glenoaks). No kidding about the BMW's, you cant throw a rock and not hit one! When I took delivery of my car I was driving down Glenoaks from Glendale towards Burbank, there was a guy in a 320i and then one person in a Camry and another in a IS200t driving like fools around me trying to race!?!?!? I just laughed, but, its insane how this car provokes that reaction from others...or maybe its just a Glendale thing!

Old 05-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

So sorry. I hope it turns out well for you! What a Country we have become!