Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS System Limited Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SOS System Limited Functionality

Hey guys,

Ive been getting the error code SOS System Limited Functionality. I took it in yesterday and let them know at service they said they will look at it. They told me its a software issue. I looked at my paper work today when i picked it up it states that they were not able to find the fault. The service advisor told me they handled it but literally 5 hours after i picked it up I got the same error code.

Whats the deal with this? Anybody else have this issue?

Thank You

Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I had the same issue.

The telematics module went bad and had to be replaced under warranty. I would recommend you get it fixed right away, because if the warning turns into SOS System Not Available the car won't start.

This is what happened to me first. But after trying a battery disconnect and reconnect I got the warning SOS System Limited Functionality and could start the car.

I'm betting that this is what the dealership did on your car to reset the system, but the issue is probably the module itself which is why the warning has come back.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem and they had to replace the antenna (or maybe that is the telematics module). The dealership here did not have any in stock and had to order one.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM

The main thing that worries me is the fact that Jaguar told me they fixed it, but the paper states they were unable to find the fault. That just tells me these service advisors at my Jaguar dealer just don't care. In other words im going to have a lot of issues with this car and no body is going to give a crap about fixing it.

Basically, if in the end they cant fix it and it comes time to possibly lemon the car or something (if it ends up being the case) they will just go and lie and say we never located any issues with the car to cover their asses.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the car under warranty? I had a horrible experience when I first got mine. It was the antenna or whatever that unit is. Apparently there is no way to test it other then putting in a new one to see if the problem gets fixed. At least that was the story I got. And Jag the Jag Service line is very slow (days) in getting back to the dealers. Mine would not do anything without Jags ok. I fibally bitched enough where they pulled the part off a new car. Couple mo the later I got the SOS error and it was the same part. Call Jag and have them open a ticket and start going up the food chain at your dealer. I finally got the owners attention and that's when things got fixed.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz
Is the car under warranty? I had a horrible experience when I first got mine. It was the antenna or whatever that unit is. Apparently there is no way to test it other then putting in a new one to see if the problem gets fixed. At least that was the story I got. And Jag the Jag Service line is very slow (days) in getting back to the dealers. Mine would not do anything without Jags ok. I fibally bitched enough where they pulled the part off a new car. Couple mo the later I got the SOS error and it was the same part. Call Jag and have them open a ticket and start going up the food chain at your dealer. I finally got the owners attention and that's when things got fixed.

My dealer is quite the opposite. I got here they rushed me through the questions and basically pushed me out. When I had more questions she would answer it very fast and very short then quickly made me sign the papers and said we'll call you. I got a call the next day from my service advisor who was not the person i spoke too the first time i went saying my car is ready. Took them less than a day.

When I picked it up I still didnt see my service advisor.

Ive had horrible experiences with service. My last car was a BMW 335 and it was at the service dealer once a month for different reasons ranging from fans failing to front doors not opening from the inside, to tail lights burning out, to a long list of errors on the dash. I dealt with that **** for 3 years and when I tried to lemon it they tell me you can't because it was a different problem every time. After a total 25 service department visits for various reasons they tell me i have no case.

I really hope Jaguar can take better care of their customer than BMW did, cause I really love what they are doing now and I really want to stick around to see what they come up with in the future.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
...if the warning turns into SOS System Not Available the car won't start.
Ugh. This is crazy bad design.

Uncle Fishbits (04-21-2022)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Not reading this because I am jealous you have it and I don't... My BIGGEST gribe with my Canadian 2016....

Old 10-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Breaker841
Not reading this because I am jealous you have it and I don't... My BIGGEST gribe with my Canadian 2016....
Jealous because you dont have a SOS error or because the canadian 2016 does not have the SOS feature? lol

Old 10-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Does the Jag SOS system work off cellular service or is it a satellite system? If cellular then ask yourself if you are in range of cellular service when you see the warning sign. It could simply be the system telling you that it can't reach the SOS service itself, right? You can probably verify this by simply driving from the area where you get the error to another area and see if the message goes away. Also note that satellites CAN also be blocked by mountains, bridges, etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Does the Jag SOS system work off cellular service or is it a satellite system? If cellular then ask yourself if you are in range of cellular service when you see the warning sign. It could simply be the system telling you that it can't reach the SOS service itself, right? You can probably verify this by simply driving from the area where you get the error to another area and see if the message goes away. Also note that satellites CAN also be blocked by mountains, bridges, etc.
SOS and Jag Assist both work via the Telematics module, that I believe is cellular based. Could be a SIM card issue or the cell company?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:45 PM

I mean if thats how it works wouldnt everybody who owns a Jag at some point have this error message?

Old 10-26-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AHB900
I mean if thats how it works wouldnt everybody who owns a Jag at some point have this error message?
Not just Jag. It happens to other mfgs as well. However, in those other models there aren't always "alerts" from the system. Think about it. Does your cell BEEP each time it goes out of range? I recall many years back when OnStar was first offered. Someone had crashed in an area that had no coverage and they could not get emergency services. They attempted to sue and failed. Naturally due to time we now have significantly better coverage.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Not just Jag. It happens to other mfgs as well. However, in those other models there aren't always "alerts" from the system. Think about it. Does your cell BEEP each time it goes out of range? I recall many years back when OnStar was first offered. Someone had crashed in an area that had no coverage and they could not get emergency services. They attempted to sue and failed. Naturally due to time we now have significantly better coverage.
I've been plenty of places with the F-Type that had no cellular service and I've never seen the SOS alarm.

Uncle Fishbits (04-21-2022)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've been plenty of places with the F-Type that had no cellular service and I've never seen the SOS alarm.
Yeah same here. I mean if it only happened when I was in the mountains or something id say its possible, but it happens in wide open areas where there is no issue with cell service in any way shape or form.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So I got the same issue. Jag never bothered to actually fix it. The car is still having the issue as of now. They sad its the secondary battery that went dead but they literally didn't do anything about it. I'm trying to see if anyone has a service procedure so I can do it myself. Completely lost faith in my F type at the moment.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
So I got the same issue. Jag never bothered to actually fix it. The car is still having the issue as of now. They sad its the secondary battery that went dead but they literally didn't do anything about it. I'm trying to see if anyone has a service procedure so I can do it myself. Completely lost faith in my F type at the moment.
My second battery has been disconnected for months with no issue. If the second battery is the same one that is used for the eco start.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My second battery,2nd one, died years ago and have no problem.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

My car was in service for a MONTH because incompetence. Got the car back and they didn't even fix this issue. My dealer is the worst thing I've ever experienced.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
My car was in service for a MONTH because incompetence. Got the car back and they didn't even fix this issue. My dealer is the worst thing I've ever experienced.
Sorry to hear that your dealer is making a career out of letting you down. I'm happy with mine and have a good relationship with my Service Advisor. It turns out that I'd known him from years before from motorcycles and roadracing, but I think I'd have gotten the same professional treatment regardless, just missing the occasional nostalgic tales. If you want more information, hit me up in PM. It's a bit of a drive for you, but if you're considering other dealers it's not your farthest option.

Quick Reply: SOS System Limited Functionality